2009 Route Building Competion.

ic ,

You have 33 +/- days before the contest ends , winners to be announced the day after Christmas ! This will be , I believe , the first project you have finished since joining the Forum . Don't let us down !

My thoughts --- ,DLR

Hi Woody,

This is another thread that's completely evaded me - until today.

May I do two things:

1. Offer my services and
2. Make some suggestions for next year's comp?

1. I'm not sure how many people are actually in the midst of creating a route for this competition, but if the screenshots are any indication, it looks like only three. Sending screenshots to you via PM or posting them here means that the route builder will need a hosted account somewhere or a Filcka(?) account. If they send the pics to you, it takes the sting out of things for the casual observer, because they don't see much going on. That of course applies to all route builders who no doubt want to see what the competition is up to. My solution to this problem is simple enough.

I will supply a section in the Trainz Resources Directory for the competition. Each person can have a short writeup about themselves, even a photo if they want it. They can then write a few words about the planned route. Each competitor will then have their photos published in the gallery. I can probably make it so that they can upload their own photos at their leisure. They would do this directly from their home computer in a matter of seconds, just like they would with Flickr.

If you already have photos, we can get the ball rolling immediately. The Judges could then look at all the picks on the Gallery at their leisure.

2. Just a couple of suggestions for next year's competition.

a. I think each route should be tested by the judges. You owe it to the competitors. It also stops people creating dioramas without any meaningful infrastructure (working points, operational ability etc.)

b. Get people to construct the route from assets supplied with out-of-the-box Trainz assets. That way, all the judges will have all the assets and ease of installation could be worth 20 points.

c. Make the route say 4 baseboards long by one baseboard wide so that everyone is on a level playing field.

d. If you really wanted to9 make it interesting, you could make it so that all the completed routes can be linked together. Just make it so that each route has a single track running off each end at baseboard level centred over grid line two. the last two rows of grids at the ends of each baseboard could be left blank so that people could use whatever textures they liked to blend the two routes together.

By doing this, competitors are not only entering a competition, they're also contributing to a community route. This was tried before, but I'm not sure if it ever got off the ground.

Finally, due to incompatibility problems with different Trainz versions, first call for competitors in each of the versions you know are compatible (ie. 2009/10, TC 1.2.3 etc.) Run different categories like the dog show has categories for different breeds, then all version contributors and users will benefit. Obviously the route should be freely available to anyone who wants it.

Finally, but finally, get Auran to show a bit of interest by offering prizes to each winner. A one year FCT or a free copy of Trainz won't break them.

Good luck with this.

John

d. If you really wanted to9 make it interesting, you could make it so that all the completed routes can be linked together. Just make it so that each route has a single track running off each end at baseboard level centred over grid line two. the last two rows of grids at the ends of each baseboard could be left blank so that people could use whatever textures they liked to blend the two routes together.
Are you thinking of the U-Make system?

Finally, but finally, get Auran to show a bit of interest by offering prizes to each winner. A one year FCT or a free copy of Trainz won't break them.
True but still the last Auran competition I don't think the prize was given or it was even finished leaving a sense of distrust for Auran prize offerings.

StorkNest,

U-Make system Probably. I think it was in the days of the pre-forum crash. Did it ever get off the ground?

True but still the last Auran competition . . . I'm not surprised.

I do like the idea of testing the layouts, but I'm an 04 survivor. So....yeah.

I haven't even spoken to Woody yet so I'm actually speaking out of turn. I've PM'd him but he's probably a couple of hours away from answering.

It may turn out that only the latest versions of Trainz qualify, but as older versions still seem to be marketed under different names and there's still a 'older version' following, I'd like to see divisions covering the different 'major' versions. The winner may not necessarily be a 2009/10 user because judging would probably take ease of installation, entertainment value, composition and many other aspects into consideration. We may even get an outsider like a respected artist to judge each route for artistic value as well. Treat it like your local car racing meet. There's a place for mini's and a place for V8's. You won't be left out if I have any input.

I'd like to see the competition run for several months or a year like the current one is doing. That would give people time to face up to, and enjoy the challenge.

This is Woody's baby. I've just offered to help.

U-Make system Probably. I think it was in the days of the pre-forum crash. Did it ever get off the ground?
Yes, modules are available on DLS but over time some module creators missed or forgot some rules so certain things were not always followed.
Information Website: http://trainz.50megs.com/
Has rules and module list, don't think it is complete though. Some non-US modules exist that are not listed.

Once TS2010 comes out it could be considered again.

As to the competition, I would say since it is close to November, take some time and come up with rules for the new competition including anything learned from this one. Start it next year after the holiday rush so it could run for a year.
Set the route limit to number of boards but don't define shape so users can make that how they wish. With the rules here, that's 10 boards, don't limit to 5x2, let someone do 10x1 and another do 3x3 with a 1 board extension.

Might want to look at the U-Make rules, though some of that should change in TS2010.

Last edited:
Does it have to be real????

Hey guys

Just wondering about the route building compettion, does the route have te be a real route????

Thanks, SARRailways

Storknest, do you know who runs that page? I'd like to include it in the directory, but I think it may breach Google's Adsense terms and conditions. If I presented the ads like that on my site, I'd probably be a millionaire by now.

Back