Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Decided to tour the whole NG system of the DLC Murchison 2 Route. This is a preview of other shots to come later.
d6c8cc5a6c34ef759f51d3f3ceb13d83.png

Last edited:
C&O Mallet No. 1309 eases 25 cars of the New River "smokeless" coal back downgrade from a mine in the highlands, bound for Thurmond, W.Va. From there, the coal cars will eventually make their way to the Tidewater coast of Virginia.

C&O_1309_near_Thurmond_1.jpg

C&O_1309_near_Thurmond_2.jpg

C&O_1309_near_Thurmond_3.jpg

Last edited:
Yup
CPU i7-4790 3.6Mhz
RAM DDR3 16GB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB DDR5
OS Win 8.1
$1500

Makes all the difference in the world although I discovered that planting 100s of mile long sugar cane splines could choke it down to a crawl. :hehe:
Yep those splines will do it to you every time!

Train Watching: Thurmond, W.Va. and Vicinity

View from the "crow's nest" of the floodlight tower near the enginehouse...
Thurmond_WVa_1.jpg

From the "residential area" of Thurmond...
Thurmond_WVa_2.jpg

From along the Rend Branch; "Downtown Thurmond" off in the distance...
Rend_Branch_1.jpg

From the Rend Branch, looking down at the bend in New River, from a vantage point about 300 feet in elevation higher than the tracks at the bottom of the gorge...
Rend_Branch_3.jpg

Especially from wva-usa, Glad to see he is getting his Mallets working in TANE after I help him him out confirming his Mallets work in TANE. ;):)

Last edited:
Especially from wva-usa, Glad to see he is getting his Mallets working in TANE after I help him him out confirming his Mallets work in TANE. ;):)

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, thanks for verifying the Mallets work on your Mac. They worked for me "out of the box" on my PC, with no "fixing" needed.

Yes, as you can probably tell, I've been having fun with T:ANE, "Running those New River Trainz!" ;)

Near_McKendree.jpg

Where's 765, 614, and 2101???????? :hehe:

It's the 1950s, so all of those locomotives are still working for a living. ;)

No. 765 is on the Nickel Plate Road; 614 is taking passenger trains back and forth over the Allegheny grade, that lies east of Hinton; and 2101 is home on the Reading.

A C&O H8 accelerates underneath the highway bridge at Stone Cliff, W.Va., after picking up a few more loads at Thurmond to round out the train size to 125 cars of the New River "smokeless" coal. The Stone Cliff Bridge, which carries the Thurmond-McKendree Road (County Route 25) across the New River, was built about 50 years after the mining community of Stone Cliff was established in the late 1870s, following the completion of the C&O's line through the New River Gorge. In 1920, when the coal business was booming, the town's population was 840. Today, Stone Cliff is simply one of the dozens of deserted ghost towns of the New River Gorge.

H&_at_Stone_Cliff_WVa_Shadows.jpg

Last edited:
Back