About my payware CN K1D Pacific Class Steam Locomotive

JonMyrlennBailey

Built in 1905, the K1d 4-6-2 light pacific was the early 20th Century answer to Canada’s growing passenger service needs. They we’re built by the Locomotive and Machine Works of Montreal Limited, which was the Canadian branch of ALCO. They were originally built to pull very fast passenger trains for the Intercolonial Railway, but in 1915 became apart of the CN Roster when the Canadian National absorbed the Intercolonial Railway. The K1d sat on 72″ drivers, weighed in at 346,000 lbs and produced 29155 lbs of tractive effort. They were utilized into the 1950s and were eventually phased out by newer diesels. All were retired by 1955.

Today: Only (1) of the original (15) K1d’s survive:

#5529 was donated and placed on display in 1959 at the National Museum of Transportation in Kirkwood, MO

<kuid:68926:552900> CN K1d Engine by stevelerro sold by K&L Trainz

This small standard-gauge steam locomotive and tender was chosen by me due to her 19th-century-looks charm and her cuteness factor. Tall cylindrical smokestack, tall domes, low-profile boiler, tall cab and tall bell. Many early 20th century engines were cute as the Baldwin Consolidation and the 4-4-0 American design that continues as well as some locos built for logging companies. From about the 1930's on, American steam locomotives grew to be monstrous and totally ungainly in appearance. Old-fashioned pufferbelly cuteness had worn off. The Big Boy of UP is as ugly as dog scat.

I do wish my K1D content had bright-metal driver wheel accents, side rods and well as bright-metal handrails. The bright silver rings around the driver rims really set off a steam locomotive for stylish looks. Some steam locos had silver or chrome accents on the spokes as well.

Last edited:
Back