New Aircraft

The Douglas DC-10 is quite an old model, which has been updated recently to today's standards.
In particular, this aircraft was equipped with a 3rd central main gear, which was missing on the old model.
This extra gear has now been added by Ian, for more accuracy.
My reskins have been updated accordingly, together with better textures:

Douglas DC-10 Laker Airways startup,<kuid2:74222:12364:3>
Douglas DC-10 UTA startup,<kuid2:74222:12329:2>
Douglas DC-10 AOM Cubana startup,<kuid2:74222:12373:2>

DC-10_AOM_zpsuvaouuqq.jpg

DC-10_UTA_zpsoo1theqp.jpg

Pascal

Hi,

This guy, sithblack91, did just open a website, related to the mapping of french airports: Nice, Marseilles & Roissy.
See french part of this forum. The guy has some problems with English language, so I give here his site address:

http://geralddinaucourt.wixsite.com/frenchairporttrainz
Let's hope that he will add more and more stuff about these maps in the next future.

Pascal

Hi,

This guy, sithblack91, did just open a website, related to the mapping of french airports: Nice, Marseilles & Roissy.
See french part of this forum. The guy has some problems with English language, so I give here his site address:

http://geralddinaucourt.wixsite.com/frenchairporttrainz
Let's hope that he will add more and more stuff about these maps in the next future.

Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yeah, I saw this a while ago, and I stopped by -- I tried to click on the screenshot on his site, but nothing happened -- If you can, perhaps, you can suggest to him from me to post screenshotz here, or a link to such screenshotz, or perhaps open a blog section --

And as always, P, great work on those planes above this post, sir!!!

Take Care
Ish

Hi Ish, thanks.
On the said website, you can find pics inside CDG Paris - terminal 1 & 2, and Acceuil - Mes besoins (my needs)

Back to the DC-10. This one belongs to Garuda, and shows the early red livery, when the full name was Garuda Indonesian Airways.

DC-10-Garuda_zpsbcfyxq0t.jpg

Douglas DC-10 Garuda Indonesian Airways startup,<kuid2:74222:12374:2>

Pascal

Hey everyone! I've been working on designing an aircraft for a couple months now and I finally got around to starting on the 3D model of it a few days ago. Given this is where all the trainz aircraft enthusiasts live I thought I would share it here. There's still some more modeling work to be done, the wings still need to be made aerodynamic, currently they're just big blocks basically so I could rough out the shape and thickness for them, and also the aircraft is missing its elevators which I will add sometime in the next few days.

Here's the shots:

Other than being sharp, there is probably not much more to do on those wings... I predict yaw instability unless some more changes are made.

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to give the wings a thinner leading edge, as at the moment the bulk of the thickness of the wing is in the very front of the plane. While that in a slightly more rounded state would be perfect for a WWII era piston fighter or a lower speed aircraft, it does not fit what I am making here. The airfoil is simply all wrong. That's something I will probably fix later tonight. As for the yaw instability, what would you suggest I do to counteract that?

More vertical surface area - like maybe a bigger vertical stab, or two of them spaced apart a little, or small vertical stabs sticking below the fuselage at the back.

The F-16 is an example where both a larger tail and vertical fins were used, and many twin engine jets use twin tails.

Another option might be a thrust vectoring nozzle, or possibly cranked control surfaces like ruddervators (F-117 is a good example).

Id personally go for fins and a slightly bigger tail, but its your design. Does it need to fly, or just look cool? It already looks the part, aside from the nitpickers like me XD

I actually went ahead and added a second vertical tail fin before you replied. It is also designed to use basic thrust vectoring. I also went ahead and fixed the wings and added the elevator while I was at it. About the only thing left to do is figure out where I want the landing gear and where I want the payload.

Updated shot:
4cbd38b4c518059d611cbb38e9d73f9a.jpg

When I first started the project the aircraft was painted black, then I went brushed aluminum to show the curvature better, but given that the wingtips now look really messy with the aluminum look I went back to black, and I think it looks hella fine. And I would certainly like for it to fly, the aircraft is actually a bit under 6 feet long and is designed to be a scale aircraft. I want to see how fast I can take it. As big as it is I can fit a fairly large engine in it (probably an SDJ-1301, also my design, at least design pending, still need to draw it up). If that doesn't give me the speed I need, I'll widen the airframe a bit and put in a pair of SDJ-1220's instead.

Well for what its worth Id say you still want a bit more vertical surface. Fins below the fuselage would work, or spreading out the existing twin tails would help. The closer they are to each other, the more they interfere with each other. The F-18 gets away with close tails by having a noticeable crank outboard to them, while the F-15 just accepts it and has its tails quite wide apart.

TVC will definitely help you get away with a bit. Id seriously consider canards for control surfaces, too. If you are going to make a physical model of it, you are going to need a computer to fly it, unless you get very creative with CoG placement. Then again that is normal for modern jet airframes, modern fighters are invariably designed as fly by wire controls, with unstable airframes - as it makes them react faster to control inputs, aerodynamically.

I was planning on getting creative with CoG. Although given the speeds I want it to attain, I will have to create some sort of phone app to relay my control inputs through cell towers, because if I just fly it from typical radio control I would be out of range too fast to react. This would require having a phone on board the plane, so I suppose I could also work with it to use some basic fly by wire stuff as well if it is still unbalanced. I just don't want to use canards on it while still retaining the maneuverability advantages and awesome look of the forward swept wing. The engine will be placed just aft of the cockpit, far enough back for the intake to be effective but far enough up to move the CoG closer to the CoL. Most of the fuel will be in the nose and wings as well, again trying to move the CoG up. Honestly the CoG would be so close to centered that if I really wanted to I could set it up for VTOL as well but that's more than I want to take on.

Hi,

Two new reskins for the moment:

Eurocopter EC135, rescue helicopter, SAMU Paris area.

EC135-Samu-IDF_zpsixihstgj.jpg

Already issued mid August, this Boeing 767-300 by Mongolian Airlines.

B767-Mongolian_zpsih0xuofv.jpg

Eurocopter EC-135 Samu IdF Startup,<kuid2:74222:12376:2>
Boeing 767-300ER Mongolian Airlines Startup,<kuid2:74222:12375:2>

Pascal

Hi,

3 new rescue EC 135 helicopters from the french SAMU:

SAMU 29 - West Brittany
EC135-Samu%2029_zps2frtryu0.jpg

SAMU Orne (Normandy)
EC%20135-Samu%20Orne_zpsk1kuqkms.jpg

SAMU Loiret Centre, Loire area.
EC135-Samu45_zpsbyicgro2.jpg

Eurocopter EC-135 Samu 45 Startup,<kuid2:74222:12380:2>
Eurocopter EC-135 Samu Orne Startup,<kuid2:74222:12379:2>
Eurocopter EC-135 Samu 29 Startup,<kuid2:74222:12378:2>

Pascal

Thanks Ish!

A batch of new reskins, some of them on new models from Ian:

EC 665 Tigre helicopter, French army (ALAT)
EC665-Alat_zpsrknuz1j8.jpg

AS 350 Ecureuil helicopter, Mont Blanc Hélicoptères, work horse in the Alps and rescue in winter.
AS350-Ecureuil-MBH_zpsqxvd74pv.jpg

AS 350 Ecureuil (A Star in the US), Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters
AS350-Papillon_zpsgyebypbo.jpg

A bit exotic; Boeing 787-8 for Uzbekistan Airways.
B787-8%20Uzbekistan_zpsl6bnxput.jpg

Boeing 787-8 Uzbekistan Airways Startup,<kuid2:74222:12385:2>
Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil Papillon Helicopters Startup,<kuid2:74222:12382:2>
Eurocopter EC 665 Tigre HAP French Army Startup,<kuid2:74222:12383:2>
Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil, MBH, Startup,<kuid2:74222:12381:2>

Pascal

Another batch of AS 350 Ecureuil helicopters:

AS 350 Ecureuil-A star operated by Sundance Helicopters, for Vegas area and Grand Canyon tours.

AS350-Sundance_zpshmmhi0ad.jpg

AS 350 Ecureuil, Gendarmerie Nationale, Police and rescue.

AS350-Gendarmerie_zpststjkwwd.jpg

AS 350 Ecureuil Securite Civile. Rescue and fire fighting.

AS350-Securite_Civile_zpsii5crd5j.jpg

Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil Gendarmerie Startup,<kuid2:74222:12387:2>
Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil Sundance Startup,<kuid2:74222:12384:2>
Eurocopter AS-350 Ecureuil Securite Civile Startup,<kuid2:74222:12386:2>

Pascal

German day, dedicated to the Bolkov/MBB/Eurocopter Bo 105.

Police of Hamburg city:
Bo105-Polizei-2_zpsejigvzcy.jpg

DRF, german air rescue:
Bo105-DRF_zpsorasalrz.jpg

Eurocopter BO-105 DRF Germany Startup,<kuid2:74222:12389:2>
Eurocopter BO-105 Polizei Hamburg Startup,<kuid2:74222:12388:2>

Pascal

Back