What's Up with Auran? Answer is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dru.

Sad that we hear about TC3 going gold from another website. Confirms the pecking order at Auran as well. Our niche is smaller than the Fury niche apparently.

Sad when you read when the new version is going to be released on another web site but I wonder what gold means.

Real soon now?

Cheerio John

Just a typical PR interview really.
An Australian website doing a favour for an Australian company (who they've worked for in the past, lol)

It looks as though Fury is still going to be the "all eggs in one basket" project for Auran, which is worrying.

Maybe Fury will take off in it's new form
I didn't care much at all for the version I played a short while ago, and I'm generally a fan of online RPGs.
I also downloaded and played the trial of Battlestar Galactica from Xbox Live last week, and I have to say it was poor.

I don't know what Auran need to do to turn things around but they need to think of something soon.
I used to think of them as an innovative company that managed to do things that companies with much larger budgets couldn't seem to achieve, and I admired them for that.

Now they seem to focus everything on Fury, whilst they squeeze every last drop they can out of Trainz (17 versions!!!, that says it all)

I still stand by the statement I made months ago, and that's that the driving force behind Trainz, and possibly Auran's success over the years, have left the company.

I'm talking about the likes of Greg Lane, John Banks, etc.
Do a search on the net, and you'll also find references to a programmer that left Auran for some reason, and many people likened him to the next John Carmack, which is high praise indeed!
I have no idea which programmer at the old Auran they're referring to, but it does strike me that at one point, Auran had it all going for them, and then someone came up with the idea of Fury.

Maybe they all want a piece of the World of Warcraft pie, but to do that, you have to write a game that can compete with that.

I don't like writing bad things about Auran, but they really seem to have shot themselves in the foot over the last 2 or 3 years, and seem quite happy to keep going in the same direction. :confused:

What's up with Auran?
I think they took on the big boys too soon, and should have concentrated on what they knew.

Smiley.

Sad that we hear about TC3 going gold from another website.

I believe the plan was probably to announce when it had gone gold (rather than setup the community for a disappointment if it was delayed).... someone spoilt the surprise it seems.

Mike.

Thanks for posting the interview Dru...Interesting read...

And TC3 is off to the presses soon, well that's good news anyway....

Cheerz. ex.

Auran is going down down down down quicker than the titanic and I am afraid Tony Hilliam is responsable in my own personal opinion as he shoved money hand over fist into a project that everyone KNEW was going to fail. So because of that alot of good people lost their job at Auran. I think Greg Lane should come back and get Auranh back on track then the company could be bult back up and to how things used to be. When Greg stood down all the staff jumped ship does that not say anything about Tony's leadership skills?

Quote: "Tony: I’m pretty sure it’s the 17th. With Classics, we’re concentrating on a single route, and providing a whole lot of scenarios for that particular route. Our core audience is over 250,000 registered members on the website, not all active of course. The age demographic for Trainz is amazing though – I’ve met peoples fathers who I’ve mentioned that I make video games and they say ‘The only game I ever play is Trainz’, and I say ‘We made that!’. So it’s really expanded, there’s a lot of hobbyists that have got into that. It’s a steady old war horse, and we’ve sold over a million units of all the various editions all around the world in a dozen languages."

A lot of hobbyists, yes, indeed. No other "game" software has ever held my attention for so long as Trainz has.

It has, indeed, become a "hobby", for me.:)

Planet Auran, IS the Big Boy...!

8) ...remember...this is a Forum Community, for a not popular genre of gaming:Railroad Simulation!

I've heard Adam & Morgan from G4TV's X-Play, rake Railroad Tycoon, and Ship Simulator, and I'm not sure I want to hear them review anything as boring as running a train...

Anyway...

and...

so...

All they want to do, is create a game, that makes huge bucks...then, we have funds to help us...depending upon the continuing support by members of said community.

Last edited:
You seem to be doing a lot of it though. ;) I don't think you've missed too many opportunities lately.
I think we're all well aware of where your loyalties lie, and why.

Even when I was a beta tester, and in line for a bunch of free goodies, I'd speak my mind in the beta forums when I felt it was needed.
But since you got into bed with Auran (Uk Seller of Trainz, TC3, etc) I don't think that I've seen you criticize them once.

That can't be for the good of the product.

Smiley.

Last edited:
I think we're all well aware of where your loyalties lie, and why.

Even when I was a beta tester, and in line for a bunch of free goodies, I'd speak my mind in the beta forums when I felt it was needed.
But since you got into bed with Auran (Uk Seller of Trainz, TC3, etc) I don't think that I've seen you criticize them once.

That can't be for the good of the product.

Smiley.
I, for one, am glad that Mike and the team 'got into bed with Auran' because the product they are producing looks to be a significant advance.

I, for one, am glad that Mike and the team 'got into bed with Auran' because the product they are producing looks to be a significant advance.
I've always admired Pauls work, so I agree that the locos, at least, will be worth looking at (although I'll go without rather than use CMP, which I believe is still in there).

But you miss my point, which was that Mike seems to find it impossible to be objective because of his financial interest in TC3 and Trainz in general.
Some people are swayed by the $ far easier than others.
Maybe he's short of a few bob. :hehe:

Smiley.

I like to think I'm fairly objective, I just don't think that pointing out mistakes that were made in the past, harping on about decisions that were made that I didn't think were the best and pretty much slagging them off at almost every opportunity on a public forum is the most constructive manner of making a difference.

However, you obviously have an opinion of me I would find hard to change so I'll leave that point there.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back