Updating DirectX 9.0c- how to do it

That only applies to users who have 2 systems - one for Trainz and one for internet use (yes, some users do run Trainz on a system not connected to the Internet for performance reasons)

If you only have one system, you can disregard that particular instruction.

Shane

DX9

I tried again. Evereything happened exactly as you describe, except that when I select DirectX as the display option for Trainz, Trainz tells me I need DX9. dxdiag and SIW sat that only DX11 is installed.:(

It suddenly occurs to me that my Trainz is not loaded on the same hard disk as the OS (this machine now has 3 hard disks installed and Trainz is the sole occupier of one of them). Is this likely to be the problem?

I could of course live with OpenGL, but that would leave the Content Manager problem mentioned in my original post. Is that connected with DX, or is that a completely different problem?

It can be connected.

There is a way of checking whether DirectX is indeed installed.

1.Click Start, then type 'd3dx9_43.dll'. You should get one result.

2.Right-click this result, click Properties, and check which folder it is present in - it should be C:/windows/system32 or C:/windows/syswow64.

If this is indeed the case, try restarting your system.

Shane

DX9.....

Checked that - file is in C:/windows/system32. Restarted system. Started Trainz - no change. Tried Content Manager - no change.

Just to make sure, I moved my 2010 installation to the C drive, but it didn't make any difference.:'(

OK - I need to check which operating system you are using.

This can have a bearing on DirectX issues.

Shane

P.S. By 'moving the installation' I hope you mean reinstall, not simply moving the folder.

Shane

DX9.........................

OS details as follows:

[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Name Windows[/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"] 7[/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"] Home Premium x64Service Pack 1[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Features Terminal Services in Remote Admin Mode, 64 BitEdition, Media Center Edition, Multiprocessor Free[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Type Retail Home Basic Premium Edition[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Language English (UnitedKingdom)[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]ActivationStatus [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Activated[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]License Status [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Licensed [Windows Operating System - Windows(R)[/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"] 7,[/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"] RETAILchannel][/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Checked Build [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]No[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]UAC Enabled [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Yes[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]OS Root [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]C: Windows[/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"] \[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Boot Device [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]\Device \HarddiskVolume2[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]System Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Kernel Version [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]6.1.7601.17640[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Build Lab [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]7601.win7sp1Adr.110622-1506[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Build Lab Ex [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1gdr.110622-1506[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Security [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]256 bits[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]MMC Version [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]3.0[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Hardware DEP Available [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Yes[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Automatic Updates [/FONT][FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"]Enabled Registration[/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"][/FONT]
[FONT="Tahoma","sans-serif"][/FONT]
Sorry, sloppy wording. I reinstalled to the C drive from an existing backup - presumably should be identical to the installation on the K drive which came from the same source (as per my original posting). :eek:

I am aware that if Trainz is installed prior to the DirectX update, that it may not pick up DirectX correctly.

I would advise a clean reinstall of Trainz onto your selected drive.

Also note that it needs to be running as administrator.

Shane

I tried again. Evereything happened exactly as you describe, except that when I select DirectX as the display option for Trainz, Trainz tells me I need DX9. dxdiag and SIW sat that only DX11 is installed.:(

It suddenly occurs to me that my Trainz is not loaded on the same hard disk as the OS (this machine now has 3 hard disks installed and Trainz is the sole occupier of one of them). Is this likely to be the problem?

I could of course live with OpenGL, but that would leave the Content Manager problem mentioned in my original post. Is that connected with DX, or is that a completely different problem?

Which version of trainz is happening with? I believe you have to run through a few hoops to get older versions to work. 2009 upwards should be ok though.

Content manager needs OpenGL, DirextX isn't used for it, if you are having problems running CM then that suggests you need to get the proper Drivers from the cards manufacturer, not use the ones supplied by Microsoft which appear to have little if any OpenGL support. May also have a bearing on your DirectX problems if using the wrong drivers. If you had updated the drivers they may have been subsequently replaced with Microsofts by Windows update, best to always check what rubbish Microsoft is attempting to dump on you.

Drive has no bearing on the problem, not running as administrator may do as not all settings seem to be saved in Home premium.

DX(........................................

Thankyou for replies - your time and effort are very much appreciated. I still haven't heard from the Helpdesk!! (I would thought they could institute an automatic response email - at least people would know their messages had been received.)

I am running Trainz 2010 build 44088. I have checked the graphics card (NVIVIA GeForce 7900 GS, driver version 8.17.11.9713 dated 3.15.2010) which as far as I can make out is the latest driver. Anyway Trainz will only run with the OpenGL option selected so if good enough for Trainz, should ot not be good enough for CM? All .exe files are set to run as Administrator.

As regards a clean restore, I have done that already but possibly before trying to install DX9, so I will try again, but not for a couple of days as I'm going away. In this respect, how do I ensure that I retain my existing content - I have two large layouts that I would not wish to lose!.

Once again, many thanks for your time and input so far.

Last edited:
DX(........................................

Thankyou for replies - your time and effort are very much appreciated. I still haven't heard from the Helpdesk!! (I would thought they could institute an automatic response email - at least people would know their messages had been received.)

I am running Trainz 2010 build 44088. I have checked the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS, driver version 8.17.11.9713 dated 3.15.2010) which as far as I can make out is the latest driver. Anyway Trainz will only run with the OpenGL option selected so if good enough for Trainz, should it not be good enough for CM? All .exe files are set to run as Administrator.

As regards a clean restore, I have done that already but possibly before trying to install DX9, so I will try again, but not for a couple of days as I'm going away. In this respect, how do I ensure that I retain my existing content - I have two large layouts that I would not wish to lose!.

Once again, many thanks for your time and input so far.

There is always a backlog of tickets at the helpdesk, small company with only a handful of staff, you can check if its been received by logging into the helpdesk and view your tickets, I think that's where you need to be checking.

Not sure if they send emails out or not as never had to use the helpdesk, however, if they do it's probably in your spam folder which is initially where everything N3V ever emailed me ended up.

That driver is way out of date, latest is dated 2011.08.09.
Go to the Nvidia site and use their automated driver detection, http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Option 2, use IE as the automatic detection doesn't work with Firefox

For 2009 to backup just save the local folder and import it after installing, check that Trainz is working properly and patch up to date first though.

Last edited:
Clam1952 is correct so far, although if it still does not work, I will see if I can help any further on this issue.

A bit of advice though - usually it's best to remove the old driver before installing the new one.

Shane

Last edited:
Clam1952 is correct so far, although if it still does not work, I will see if I can help any further on this issue.

A bit of advice though - usually it's best to remove the old driver before installing the new one.

Shane

Nvidia now include an option in the driver setup for a clean install, works really well and advisable to use it when replacing a driver that's a year out of date.

I got my correct serial number and got my copy of 2009 working. When I tried running it in Administrator, compatibility mod, or both the game lock up and I had to use Ctrl, Alt, Delete to close it. It runs fine by just clicking the shortcut icon. I am running in DirectX 9 set in the program.

DX9............etc

Thank you. I have used the Nvidia driver detection facility and have installed the driver it found - dated 3.8.11 (I swear it wasn't there when I tried last week!!!!). Content Manager still won't load. Will try a clean install of TS2010 later today if I get time.

Mike

Mike,

Instructions as follows:

Using Dr. Watson

Dr. Watson detects information about system and program failures and records the information in a log file. In the event of a program error, Dr. Watson starts automatically.
Open Dr. Watson.
  • To open Dr. Watson, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type drwtsn32.
  • Dr. Watson cannot prevent errors from occurring, but the information recorded in the log file can be used by technical support personnel to diagnose the problem.
See what it tells you about Directx 9.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Uninstall ( Work Around ) Directx:

• Type "regedit" and hit "Enter." This will bring you to the registry window.
  • Locate and after you export the value as a backup delete the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX
  • Close the registry window and restart your PC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Reinstall Directx 9.0c, http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html or http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109

Last edited:
mcguirel, are you aware that your link is incorrect?

It is pointing to the EULA file, which is not the same as the redistributable/web installer files.

Shane

DX...............................

Once again, thanks for suggestions.

I tried the download again, but although I got the "Installed" message, TS2010 doesn't seem to have got the message.

Unfortunately Dr Watson seems to have been abandoned by Microsoft for Windows7 - they couldn't make ot work (not since Vista SP2 apparently).

I am uncomfortable with playing in the Registry but will try that next - but before I delete the whole key, can anyone confirm that one of the components of the DirectX key (Default REG_SZ) is correct with no value?

Clean re-install of TS2010 tomorrow.

Mike

Back