Unable to download anything from Download Station no matter what I do

Before I retired, we attended a meeting where they told us that the entirety of possible 8-character passwords was now in the hackers' dictionary, and we were all required to change all our passwords to a minimum of 12 characters. I actually felt they should have made it 16, but that was three years ago now. Today's computers are capable of some fairly rapid tries, and when quantum computers start to come online, watch out.
With AI, that's only going to be worse because an AI-driven process, and work far faster on today's hardware making that quantum computer even faster when they come online. Many places are now going for passphrases now. Imagine typing in a sentence as a single word in order to log in and also include symbols and numbers.

There is now a push to adopt "Passkeys" that are hardware dependent - they are physically linked, via encryption, to your computer or mobile phone.

I am using one, as a trial, for my Google account accessed from my main desktop computer. I verified my identity just once when I created the Google passkey and, once I have logged into my computer, I can access Gmail and other Google services without having to log in to Google as well. If I access those services from a different device I have to log into Google as per normal. Once (if) I feel comfortable with using passkeys I will generate separate passkeys for my other devices as well.

For someone to access your passkey protected account, such as Google, they would need physical access to your hardware device and your personal login for that device. A remote hacker cannot access your Google account from their computer in Russia, Nth Korea, China,, or where-ever.

There is now a push to adopt "Passkeys" that are hardware dependent - they are physically linked, via encryption, to your computer or mobile phone.

I am using one, as a trial, for my Google account accessed from my main desktop computer. I verified my identity just once when I created the Google passkey and, once I have logged into my computer, I can access Gmail and other Google services without having to log in to Google as well. If I access those services from a different device I have to log into Google as per normal. Once (if) I feel comfortable with using passkeys I will generate separate passkeys for my other devices as well.

For someone to access your passkey protected account, such as Google, they would need physical access to your hardware device and your personal login for that device. A remote hacker cannot access your Google account from their computer in Russia, Nth Korea, China,, or where-ever.
That works for now until someone figures out how to emulate the hardware where the passkey was generated.
In a way this reminds me of the old key-fob security device that generated a hex or octal number code that the user had to enter into their login screen within a specific amount of time. If the user waited too long, a new code would be generated and the system would resend the login all over again.

Back