Unable to download anything from Download Station no matter what I do

Eddycat

I am completely unable to download anything from the download station, and I've seen countless error messages:
"Unable to authenticate FTP user at this time"
"Server connection interrupted"
"Unable to contact server"
"Content is invalid"

I've tried every solution that I could find online and that I could think of:
-MyTrainz login matches my forum login
-Logged out and back in
-Uninstalled and reinstalled game and DLCs
-Restarting the game
-Restarting PC
_Waiting a few days for server to clear up
_Tried at different times of day
-Tried using download station on the website and in the game
-Tried on a different device
-Tried on a different network
-Tried on a VPN (this gave me success, but I ran out of free data and shouldn't have to rely on a VPN for something that should work fine without one)

I'm at the end of my patience. I have been trying to get this to work for weeks. Please help.

I am completely unable to download anything from the download station
I am assuming that you are attempting to access the DLS through a web browser - your first error message "Unable to authenticate FTP user at this time" is a clue to that.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol), which is used to access the DLS Web site, has been blocked by nearly all web browsers for some considerable time now. It is a major security risk. There are a few programs available on the Web that will not block FTP downloads (don't ask, I don't use them and cannot point you to any of them).

It is strongly recommended you you use Content Manager (accessed through the "Manage Content" button on the TRS19 Launcher) for all your DLS downloads - which is what I and most other Trainz users do.

I also avoid using VPNs when accessing the DLS through Content Manager, many of them will block the downloads (which may explain some of the other messages you are receiving).
Also, make sure that TRS19.exe is added to your AV real time scan exclusion list - your AV program can be another source of DLS problems.

My suggestions.

If VPN worked then it's something in "the net". I'm not sure if VPN would let you get past an ISP blocking ports or general connectivity issues, but something is upsetting your connection, and since the VPN worked its NOT in your home.

If you really want to FTP, I suggest Filezilla, although you'll have to note the path on the DLS webpage and then manually drill down to the cdp you are after.

Just another thought. If you are trying to access the DLS through Content Manager (as recommended) and are getting error messages, check that your username and password in Content Manager are correct and registered.

It has happened to me, on the odd rare occasion after an update, that Content Manager has "lost" that information and it had to be re-entered.

I've only ever tried downloading content through the content manager, either in-game or through the launcher. I have never tried doing it through a browser. As for my username and password, I've checked that numerous times, and every time I it seemed to be fine. I'm not sure how to manually register the account, but I assumed that was done years ago when I first got the account (I created it when I bought Trainz2019). I bought the game via steam, and only recently have I had these issues.

So what has changed to cause this issue? I don't use Steam so I cannot help you there.

Is it a problem with using a VPN - try disabling the VPN and see if that makes a difference.
Or an Antivirus issue - have you added trs19.exe to your AV real time scan exclusion list?

At the moment I am not using a VPN at all, and I don't have an antivirus, unless windows defender counts?

I have never heard of Windows Defender causing this issue (but that does not mean it cannot happen).

I am at a loss for identifying the cause and a remedy.

The only other (remote) possibility is are you using the same user name and password that you used when you installed TRS19? This can be an issue if you have more than one account.

I might have another one. I mentioned I made the account when I first got the game, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'm just remembering wrong since it's been several years. How would I check for that? I have zero idea of what the login details would be if I do have another account.

I just tried downloading it with the firewall and windows defender both turned off, no success. Trying to download things on different devices, different networks, and different internet services fails. It can only be my account to blame unless I missed something.

Just remembered I created my MyTrainz account less than a week ago. Is it possible to use Trainz without an account? If so that's what I've been doing for years.

Just remembered I created my MyTrainz account less than a week ago. Is it possible to use Trainz without an account? If so that's what I've been doing for years.
You can use it without an account but you won't have access to the DLS. If you are trying to connect with your new account, that won't work because your new account doesn't "own" that software and your original account does.

Your best bet is to contact the helpdesk. They can merge accounts and work out your account issue you have now. Once that's straightened out, you'll be able to download.

I'll do this thanks. To me that doesn't make total sense though. I have been able to download files from the download station over a VPN just fine, so that makes me think the account has nothing to do with it.

I'll do this thanks. To me that doesn't make total sense though. I have been able to download files from the download station over a VPN just fine, so that makes me think the account has nothing to do with it.
I got interrupted with a phone call and came back and skipped over that important point!

Anyway, are you using a wireless connection?
Wireless connections can be very unreliable depending upon the ISP and carrier and to make matters worse, large downloads will timeout and cause the server to drop your connection causing retries and the eventual interrupted download. If you are using a wireless connection, see if you can plug directly into your router via an ethernet cable.

I usually use a wireless connection. I tried using a wired one to see if the problem would solve itself, but it did not. Same errors, same result.

When you downloaded and installed TRS19 it would have been registered under the username (and password) you used at that time. This is the same username and password you would normally use to access these forums. If you created a new account (username and password) for Eddycat (which I note is a described as a new user) then TRS19 would still expect you to be using the original username and password when accessing the DLS through Content Manager.

If you cannot remember your login details from when you installed TRS19 then John's suggestions of contacting the helpdesk (Support link at the top of this page) would be the best solution.

Using FTP is pointless these days! It's been unsupported for a few years now in Chrome, IE and Edge.
Go to Trainz launcher, Content Manager then set the filter to 'Download Station' and play around with other filters ;)

Back