Unable to download anything from Download Station no matter what I do

I only have one email address, and it's the one I used to make this account. If this account is labeled as new, it's not possible for me to have another one. Not to mention, I can download things on DLS using this account just fine via a VPN, meaning the problem must be network related. I'm at a loss as to how though. I'm running out of patience.

If my account is labeled as new, then I don't have another one. I only have one email address, and I used it to make this account. My MyTrainz account has the same username and password too.

If my account is labeled as new, then I don't have another one. I only have one email address, and I used it to make this account. My MyTrainz account has the same username and password too.
Account created Dec 9 2023.

Member Number: 1089884

Where and when (approximately) did you get TRS2019?

Checked my steam purchase history. September 20th, 2019. I got the "ECML Edinburgh - Dundee" and "Cornish Mainline and Branches" DLCs the same day, if that helps. As for where, it was likely my laptop, which I'm still using to play it.

September 20th, 2019. I got the "ECML Edinburgh - Dundee" and "Cornish Mainline and Branches" DLCs the same day
Then the username and password you used for those purchases are the username and password TRS19 would expect. You created a new username and password on Dec 9 2023, which would not have a registered Trainz purchase, so I suspect that that is the cause of the problem.

As you made your original purchases through Steam and not directly from N3V then I do not know what should happen. I do recall a few posts in these forums from Steam users experiencing an access problem related to their username and password. I would recommend sending a message to N3V Support with all your details.

Then the username and password you used for those purchases are the username and password TRS19 would expect. You created a new username and password on Dec 9 2023, which would not have a registered Trainz purchase, so I suspect that that is the cause of the problem.

As you made your original purchases through Steam and not directly from N3V then I do not know what should happen. I do recall a few posts in these forums from Steam users experiencing an access problem related to their username and password. I would recommend sending a message to N3V Support with all your details.
I said that before and he needs to contact the helpdesk as I said a few posts up. If he does that today, then he may get support sooner than later since they should be coming into the virtual office at some point soon given that it's 6:45 am in Brisbane.

I didn't create an account when I bought the game since I got it through steam, and I can't use a steam account to login to Trainz.

Then click the Support link at the top of this page and sent a helpdesk request to N3V. They have sorted out similar Steam issues before.

First time you ran trainz it should have asked you for graphic settings and your log in credentials (and offered a link to create an account if you had none)

I think I finally figured it out. My internet provider is to blame. N3V support seems to think the problem is my ISP is blocking FTP downloads. They also mentioned port 21 but I have no idea what that is. I was under the impression that almost nobody uses FTP anymore because it is unsafe, since it's not encrypted, but I'm apparently wrong. I guess all I can do now is contact customer support for my ISP (ugh). Hopefully they'll allow FTP through.

You need to switch to SFTP (secure FTP) on port 22. Most of the utility software like WinSCP will do that automatically now.

You need to switch to SFTP (secure FTP) on port 22. Most of the utility software like WinSCP will do that automatically now.
One does not choose for Content Manager.

Based on the port 21, it seems CM uses the FTP port - although any protocol can be used so its not proof positive CM uses FTP and not SFTP, but I bet it does use FTP.

I'm beyond tired of the "training wheels" being slapped on everyone with the blocking of ports and protocols in the name of encryption.

One does not choose for Content Manager.

Based on the port 21, it seems CM uses the FTP port - although any protocol can be used so its not proof positive CM uses FTP and not SFTP, but I bet it does use FTP.

I'm beyond tired of the "training wheels" being slapped on everyone with the blocking of ports and protocols in the name of encryption.
There's really nothing wrong with FTP when it's implemented properly and this wasn't done in the name of encryption. The issue is that admins are using weak or non-existent passwords for FTP access to servers. Instead of enforcing strong passwords or multipart authentication, the protocol was blocked.

Back in the mid-2000s I managed a small FTP server at the company I worked for. I went through the "hard" part to come up with a complex password more secure than admin, or password 1234. We had no break-ins but multiple attacks on a daily basis. For one particular hack, I was able to trace the attack back to some idiot in the UK and I contacted his ISP and got him some tea and biscuits with the constable.

The issue is that admins are using weak or non-existent passwords for FTP access to servers. Instead of enforcing strong passwords or multipart authentication, the protocol was blocked.
That was only one of the issues with FTP that eventually caused it to be blocked. The protocol was never designed to be a secure method of data transmission - things were very different back in those days.

A major security weakness of FTP is that usernames and passwords are transmitted by the protocol in plain unencrypted text. Anyone using a "Packet Sniffer" or similar technology could intercept and read those usernames and passwords. So enforcing "strong" passwords (what-ever that really means) would not improve its security.

That was only one of the issues with FTP that eventually caused it to be blocked. The protocol was never designed to be a secure method of data transmission - things were very different back in those days.

A major security weakness of FTP is that usernames and passwords are transmitted by the protocol in plain unencrypted text. Anyone using a "Packet Sniffer" or similar technology could intercept and read those usernames and passwords. So enforcing "strong" passwords (what-ever that really means) would not improve its security.
The open-text is an issue, but then again back when FTP was first developed, it wasn't meant to be used for an open-to-the-world network either and people in tech worked together rather and weren't greedy. There are ways around the open broadcast issue such as by using encryption, and other secure methods available today. This doesn't have to be on the protocol either and could be enabled in the operating system or on the network hardware.

Enforcing strong passwords means the user can't use simple to hack ones such as birthdays, simple names, etc., and must use long strings of unrelated characters, not repeats of the same characters, have a non-alphanumeric character in the string as well as numbers. The unfortunate part is many users still don't do this today. In one place I worked, the default password was 12345678 and many users were never forced to change than on login. My former manager didn't want me to enforce strong passwords and require frequent changes. Apparently, he's mostly likely still using password or 12345678.

Before I retired, we attended a meeting where they told us that the entirety of possible 8-character passwords was now in the hackers' dictionary, and we were all required to change all our passwords to a minimum of 12 characters. I actually felt they should have made it 16, but that was three years ago now. Today's computers are capable of some fairly rapid tries, and when quantum computers start to come online, watch out.

Back