Train Crashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with the kill it group... Its extremly sad since i know people have died in these and its no laughing matter...

Anthony...

Im with the kill it group... Its extremly sad since i know people have died in these and its no laughing matter...

Anthony...
I agree, I lost close friend in an accident, it was a automobile accident but it has the same outcome and I find munimans statement very upsetting.

I apologize for not having a screenshot of a derailment to post, but I find them to be an irritation at best and a horror at worst. I am curious though, is there a "face plant" thread for Flight Simulator and a "Sinking" thread for Ship Simulator? I wonder if the Sims Community shows shots of their avatars tripping over furniture ("The Dick Van Dyke" thread?). Does WOW have a "Damn....I cut myself with my own sword!" thread? Does the GTA clan have a thread showing shots of the main character giving money to the Salvation Army, or rescuing a family from a house fire?

Just curious to see if this fascination with the antithesis of the objective of the game is common among all games....or just railroad related games. If it turns out to be just railroad related games, then I formally announce that I am copywriting the term "The Gomez Effect".

Last edited:
Somebody...please tell me what's wrong with seeing crashes in a computer game?!?!

It's not like somebody dies or gets hurt or anything ! :eek:

The second one.

They did the same when a floating oil platform on a lake in Louisiana hit a salt mine underneath due to a clerical error. (What a sight that made! o_O' )

Somebody...please tell me what's wrong with seeing crashes in a computer game?!?!

Ah...you probably wouldn't understand at your age level and your current level of responsibility, but, the glorification of violence through media of all kinds causes us to become insensitive to actual violence. Usually you don't begin to worry about these things until you experience the effect yourself, or have children that depend on you to protect them. As a whole all we are exposed to causes us to react differently to the real thing.

Indeed, some may; but as justification for exposure to violence that becomes acceptance of the same? I'm not sure it's either healthy or advisable to embrace violence to the point where you find yourself grasping for justification for the experience.

In the end, it's up to the individual. Violence in self defense is certainly justifiable....but for entertainments sake?

http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp784772.pdf

Last edited:
I really don't like crashing on purpose, and I get what you guys are saying. I prefer learning about accidents, which is the reason why I have several books on train crashes. They are tragic, but also facinating. I prefer little derailments where no one gets seriously hurt. Yes, I too have lost friends to accidents so I do understand what you are saying. I am a flagger at race tracks, and its my resposibilty to keep people in the cars safe, but I still get a feeling of excitment when a car spins out into the infield. (especially at Poccono. Their infield sends cars flying through the air.) I hate when people get hurt, and hope that it never happens when I'm flagging, but it is always a possibility.

Also, to answer your question Euphod, I don't know if they have threads for it on their forums, but I know that the crashes in MSFlightSim 04 were very unrealistic(lawn darting). One of the first things that I downloaded was a realistic crash mod that broke the wings off and added a few explosions. I didn't crash the planes on purpose, I just had it for when something bad happened. Like the time my two engines on the one side of my plane cut out when I was landing and I clipped my wing on the ground. My plane bounced down the runway and I successfully recovered, minus one wing. Did anyone die? Nope, even if I fireballed noone would have died. I also play my MS combat flight sims too, and when I get shot down I take some satisfaction of watching my plane disintegrate. Does that make me an evil person. Hey, I even went on some train bombing missions that were alot of fun. Do I feel guilty for killing AI controled planes? No. (well I used to. the show Reboot made me think that I was turning people into multi colored slugs:wave:)

My point is that there is no real problem with crashing a fake train in a game. Especially if you do it on accident like I usually do when I crash.

Also one last thing. Do you guys stop your train from running off the end of the track when you are testing a small segment of your route, or do you just let it go? Me, I let it go.

I do see eye-to-eye with those who feel uncomfortable with depiction of crashes, but crashing, however badly we'd like to think otherwise, is a factor in the rail industry, and frequent on the Island of Sodor (luckily, no one is ever hurt). Crashes were also a frequent part of when I had TRS2004 SP2 on my old laptop...as were lockups.

I really don't like crashing on purpose, and I get what you guys are saying. I prefer learning about accidents, which is the reason why I have several books on train crashes. They are tragic, but also facinating. I prefer little derailments where no one gets seriously hurt. Yes, I too have lost friends to accidents so I do understand what you are saying. I am a flagger at race tracks, and its my resposibilty to keep people in the cars safe, but I still get a feeling of excitment when a car spins out into the infield. (especially at Poccono. Their infield sends cars flying through the air.) I hate when people get hurt, and hope that it never happens when I'm flagging, but it is always a possibility.

Also, to answer your question Euphod, I don't know if they have threads for it on their forums, but I know that the crashes in MSFlightSim 04 were very unrealistic(lawn darting). One of the first things that I downloaded was a realistic crash mod that broke the wings off and added a few explosions. I didn't crash the planes on purpose, I just had it for when something bad happened. Like the time my two engines on the one side of my plane cut out when I was landing and I clipped my wing on the ground. My plane bounced down the runway and I successfully recovered, minus one wing. Did anyone die? Nope, even if I fireballed noone would have died. I also play my MS combat flight sims too, and when I get shot down I take some satisfaction of watching my plane disintegrate. Does that make me an evil person. Hey, I even went on some train bombing missions that were alot of fun. Do I feel guilty for killing AI controled planes? No. (well I used to. the show Reboot made me think that I was turning people into multi colored slugs:wave:)

My point is that there is no real problem with crashing a fake train in a game. Especially if you do it on accident like I usually do when I crash.

Also one last thing. Do you guys stop your train from running off the end of the track when you are testing a small segment of your route, or do you just let it go? Me, I let it go.

YOU STOLE MY THOUGHTS!!! :Y:

If I'm in a hurry, and testing multiple locos, let them all go off, who cares it's a game!

Get a grip people!!:eek:

Lorin

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I just think that if you don't like threads like this one you can ignore them. And as far as the "newer members", I believe that this forum is partly meant for those kinds of questions. And besides we should not exclude any of the new members, they have as much place here as the old members do.

Yes I have lost a couple of friends to accidents. It doesn't stop me from enjoying my games. I've had several friends lost in car accidents, does that stop me from playing Burnout? Nope, in fact crash mode is my favorite game mode. I still don't see the problem with virtual train crashes. THEY AREN'T real.

If you don't want train crashes to be talked about, we need to get rid of all of the books, TV shows, internet documents and make it so that all simulators never crash, just couple at 75 mph.

"If you don't want train crashes to be talked about, we need to get rid of all of the books, TV shows, internet documents and make it so that all simulators never crash, just couple at 75 mph..."

Meaning no more Thomas...because crashes are in that, and that'll never happen! :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back