The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

Thanks for the plug.

I've got some great oldies in the pipelines; so watch out for the announcement of an old legacy pack at TPR in the coming weeks.

A new Picture made on Caydens excellent Canadian Pacific MBC 2010 Route :).

3338353937376362.jpg

@Rick, your last Shots are very fantastic :Y:.

Nice Greetings

Epo:)

Last edited:
Morning All! Thanks Epo! I'm inspired by the grand masters ... like you! Taking a little rest. Would you and all Canucks and those who like our railways care for a beer? Hey D, slow down, I said A beer!

Cheers .... Rick

rickf77_20140904_0000.jpg~original

Hello gang,
Relatives have returned to their various abodes. I'm not criticizing, not all. A really good time was had by all.

My first for today - dang CN folks :wave: - where is this 4-6-2 ?

cnr4-6-2Grantly_zps5cfc1886.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The next 3 are CP 4-6-2s near Sirdar, BC

cpr2555sirdar2_zpsbba83c46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cprsirdar1_zps90ee9c2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cprsirdar3_zpsae79e591.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There's a goof in the third picture. Sorry.
The four locos will be heading towards the DLS later.

There have been some simply awesome screens recently. Hey rick, I sure need a brew. Great shot! I'm an engineer, a good one I like to think, but the creative artistry I've seen here is not in my bag of tricks. :'( But with you folks to give me ideas, I'll do okay. Thanks!

I'm going to sign out. The route used in pictures 2 to 4 is a WIP. I've done 310 km. of track. About half way.

I'll have some 2-8-2s done soon.

cheers,
--Michael.

SWEET MOTHER OF MURPHY! So much to say! Michael, it's 6:23 pm and I'm just about pooped out! Great weather here! Eating peaches off the tree! I'm going to sleep and get to this in the morning. Locos, shots, locos in shots!! CNR! CNR! ....zzzzzzz.

Alright then, ... wait a sec, gotta get another coffee. Micheal, the shots are, may I say, without being branded as "less than a real man", FAB-U-LOUS!! Good heavens man, you have become some kind of texture maestro! Never, ever, worry about your creative artistry. You have that coming out your ears! That really is some of the best scenery I've ever seen! My friend you HAVE to keep them shots coming in. I'm counting on them to get me through the dark, depressing winter! These shots are just a pure joy to gaze at! Thank you! I DO know all the right words to describe your work, but, you know, I have my "all man" reputation to protect!

Now, what was that other thing? Oh yeah, the locomotive skins! How will we ever thank you enough for them? I mean, it seems like we went from next to no Canadian steamers, but now look at what we have! All thanks to you, my friend. That CNR Pacific should keep that pesky CNR fan happy for awhile! I can tell you, he's grinning from ear to ear! .... and those CP locos? Well, even the hard core CNR fans will sneakily download those!

What a wonderful, truly amazing post this was from you! I hope this didn't sound too "girly"!

Cheers Michael, whoops, sorry, I mean maestro! .... Rick

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Some 2-8-2s ... (Been uploaded, just waiting on N3V)
cpr2-8-25323-2atSidar_zpsb012d369.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cpr2-8-25323-3atSidar_zps9746c319.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cpr2-8-25387atSidar_zps266d7c78.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and last, for rick;
CNR2-8-25375atSidar_zps6bc8eaa8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I wonder who is sitting at the picnic table? Swapping lies, no doubt. :hehe:

Cheers,
--Michael.

Great stuff Michael! I'm lovin' that scenery! I can't remember seeing that camper anywhere. Did you have to put the dog and other stuff inside? By the looks of that table, perhaps the dog will have to do the driving?

I just can't believe our luck. When I first got trainz, I thought that there would be little chance of much Canadian content. Surely next to no steam era stuff? That was kind of true. Not anymore!

How old did you say you were ... 29? (hee, hee) I don't know how you're getting so much done!

Really great stuff bud! Eye popping shots and more locos ... well, what more could a person want!?

Thank you my friend, keep the shots coming! The Mikados are real, real, nice!

Cheers .... Rick

...... real, real, REAL nice!!

Last edited:
Hi folks;

Rick: 'RC VW Camper Open - HIGH DETAIL,<kuid2:521966:21058:1>' is what your looking at. And it comes with the dog. I honestly can't remember who drove. Thanks for the Thanks. I had the same thoughts about Canadian content when Trainz & TRS 2004 came out.

The scenery in the shots will get finished sometime. That leads me to a question:

I noticed on one of your shots a really nice ground texture. Turned out to be a set of textures done by dermmy...

Question: If one looks at the textures from different compass directions, in one of the directions, the texture appears to become mirror like. Investigation showed these textures use "Normal Mapping".

a. Is this reflection correct?
b. How can I get rid of the reflection?
c. What is normal mapping good for?
d. How does one make the normal texture map?

Thanks!
Cheers,
--Michael.

Question: If one looks at the textures from different compass directions, in one of the directions, the texture appears to become mirror like. Investigation showed these textures use "Normal Mapping".

a. Is this reflection correct?
b. How can I get rid of the reflection?
c. What is normal mapping good for?
d. How does one make the normal texture map?

Thanks!
Cheers,
--Michael.

Reflection or the specular value is controlled by the embedded Alpha in the Normal, Black = no reflection, white = extremely reflective, the main image would normally have an all white Alpha and can be left alone.

Quick and dirty way to make a normal is with images2TGA which will also embed the alpha.

Long thread on it which contains some early bodges to get rid of the refection (one being mine) the correct method is quite some way through the thread. http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-tutorial-for-TS12-please&p=786123#post786123

What is it good for? supposed to, if done properly, give a 3d effect on a flat surface. Whatever..... we are stuck with it for ground textures as it's compulsory.

clam1952;1324530 [snip said:
Long thread on it which contains some early bodges to get rid of the refection (one being mine) the correct method is quite some way through the thread. http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-tutorial-for-TS12-please&p=786123#post786123

What is it good for? supposed to, if done properly, give a 3d effect on a flat surface. Whatever..... we are stuck with it for ground textures as it's compulsory.

The textures I was curious about had normal maps & reflected. Examination revealed the "normal.texture" file had no alpha. Using images2TGA to create an alpha and then invert the alpha (right-click in alpha window) providing a mostly black alpha worked well in eliminating the reflection.

Your comment about 3d effect intrigued me. So [if you are not familiar with images2TGA, skip to end :) ] so I experimented with the "accept value" and found 25 to 35 good, and choosing the spot on the normal image carefully, and trying inverted or not-inverted for the alpha gave some good results. A fair bit of trial-and-error though. (I was able to improve, IMHO, the "C3 Shade (T)" )

Many Thanks for the tip!

cheers,
--Michael.
PS I learned a new word - bodge - today. Possibly related to modern American: "kludge" (I prefer bodge).

Hello Froobie,

Can you tell me where I can find the bogeys, engine specs and sounds by Ben Neal. They are not on the DLS

Thanks

Loadman

Hello Froobie,

Can you tell me where I can find the bogeys, engine specs and sounds by Ben Neal. They are not on the DLS

Thanks

Loadman

Hi Loadman;

I'll be glad to, but it will cost you a lecture, I just finished watching Neil deGrasse Tyson's wonderful verion of Carl Sagan's Cosmos and I'm in a lecturing mood. :cool:

First, I am forbidden to upload any content which is not mine. This rule applies to all content suppliers. This is an Auran/N3V games rule.

Second, most folks who upload to the DLS, include in the config.txt file, among other stuff: an email address and a web site. I don't have a website but Ben Neal does and it's in the config.txt file of all the stuff I upload. I include my email and Ben's website in all the assets I upload. If I missed one, my sincere apologies and please tell me which one is missing his website URL.

Having babbled on... it's Oh-dark-30 here and I need a cuppa, badly.

Ben's website: http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/

I strongly recommend looking at his site for all the wonderful stuff there. Oh yes, that's where you'll find his assets which are missing from my stuff.

Good luck!
cheers,
--Michael.

Finally!

Hi Folks,
I FINALLY convinced DLS to accept my uploads (4x 2-8-2s). In that spirit I show this picture:
busonriver_zpsd646be03.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yes, indeed only in Trainz would a Bus be driving on a river.

In the next shot - just for the thread police - there is a loco and some rolling stock...
viewpoint_zpsc73ef838.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Right next to Waldo :D :D
These kind of shots are what I seek to create. Grass and shrubs add nothing. But it does take a lot of textures to give a natural view at this distance. The KVRR uses 275.

Cheers,
--Michael.
PS If shadows reduce draw distance, they are waste of effort. That is, of course, my own opinion. RMMV :wave:

Back