SoCal Progress

N5VAV

TPR Route Creator
Whew! It is hot in the desert in mid-July!
Been working on putting in the medium level scenery around Cajon and experimenting with content throughout the route.

Not sure when this giant will ever be done, but when it is, it will be multiplayer as all content is either built-in or on DLS :)

Below is a shot of some SP action near Phelan
CajonSPPhelan1.jpg

Here is a shot near the Mormon Rocks and Sullivan's Curve.
I notice that with TS12, the draw distance is farther than the mountains, so I'll have to build some mountains in places so as to not have the "End Of The World". :)
CajonSullivan1.jpg

Coming up on Hwy 138.
CajonHwy138.jpg

Here is the MOW track:
CajonAlrayMOW1.jpg

Here is the view from Silverwood back down the canyon:
CajonSilverwood1.jpg

Silverwood close up:
CajonSilverwood2.jpg

The view of Summit from the roadside park:
CajonSummitFromRoad.jpg

Finally, the latest textures, trees, and other content to be used on the Tehachapi section of the route.
I like the dry grass look better than the green mountain look, so making it a bit drier than some versions.
CajonTheLoop.jpg

The area around Victorville to Barstow is still about the way it was a few months ago, so you can check the previous threads for photos.

This version of the route is set is is the 80's or early 90's.
There are other nice versions of Cajon and Tehachapi out there, and they are set in a more modern era.
This one will be an older version AND will be ALL of it connected together, and include the Needles Sub out to Needles.
Scenery needs to be put in around Edwards, Palmdale, and most of the Needles Sub, so still a work very much in progress.
Maybe too big for multiplayer??? Will see.. For now, I'm loving working in Southern California!

Enjoy,

Since this thread, I've suffered a total hard drive crash !!!
The good news is that I did have a version of this giant route on another computer that I rescued. WHEW.

So, most all the textures have been replaced and quite a bit of the content - all to TS12 standards. I've at this point, gotten even further along.
What needs to be completed now is the scenery from Victorville to Barstow, Barstow to Mojave, and the long stretch from Barstow to Needles.

Also good news - older and poorly performing assets are gone, so performance is even better. Considering trying McGuriels extreme performance trees and foliage. Trying for a balance of looks and frame rates.

It takes several hours for an AI train to go Needles to Bakersfield to San Bernadino. All trackage is in .

SOMEDAY I'll release this monster as a multiplayer route, as all assets are built-in or on DLS. Will need volunteers to test that.

More shots coming this week I hope.

Last edited:
Looking good. An observation and a question. Those speed signs look really large verses the ones by bnsf50. Are they really that big in the real world? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. I'll be watching this post for updates.

Hi Stouthm. Thank you for the kind words. Yes, those are probably a bit bigger than the prototype for sure. Those are the Josfpav BNSF speed signals that have been around a while. I do like the JR ones found on their Mojave sub as they are prototypical. I definitely could use those.
The reason I chose the larger ones is that they are so much easier to read. As I hope to make this a multiplayer map, I wanted the players to easily read the signs. The smaller ones work just as good for AI trains,or if you know the route (which I know one should ). Just trying to make it easier.

I am using the JR mileposts though as they aren't critical and they look good.

What do you think?
Thank you!

Looking for Good Desert Shrubs

Hi all. I'm looking for some good desert plants that look like Cajon yet perform well. As you can see from the shots, there is a LOT of territory in each shot and many bushes are within draw distance. I'm currently using the default Auran boxwoods for the shrubs which perform decently but don't look a lot like Cajon bushes. I've tried the JVC Desert series shrubs which look PERFECT, but with quite a bit more performance hit. I'm wondering and trying to balance if that performance hit is worth the looks. Hard question. Anyway, does anyone know of a good desert / Cajon looking bush that is free and has a good performance that I could use on the route? Not only in the Cajon section, but all across the Mojave desert from Bakersfield to Needles.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I understand your reasoning. Since I don't do multiplayer I'm guessing that you actually drive the loco and don't use the DC option. Another thought, the actual speed and the next speed appears on my HUD so with a quick glance I know just how far until the next speed sign. Wouldn't the drivers in multiplayer also have that option?

About those desert bushes/shrubs. Check out mcquirel's items, kuid:72938. She has a lot to offer. Good luck and 'll b watching this thread.

THanks Stouthm. Actually, I DO use the DCC option almost exclusively. But, I don't always use the AI to drive to a trackmark or industry, I'll use the DCC wheel and manually control the speed. So, I use AI to go to a point, and manual control both. Great point about the HUD though! Of course, Driver also shows the current speed limit in the standard HUD in the upper right anyway, so the speed signs REALLY don't have to be as large as they are. You are making me re-think those speed signs! I was just trying to make it easier for the end user that may want to run the route, but if they know TRAINZ, they will have the tools you speak of, making the overly large signs unnecessary. I may do an asset replacement with the JR speed boards and see how that looks. Thank you.
Also, thank you for theMcguirel idea. I'm looking at several things so will hopefully be able to decide.
Thank you for the input and interest. When it gets to that point, would you like to help test the route?

Very nice route, Jeff.

Regarding the bushes. Look for those by Sandri Lyon, or a variant of that name. They are on the DLS and begin with SD_ or SD. They have a naming convention similar to Pofig's, which I would have suggested, but since you are building a multiplayer route these would have been a no-go.

John

N5VAV - I would be happy to test the route even though I have no idea what that entails. Let me know when you are ready.

Back