Reading & Northern RR screens (Hi-Res/widescreen)

Awesome route. About how many baseboards will it be in the end?

Baseboards? I haven't counted. The first released version will be between 25 and 35 miles long (including branches), with additional sections released at later times. The DEM map i'm working with includes something like 240 miles of track, most of which i will unfortunately never get to, but i may release the entire thing so people can mess around and add more if they wish.

Here's a map from the railroad's website.

map_small.gif

For the first phase i'm doing from Hamburg to at least East Mahanoy Jct. (including the branch to Landsford).

Also, do there have interchange connceting with Norfolk Southern, CSX, UP and other local railroads?

Hi dnutter. If you look at the map you can see the real railroads interchange points. They interchange primarily with NS, and somewhat with the CP/D&H. The interchange at Reading won't be modeled since its not on the DEM. It IS in on my Reading Line route, but unfortunately the two routes do not match up. The interchange at Lehighton will be in if i go that direction.

Operationally right now i'm following the current railroad practice of a daily turn bringing cars to Port Clinton from Reading, and from there different trains being dispatched to the different points around the system.

For more information go here:
http://www.rbmnrr.com/

~Roon

*Edit: On the map, the black diamonds are coal mines (not all are still active), and the white squares are "industrial parks" as the railroad calls them, but in most cases more like weed-infested former yards or sidings with a few customers on them :p.*

Last edited:
Oh yeah I find on map NS Harrisburg Line connceting on Reading&Northern RR's line that huge and ummmm maybe do you can think that on future your route have been done so maybe can Reading & Northern RR route conncenting with NS Reading Line do you think look good or not?

Edit: I did already look on your youtube video it Reading & Northern RR route those very COOL! I can be wait unit they it done!:)

...do you can think that on future your route have been done so maybe can Reading & Northern RR route conncenting with NS Reading Line do you think look good or not?

At this time i'll just say, "nothing is impossible" :). It would add a lot of extra operating possibilities if i did add it.

~Roon

At this time i'll just say, "nothing is impossible" . It would add a lot of extra operating possibilities if i did add it.

~Roon

Ahh, umm so that it hope but honestly with you that I can't force on you that route NS reading Line and Reading & Northern RR routes is that your's and make you feel decide want NS Reading Lines connceting with Reading & Northern RR together make more huge route and add more miles:) So that I understand what you say "nothing is impossible":):p

~ Sorry my english sentence very is poor:( but it hope this make you more lot understand what I say:)

Its ok, i understand. And getting the two routes merged together just depends on how much time i have.

I want to have a substantial amount done and ready for release in early November ;). If i get far enough north, i will go back and attempt to link the two routes together.

~Roon

After being too busy to get much work done for a little while, i'm back at it. I replaced all the tracks again. I've also been going along the line adding weed fertilizer (yes, even more than before :p).

Click on the pictures for full size.

New tracks in Port Clinton.

Just north of Port Clinton. (i still haven't shown shots of the turntable and engine house, because i'm not happy with the turntable models i have to work with.)

Rounding a curve.

New residents. ;)

More weeds.

I've been working on the siding at Zehners and also need to add more details (weeds mostly :p) to around Tamaqua. I should have more pictures soon.

~Roon

Can't wait till it comes out.

One thing that caught my eye after having spent the past 2 months in TC surveyor is just how bad the old built-in cars look.:(

Alan, I was looking at that pic, and the truck's license plate is "LANCE?" (can't read the "?") would Lance by chance drive a red truck?

peter

Following a northbound empty coal train as it lugs more coal hoppers up into the mountains to be loaded at the mines.

All pictures were taken sequentially. As always the pictures are as close to the real thing as possible.
The trip starts just north of Atlas, around milepost 93.5 (being miles from Philadelphia).

One of the locals takes notice, while the other goes about its business. ;)

Quite a secluded place to live, other than the couple trains that run up and down the line each day.

Approaching Zehners at milepost 94.3 and a siding for loading/unloading grains.

Passing the siding at Zehners.

Taking the sharp curve north and starting to pass the first still active coal mining areas, in this case known as the South Tamaqua coal pockets.

to be continued...

Part 2.

Slowing to 20mph as the train has just entered the Tamaqua yard limits

Winding around one of the sharp curves that are a part of the "yard".

At this point, i'll skip any pictures inside Tamaqua, as you've already probably seen enough of those :p.

Probably in Run 8 as the train exits Tamaqua and begins to climb the now continuous 1% or greater grade.

Shot taken from near the top of one of the mountains outside Tamaqua, showing how deep the valley is here.

Approaching a bridge right before the short Tamaqua Tunnel.

Looking down as the train is about to enter the portal.

Thats all for now. Hope you liked them :).

~Roon

The Premium Fine Coal company breaker and load-out facility in South Tamaqua. This is the second serviceable coal mine on my R&N:phase 1 route, still on schedule for release this fall. :)

The spur is actually a bit of a guess, as it actually hasn't been built yet! (a $258,000 state grant was signed last May for its construction so the company could resume rail shipments). So lets just say the route is a little "future-proofed" ;).

The Mountain Job has just delivered the first revenue cars to the new load-out.

Posing for a couple publicity shots ;).

Looking south just below the mine. Piles of mine waste, coal slag, and coal sit on the right.

The mine looking north. Tamaqua and the much larger Greenwood coal breaker are about 4 miles past this spot.

I should be ready to start early beta testing this route to other USLW members soon :).

~Roon

Some more.

Some old (but modified), some new.

With all the trains out on the system, its a quiet day in Port Clinton.

And the only activity at Molino is a flight of vultures circling (up by the bridge).

The north end of the Tamaqua Tunnel. Experimenting with using textures to simulate a shallowl creek.

Now some new ones i just finished tonight.

Testing out a steam excursion, much like the real R&N will be doing with their pacific #425 next month :).
Location is just east (RR north) of the village of Drehersville. A couple of houses i found in the middle of the woods.

He might be hard to see, but notice the guy on the rocking chair, rocking away on his porch. ;D

All for now! :)

~Roon

Did you was ride on Reading & Northern loco engine???? That awesome!

I rode on their old passenger train back in the 1980's. Other than that, no. I would like to take a trip on their upcoming excursions next month, but i'm too busy.

One of my friends, and an ex-Trainz'er did just get hired as a conductor by the R&N just a month ago though :D.

And now, its picture time.

New Ringgold. The only town on the line between Hamburg and Tamaqua.

As you can see, the tracks cut right down through the center of town.

Outside of this town, there are just short stretches of incomplete scenery, then some scenery still to be done north and east of Tamaqua (on the Greenwood running track to the big coal mine), then "Phase 1" is ready for beta testing and eventual release! :D

~Roon

Back