Philadelphia (Work In Progresss) (Large pics)

I'm not sure if you've seen this resource, but the same guy who brought us the large, detailed diagram of the tracks around New York, also brings us this depiction of the entire NJT Railroad and SEPTA Regional Rail systems, including the NEC from Newark, DE to Sunnyside Yard, NY. It may be bigger than what you need, but it includes all the regional and intercity passenger rail lines in and around Philadelphia

NJSEPTAV5.pdf

Oh man Scott, I would've loved to lay track to this template. Thanks! I'll certainly use it going forward along with my other sources.

Hello again. I've been waiting on updating due to wanting things to be more finished. Here's the update anyway. Maybe this whole thread could be renamed "The evolution of the Cira Centre"

One of my textures is reflecting when applied. It's giving me major frustration going through fixing it. I've tried making it one sided, two sided, adding a black alpha channel, trying entirely new textures, adding frozen planes like a deck of cards, and everything else except reconstructing the polygon. The effect is on the two things I have it applied to. It's frustrating me now since I'm getting close with this overall. You can see it on the Sunhood thing reflecting the parking garage. (it's also on the roof which uses the same texture).

Until now, I've done this side as just a mirror of the first side. I didn't know there was something different:

I do plan on having alternate displays for night. This was one I tried, the breast cancer lighting. I have a "prettier" display, but it just makes the building look all white from afar. Sounds like LOD would help with that. You can also see the texture actually reflecting the night parking garage grrrr!

Peco building in the background (Best building I've done so far)

Well that's pretty much it. I hope you can see why I keep coming back to this. It's because I need the parking lot, which is the last roof you see when leaving 30th street. The roof led to everything else. Spent time on everythiing else BUT that roof lol.

Oh yeah, I mentioned making a body of my own for the Silverliner V. THAT's going better than anythiing so far. If someone would love to take it further faster, I'm certainly open to it.

I do have renewed hope knowing there IS a Fox Chase/ West Trenton route being worked on :) (80% complete correct? Thank you for sharing that). Along with Amtrak's NCCE (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-Coast-Commuter-Express(NCCE)&highlight=NCCE) , There should be trains stopping left and right through here.

I'm annoyed at posts that go out of their way to remind folks to "look at this, but don't ask about it because it's only for show"! "Gimme pig this, Gimme pig that"... I"M A GIMME PIG TOO! I've just had so many of you guys great assets that I want to offer something of my own too. I assume we all started as gimme pigs, that's why we wanted to become content creators in the first place. We saw it was possible!

Thanks. I just bought a new house, so I had not had much time to work on the West Trenton route for the last few months, but now things are settling down.

As for that misbehaving texture, a couple of suggestions: 1. Have you tried turning down specularity to eliminate the shine? 2. Does it have an environment map (tbumpenv)? If so, turn that down. 3. Failing all else, rename the material as a onetex, if you haven't already, and dial down the specular: If it looks good, run with it.

Your route is coming along nicely, and I'd love to see an SL-V in Trainz.

Thanks Fellas. RRSignal, thanks again. I knew you mentioned it in the other thread, but didn't see anywhere official other than that. I just knew with so much Philly content there HAD to be something working :). It was your building that got me started in this long before a route. So many pretty buildings you've made already.

Forgot to thank you for the suggestions too. All I'm using is a diffuse texture on it so far. The other effects are the first things I tried removing. I'll try the renaming later on today. One of your suggestions reaffirms that it could be my using m.onetex regardless of what the texture is doing.

Last edited:
Philadelphia, as it happens, is great for both passenger and freight movements. Not only does the CSX High Line run above University City and 30th St Stations to the west of the Schuykill, but there's also a spur crossing the river as well as a whole freight network between the rivers. The building I work in overlooks the freight wye and University City Station. Penn Park also has a wonderful track-level perspective of the Amtrak and SEPTA lines, as well as overhead views from the pedestrian bridges. The road bridges spanning the Schuykill also provide an overhead view of the freight line, and there's a park north of Lombard Ave for additional track-level views. I'm sure I'll find other great perspective points as I continue to explore the city, but this is a sample of places you can use as references when designing the route. You're doing an amazing job so far from what I can see.

Thanks Scottbe8 and Trizzy. It's my intent to have the freight portions of this working too. I noticed I have most of the freight lines around the city.

More work on the SL-V. Before I go any further, it's time to learn more of the accepted ways to progress. I picked up the number of 11k polys as the max so far I've seen anyone mention of their locos. I'm using that as my first gauge. That's why I need to read much more. Most of mine are due to the way I cloned everything based off of the body. The side body panel is 2.5k polys after I pushed and pulled (Cira Centre total is 389 polys pushed and pulled). I'll reconstruct it all again in an easier way. Anyways, here's what exists so far.

Looks good, but I would use two separate interior meshes to save polys. I would use a low poly interior, for exterior cameras; and high poly interior, for interior cameras (Cabview). This way you still keep good frame rates while having a detailed interior. Take a look at one of Ocemy's passenger cars (On the DLS). Notice the exterior view of the inside is low poly and the cab view of the interior is high poly.

Hello everyone. Progress pictures:

The amount of information I can find will determine how functioning the interior will be. I'm building this assuming all of my goals will be able to be accomplished:

I'm still not happy with the dashboard, it's not the correct one. It's been hard finding one to work with. I haven't given up yet. The rest is part of the prototype. The lit panels will probably stay that way. The cab signal is built assuming I can get it to working with scripts and corona swapping. The texturing is done with texture swapping in mind. I have the destination library template already made for the signs and interior monitor The rest only need corona swapping. I still know very little about everything that is actually needed, but I know texture swapping is one of them.

That's where I'm at. I'm trying to get the texturing in position to render them. I'm still not finished adding everything yet, like the interior ceiling, and the handles throughout as well as the outside. The only exterior light I've done so far that I'm happy with is the red one, the only one currently in it's right place. Just showing where things are. Routewise, all that's new is signalling is done between 30th street and Trenton. Nothing to show there but how amazing the Trackview rule is :)

That first render (11k version) was really my way to start aligning the various parts. Every part is now it's own mesh. Nothing is attached. Also, while the pantograph (which went better than I imagined) and the bogies are still there, my default option is to add attachment points and use the readily available versions. I will give the bogie a try eventually, but I still need to study more. All I realistically expect to create is a working body with an interior as prototypical as I can make to add to the game.

If you can wait a week or two, I should be able to grab pics and possibly measurements of the interior. Might be able to grab a pic of the cab, too. BTW, looking great!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I most certainly can wait RRSignal. I was just reading on cab signal interiors and it took me to the M7. I tried the ACMU instead. I just rode in it and it's a huge help. Thanks again!

Still taking a look at the M7 too. The source files are a huge help as well.

Last edited:
Good evening. Thanks as always for the encouragement. I'm trying to fix some of my bigger misses as I learn more:

I apologize for underestimating all that goes into even a reskin. I'm still working on something good enough to actually be one. Still just my personal work.

I know it's just a building, but it's the building I'm using for Andi's tutorial to learn the next steps needed.

Staring at Civic Cntr. Blvd:

It's bare between here and..:

Here! I got the crazy idea to work here:

Runway and Taxiway are working (currently 4 planes can fly a loop and hit separate terminals without problems). I don't know why I wired them:

Cont'd

Question where did you get that airport model from? I am dying for one of those lolz.

Back