Philadelphia (Work In Progresss) (Large pics)

Thanks Guys!

More of words than an update. I REALLY think we all need to see this in the game, and I want to show it there without flaws. These aren't that. This is to relieve my updatitis. I want it, but I want us all to have it. It's actually further along than these show. these are from a couple weeks ago when I was going to update.

I did think I could get away with just copying the first side, but the other side isn't like that mostly. Everything is nice, smooth and rendered down to low poly. It stands currently at 8k polys down from 98k in the last pictures. I haven't broken the body itself down yet. It looks nicer in standard light. I'm still not done. This is the last corner to fix. Also working on the logo:

A closeup would do it more justice. but then I would start working on it again lol. Most of this thread is me trying to just use photo texturing. I'm not too good at that. I can build everything from scratch now. that's working for me. Doing the stickers and such:

Currently, the bogie is more in line with the normal bogies in the game (not like it's shown). I've moved the braking to the body as I would like to animate them. Cant do that with these keeping it under 2k polys so far. Once I figure out how best to low poly those (if I 'd just learn LOD I could skip all this), then I could finish these:

It's you Guys' fault for keeping the bar raised so high that reminds me how much I still have to do.:)

I'm also still working on this too:

Last edited:
Thanks Malikrthr! :)

I missed the response. Working more to seeing how the first render looks in the game. I'll redo the A/C when I get in later. Shadows turned on really for this pic.

Hello again. I always trust the pictures to out talk what I put into words. I'll lead with the pictures:

I wished all of the previous renders were pics from the game. I had an almost spot on rush job of a mesh in Mesh Viewer, but it wouldn't show in the game. After doing everything except checking if something was setup as 1 or 2 sided (found through trying everything else in the forum search and then this). I went through those up there. Most of what is still off inside the game is due to me doing an equally "half fast" job with the tbumpenv map. I have plenty of things I wouldn't have seen without the game shot. Thanks as always.

Hello again. I know it's like pot-luck when you click into here. I shouldn't show so much of what goes wrong. I get impatient, that's all. I had to give at least some better picture of what that was trying to be.

My endless gratitude to you all that still check in.

Hello again. I know it's like pot-luck when you click into here. I shouldn't show so much of what goes wrong. I get impatient, that's all. I had to give at least some better picture of what that was trying to be.

My endless gratitude to you all that still check in.

Still looking good! I'm guessing it's just the rendering, but the stripes and markings look extremely faded.

Thank you both. Yes, it's the rendering the body with it that causes that. I still will have them separate. This batch was to see how the metal looks in the game.

Believe me when I say both Silverliner's would be beneficial to the game since the IVs make up the most of the fleet.

My motivation. I chose 5 first because it's the one that seems no one wants to make. My inner gimme pig always wanted Conny's stuff. I still dont have, so make my own.

I'm stuck here due to repeating a mistake with getting to meshviewer, but not in game. When I can get psyched to further learn to fix my mistakes, all phases move forward. All of the previous game shots went through this too. I will fix it for good. Easiest would be to just make new mesh. I'm still learning, so it's best to fix mistakes.

To show it's moved on past looking that bad:

This was about the logo being faded last time. I also worked on windows and lights a bit. The logo shines orange, but is red. That's as far as any lighting work I've done is.

Applying all of how not to make mistakes in the first place and start new:

(It's easier than alt-tabbing) The empty spot up top isn't used by SEPTA. Considering liveries it will have, I have to make sure none of the other companies use it either. Seems to be a great place to put an express or whatever sign.

Thanks always!

Still looking good!

Or, as SEPTA's slogan used to go, "We're Getting There." lol! :)

Just thinking that too! :D Some of the trolley cars still have that old slogan on the inside walls.

My motivation. I chose 5 first because it's the one that seems no one wants to make. My inner gimme pig always wanted Conny's stuff. I still dont have, so make my own.

I'm stuck here due to repeating a mistake with getting to meshviewer, but not in game. When I can get psyched to further learn to fix my mistakes, all phases move forward. All of the previous game shots went through this too. I will fix it for good. Easiest would be to just make new mesh. I'm still learning, so it's best to fix mistakes.

To show it's moved on past looking that bad:

This was about the logo being faded last time. I also worked on windows and lights a bit. The logo shines orange, but is red. That's as far as any lighting work I've done is.

Applying all of how not to make mistakes in the first place and start new:

(It's easier than alt-tabbing) The empty spot up top isn't used by SEPTA. Considering liveries it will have, I have to make sure none of the other companies use it either. Seems to be a great place to put an express or whatever sign.

Thanks always!

I think the best thing you can do with both models. Make their shells naked until it's time to script. This way the colors on the 3D mesh do not get distorted and you will have less polygons to import into the game. (Less polygons means, less leg and less downloading time to get it.) Once you script and you set up separate script meshes, this is where the paint of cars come in. That, I would be more then happy to help you with because I want to be involved in this project in some way and say, "This person and I (plus who ever helps) brought Regional Rail to Trainz. The REAL Regional Rail!" If I can make an M8 look like a SL-V (and now people have been copying that idea from me since I lost it years ago) I can make that SL-V look like a real life model lol. Plus, this make room to make different versions of the SL-IV & V. Like Penn Central, Reading & NJ Transit for the SL-IVs (NJ Transit called them Arrow IIs) and RTD Denver for the SL-V.

#teamphillytrainz

I think the best thing you can do with both models. Make their shells naked until it's time to script. This way the colors on the 3D mesh do not get distorted and you will have less polygons to import into the game. (Less polygons means, less leg and less downloading time to get it.) Once you script and you set up separate script meshes, this is where the paint of cars come in. That, I would be more then happy to help you with because I want to be involved in this project in some way and say, "This person and I (plus who ever helps) brought Regional Rail to Trainz. The REAL Regional Rail!" If I can make an M8 look like a SL-V (and now people have been copying that idea from me since I lost it years ago) I can make that SL-V look like a real life model lol. Plus, this make room to make different versions of the SL-IV & V. Like Penn Central, Reading & NJ Transit for the SL-IVs (NJ Transit called them Arrow IIs) and RTD Denver for the SL-V.

#teamphillytrainz

I think I've lost my mind. I had a response here, but now it's not. Oh well! Thanks Trizzy for the tips! I see everyone else builds their models this way too, I've just been too lazy to wait it out. Like this? :)

Hello again. No bites on that grey thing up there huh? Too early? That's why I appreciate your patience!! Anyways, I'm still at it. I wanted to see how the door was going....FAIL!

I do like the first side of this, it came out clean, it's just too squarish. It's moving beyond blocks that the problems start lol:

yes, far from done. Thanks as always!

I'll restate I'm open to help, I can get Skype if needed, or whichever way is reasonable. I'm sure for the time I put in, others have pumped more than 200 assets into the DLS. Mine always feel skeletal.

Back