Need screenshots of towns - USA

ben1987

Hellow.

I build a large route (USA region) in Trs12 whit hills, seeas, towns, and i need some help... I need some ideas to build a town around my tracks ( screenshots please). Thanks! :)

Or Bing maps, which has a Bird's Eye view that'll give you slanted pics as well as the normal overhead map and satellite views. However, you need to provide more information about how you want your to be i.e. what size, era and character (rural, suburban, urban, light-industrial, heavy industrial, etc.)

To give myself ideas... I ask myself the question... What's the purpose for this town being there? Is it a Logging town, Farm land, Industrial, Retirement, or more basic Urban or rural, etc. Then I go through the objects tab looking for things that apply. For example, you don't need office buildings in Farmland but you also don't need Farm houses in the "main street" areas. You'll need gas stations almost everywhere. Fast food, restaurants or diners. Gotta keep your people fed. Maybe a large chain store like a Home Depot or Walmart/Kmart. Keep in mind... if you lived there, what would you need.

I kinda suck at "creating towns", but hopefully that idea may help.

Additionally: Have you peeked at some of the built-in routes. I find good inspiration there.

Last edited:
It's a complicated subject; the formation of towns near the railroad tracks. In the old days the relationship was far more intimate, with industries and commercial districts immediately next to the right of way, now days the tracks just cut through what seems to be an endless sea of suburban housing. The best towns will sprawl on both sides of the track, which can be hard in Trainz considering the crossings and the track spacing. A model of the current day will probably have some industry close to the tracks, or at least a couple abandoned factories or warehouses. A commuter line will have more small businesses near the tracks to serve the commuters, and can even have shopping centers and upscale housing. If it's a strictly freight line you are modeling, it will probably be not so integrated with the town, and in fact be fenced off, walled off, or otherwise hidden from the town as much as possible. Of course since that would be less than optimum real estate along the tracks, the homes and businesses would probably be a bit "seedier" there, unless it's the rare locality that has embraced it's industrial nature.

Nice work with the screens, by the way.

Ben,

Ed (Euphod) sumarized this very well.

What is helpful too is knowing what area you are trying to model. Is this the old rust-belt Northeast where I live, or is this the Midwest farming area where there are silos and small sheds lined up along a single track mainline that parallels a brick-store-fronted main street?

John

Back