My pc is just trundling along !!

targanon

Targ (Chris)
OK I have a dual core graphic card a GTX295 water cooled, 6 core AMD running at 3.2 gig, 16 gig DDR3 Ram. 600gig Velociraptor HDD as my first Hdd the windows install and Trainz 12.

both cores aon my Graphic are set to floating clock speed.. and are currently plodding along at 2-5% Usage.

My CPU is not even breaking a sweat at 43% usage that includes 1 core running @ 100% for Fraps. one of the other cores is running at 53% usage with Trainz the other four cores are just doing system **** I guess. Oh yeah I getting like 40 fps on a very demanding Route. with everything turned up flat out... including AA at 16x

Good weather cloud set to .2 just for realism...

is there anyway to force more work onto my Graphic card... ??? I mean yeah the FPS is grat but I think it could be way better ... maybe if the work was split over the 6 cores of my CPU or the Graphic work was done by my GPU's.

I mean come on this is 2012 is it not!???? surely we have the technology to do this..

OK I have a dual core graphic card a GTX295 water cooled, 6 core AMD running at 3.2 gig, 16 gig DDR3 Ram. 600gig Velociraptor HDD as my first Hdd the windows install and Trainz 12.

both cores aon my Graphic are set to floating clock speed.. and are currently plodding along at 2-5% Usage.

My CPU is not even breaking a sweat at 43% usage that includes 1 core running @ 100% for Fraps. one of the other cores is running at 53% usage with Trainz the other four cores are just doing system **** I guess. Oh yeah I getting like 40 fps on a very demanding Route. with everything turned up flat out... including AA at 16x

Good weather cloud set to .2 just for realism...

is there anyway to force more work onto my Graphic card... ??? I mean yeah the FPS is grat but I think it could be way better ... maybe if the work was split over the 6 cores of my CPU or the Graphic work was done by my GPU's.

I mean come on this is 2012 is it not!???? surely we have the technology to do this..

yeah and...

Is this thread just a way if boasting about your PC, mine is clunky old dimensionE520 thats fan cooled.

yes its running full maxed everything ...
and no its not a thread boast....

I'm just having trouble understanding why if my system is soo powerfull whjy is it not pulling like 100fps.. and making it movie smooth.. ... oh wait its the 10 year old engine...

that only talks to 1 core

I'm just having trouble understanding why if my system is soo powerfull whjy is it not pulling like 100fps.. and making it movie smooth.. ... oh wait its the 10 year old engine...

I think it's two cores. If not doing so presently, try switching to DirectX vs OpenGL. That will give you a boost in FPS at a slight loss in graphic quality. By the way most of those computer specs you have are being wasted on TRAINZ. I am using an i5 650 @ 3.2 GHz, 7Gb of RAM and a pedestrian MSI GT430 @ 800 MHZ/1GB. This rig also gives me a consistent 40+ FPS.

tomurban

Last edited:
I think it's two cores.

I was politely corrected in another thread that it has not been established that 12 only uses 2 cores, and John Whelan (who knows infinitely more than I on the subject of PCs) suspects it may use more than 2, if given the opportunity.;)

I was politely corrected in another thread that it has not been established that 12 only uses 2 cores, and John Whelan (who knows infinitely more than I on the subject of PCs) suspects it may use more than 2, if given the opportunity.;)

It does. I've watched the threads using Process Explorer XP. You can see which application us using what core and all other kinds of goodies.

It's free from Microsoft.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

John

There's a lot more than just playing back a movie as it seems while driving a train in Trainz. The computer isn't singly tasked at putting all its power at your one and only program. The computer's components are handling multiple tasks including interrupts, events, and other things at the same time while you're running Trainz. So what we see on the screen is only a slice of the time used to do everything else the computer needs to do just to operate.

The other thing too is we're still limited by the throughput of the buss. The components can only work so fast before burning out. Right now one of the biggest limiters is heat. The faster the components run, the hotter the computer gets. The chip design engineers are looking into ways around the heat using different materials and interconnection technology.

The other limiter is frequency where the components need to operate at higher frequencies, causing noise on the buss. When this happens, this causes computers to become unstable since the signals they respond to are not what they should be. Remember chips only read 1s and 0s, and anything in between, caused by noise, can go either way. Sometimes the guessed value is correct, other times not, so if the value is wrong everything falls apart. Intel and other chip manufacturers have been working on this issue for years, and Intel's LGA1333 i7, for example is one of the chips that now includes the memory controller on the same substrate (dye) as the CPU. This allows the memory controller to talk quickly to the CPU without interruptions caused by the noise around it. Think of this as a private conference room for the MC and the CPU.

Anyway, this just a couple of things that are limits to the speed of the program, not counting the program processing its code and the CPU being able to receive the information fast enough. Hard drive speed helps and so does extra RAM (chip) memory. Hard drives, by their very design, are much slower than RAM, and not having enough RAM can cause programs to run sluggishly.

John

I love the direction of this thread.. while I"m not looking fo rmore FPS or b ragging of the power of my pc..

I am interested in your views as to the direction of of PC's and Trainz..
I know that its not just using one core or doing one thing. but it is using one core a majority of time and thus showing 80% usage on that core while the others (6) just poke along at 3-10% usage.

as I was saying that my video card was dying I had no Idea how bad it was.. I finally put my new GTX560 OC ti Hydro and I will say that I'm so happy with the improvement .. while there has not been a huge improvement in FPS due to the I'm no longer getting a little step every 2 or 3 sec's. so now its very smooth..

It took me a littl longer to put my new video card as I had all the plumbing to do as well, and found the reason for the old one dying I had a kink in one of the hoses so a little home work and thinking about a new route for the hoses meant a full re plumb.. after 3 hours of cleaning and running hoses and putting hardware in. my PC was refilled with distilled water and and coolant. and time to get the drivers sorted and once that was done. I had to do some tricks with my pc to get the bubbles out!

Its great 23' C even under stress from some great testing from 3D mark and some other games I have.

anyway

some day we may be able to run Trainz like its a movie with such good images screaming by...

Back