Thoughts around "my future"

Shortline2

Hi all,
Last week, Thursday my time in Norway, I took the offer to update to Trainz 2022 Platinum, downloaded it and last I did a few days ago was copying the files from my "day to day computer" into my "best computer" but never got to install it...
My "Day Computer" is from 2010 and my "Best" is from 2012, neither are any good really in this modern day of ours...
So I bought it more as a support as last I bought was 2019 Platinum in 2020 and hardly has that been looked at either.

But, yesterday I took a big plunge and ordered a hefty new computer, being built for me, as the price on parts alone was so that the about 70 USD difference from parts from this company to a built by them computer using same parts, made it so I took the "build it for me" as driving 9-hours + each way to get to my brother on the other side of the country to get building help would cost me way more...

Anyway, I hope it shall take not long and I could pick it up next Wednesday when I have my first known Drive Out again, rest of time I am home alone hiding from the world except a morning walk/run in the dark before most people get up. :)
My sort of chosen life, hearing yesterday how my brother gets so tired of interacting with people at his work just make me happier I can actually do this living for the most part.

So, now I need to prepare for a new computer with only Windows 11 installed, probably lot of "crap" with that I need to change, fix, I run Win7 on my most used computer and Win10 on the one where I use Trainz, even if this also has Trainz in it...

This is what I did order;
  • Phanteks Eclipse G500A DRGB Mid Tower (sort) ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ITX, E-ATX *(up to 280mm wide), Steel chassis
  • MSI GeForce RTX 4090 VENTUS 3X OC Graphic card, PCI Express 4, 24GB GDDR6X
  • Intel Core i9-14900KF Tray LGA 1700, 24-cores, 32-Threads, 6.0GHz, Raptor Lake
  • CM ML360L Core ARGB Komplett Edition Cooler 360mm Radiator, 3x120mm ARGB Fans, ARGB pump
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5200MHz 192GB (sort) C38, XMP 3.0, 4x48GB
  • Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 1TB M.2 SSD, PCIe 4.0, 1TB, 7300/6000 MB/s, PS5 ready
  • Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB M.2 SSD, PCIe 4.0, 2TB, 7300/7000 MB/s
  • Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB M.2 SSD, PCIe 4.0, 2TB, 7300/7000 MB/s
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI Motherboard LGA1700, ATX, DDR5, 1 x PCIe 5.0, 2 x PCIe 4.0, 4 x M.2
  • Corsair HX1200, 1200W PSU ATX 12V V2.4, 80 PLUS Platinum, Modular, 6x 6+2-pin PCIe, 16x SATA, 12x Molex
  • Windows 11 Pro Nordic + English
  • Logitech Z313 PC Speakers 3.5mm minijack, 2.1 Speaker System, total 25W RMS
This was about 5388 USD translated from Norwegian Kroners at exchange rate right now, so I really invested in my own Future Hopes. But, I Did Not buy this for Trainz use really, I bought it as I work often with a older version of Global Mapper which is a map tool program I use for my Cripple Creek, Colorado research and work, and to keep up with the constant demands of not so good written MS Office anymore as it is darn slow on my old computer and that has 16GB of RAM so should not be that bad...

Anyway, any things I need to keep in mind for Trainz use when this beast arrives and need to be put in use here at my place?

I so wish I could have gotten the better grid in Trainz, but locking myself into fixed payments where I only use the program, and not care anything for the included Routes or Rolling stock I get from the packs one can buy or borrow through the Supscription Fee it just have not felt wise.

And, yes, spending for that amout above might make me a cheap person, but to me, that is a whopping 2,5 months full income for just one 1 computer, meaning it will take years to replace that sum, I do need to keep my spending on a tight leash.

I plan to try another go at looking at Blender as I also have to install TurboCAD as I also use that, and I hope to be able to dabble a little with 3D stuff again if I can get my mind around this new stuff for "painting models" as TurboCAD has used similar stuff and it just been confusing and messy and not nice looking.

Need to find the Free Reseources, as paying all the time really mess with my wish to be around in the world.

I visits this Forum at most once a week, it can be several weeks also - and I used to read this Forum every morning before I lost my husband and went into widowhood, and my Autism brain really lost safety and life became surprisingly more stressful!
How life changes..

I stop babbling now, I just feel so proud of myself for trying to step back into the world and do some changes that will impact my day to day computer life, and I still remember foundly my younger Trainz days of fun when I was able to make models and understood what I was doing.

Anyone know of good text based explainations of this material/texturing stuff, not videos, as I don't like watching and I tend to fall asleep and grasp nothing, I need to experiment but last time I tried it, many years ago, I got a quite dark model into T:ANE but it looked like it should in the modeling program - I just gave up as I though I done right.

Take care people and I hope I was not too boring, I tried watching my words.

Linda, joyfull for some winter sun outside. :)

Great new machine, Shortline2! It will run Windows 11 and all versions of Trainz really well. Brilliant for Blender and other image editing tasks with that DDR5 RAM and GPU/ CPU combination.
If you are keen on text-based explanations/ tutorials, then I'd suggest that you use Bing AI or ChatGPT queries to set a learning path for yourself regarding 3d modelling and texture creation. It will also help you to use AI as a learning tool too. Start with simple, basic questions and work from there.
The new rig will be great for TRS22 Platinum Edition route development too. Have fun!

Congratulations on your well-deserved PC upgrade. This will keep you busy during the dark, cold winter. ;-)

When I replaced my PC early last year, I found that it was far less expensive to buy a pre-build than it was to purchase the parts individually. Windows 11 is much like Windows 10 except with more stuff and you'll get used to it soon enough.

Nice rig. Be sure to check the power supply plug on the graphics card is seated fully. Make sure it didn't come loose in shipping. They still have an issue with overheating and melting. Otherwise I envy you being able to afford your nice rig. Let us know how well it runs Trainz HD terrain.(y)

Jack

Thank you guys,

I am starting to feel this "want it now feel" and it still is listed as ordered and nothing else so I guess it will be more than 1 week before I can get to check it out.

I did check when I last did a model, wow, April 2017 the date said on the file, and it took "only like 2-3 minutes to open and be able to work on it on my old computer - not Blender file.
Imagine this i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz used to be "top of the line" at one time...

PC_Ace, thanks for the thought/idea about using the ChatGP thingy, I have a nearby neighbor that so wanted me to test it out for some reason I never grasped, now you gave a me link to a possible use that at least brings me closer to try it out, thank you!

jjslll54, thank you for the words about checking cables, I had forgot that part as I did experience similar as I grilled a RTX 2070 card back in May 2020 in my 2012 computer as we came back to here from a "10 days turning into 2 years stay" at my childhood home with my brother. Cables had loosen and got caught in one of the fans and bye to that card... So it was back to the old GTX 980 card in that computer.

Appreice the words/feedbacks and feel of not being left out all the time as now soon I too have something that connects me to others again. :)

Best Wishes

Linda

Thank you guys,

I am starting to feel this "want it now feel" and it still is listed as ordered and nothing else so I guess it will be more than 1 week before I can get to check it out.

I did check when I last did a model, wow, April 2017 the date said on the file, and it took "only like 2-3 minutes to open and be able to work on it on my old computer - not Blender file.
Imagine this i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz used to be "top of the line" at one time...

PC_Ace, thanks for the thought/idea about using the ChatGP thingy, I have a nearby neighbor that so wanted me to test it out for some reason I never grasped, now you gave a me link to a possible use that at least brings me closer to try it out, thank you!

jjslll54, thank you for the words about checking cables, I had forgot that part as I did experience similar as I grilled a RTX 2070 card back in May 2020 in my 2012 computer as we came back to here from a "10 days turning into 2 years stay" at my childhood home with my brother. Cables had loosen and got caught in one of the fans and bye to that card... So it was back to the old GTX 980 card in that computer.

Appreice the words/feedbacks and feel of not being left out all the time as now soon I too have something that connects me to others again. :)

Best Wishes

Linda
Linda: It is great to see that the Shortline has become a Longline with a new pooter and you are still interested in Trainz and developing more content. Dont know if I ever thanked you enough for the 18 inch rounded nose flat and the tank car that I asked you to make..... I include an 18 inch line in all my routes. I use your tank to remove wastewater, a modified, bright blue version for delivering fresh water to my miners and a yellow or red version for other liquids. Linda, I followed your hard life story for many years and I am sorry about your husband passing. Now for another request.... How about a tiny Mancha trammer minus the operator for my Equipment Sales Yard? Welcome home Linda Longline from Bobber in Canada.

Back