Melbourne Trainz Project 2014 *WARNING LARGE IMAGES*

matthewdavalle

I have started to create the melbourne trainz route
this route goes from Craigeburn-City (Flinders street) and Flinders street to sunbury for now
This route will go in the loop, and will extend to the whole system this route is based to this day with RLL Works in this route.
This route is expected to be over 1GB, i will need people to do the texters and the loop designs.
More to come.

Here is the first picture
Screenshot%202014-09-24%2014.54.45.png

G'day!

Its nice to see someone with this much enthusiasm. Its always interesting to see what projects people undertake on the forums and I applaud you for exuberance.
I take it you are using Sketchup to make models for your route? Quick word of advice; if you are consistently going to be making custom models for Trainz through Sketchup, your route is going to exceed more than a gigabyte. Sketchup models are very high poly and thus will cause bigger files and thus dull performance. My advice would be to rather make models through modelling programs such as GMax, Blender 3Ds MAX.

Good luck with your route!

Cheers!

Jake.

Thanks Jake! thanks for the advice but i can't use GMax on a mac i will do some work on gmax
on my laptop

Thanks
Matt

Here is a update on my first object the kensington signal box so far 90% complete thanks to google maps
Screenshot%202014-09-24%2019.39.17.png

Last edited:
What are you basing the 1gb route size on - the average size for about 100km of route is 20 to 30 MB - I have worked on a route that was 342 MB but this almost killed trainz TS12 and it was very [FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]unworkable.[/FONT]

-
I have started to create the melbourne trainz route
this route goes from Craigeburn-City (Flinders street) and Flinders street to sunbury for now
This route will go in the loop, and will extend to the whole system this route is based to this day with RLL Works in this route.
This route is expected to be over 1GB, i will need people to do the texters and the loop designs.
More to come.

Here is the first picture

Last edited:
What are you basing the 1gb route size on - the average size for about 100km of route is 20 to 30 MB - I have worked on a route that was 342 MB but this almost killed trainz TS12 and it was very [FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]unworkable.[/FONT]

-

The Geelong, Queenscliff, Warrnambool route I'm working on is over 250km total track length not including extra boards and that's a mere 137mb, lol

i'm doing my best to reduce the poly count on sketchup
and i have not started laying track, and to add to that when i download GMax it install's some recorder
so i am stuck on sketchup for now.
and about the 1GB File well someone built a city that is 25GB And counting

Matt

Last edited:
You must have the wrong end of the stick somewhere as that would never work in trainz.
Are you talking about a sketch up file. Any bit of continent over 4 mb starts to taxes trainz.

i'm doing my best to reduce the poly count on sketchup
and i have not started laying track, and to add to that when i download GMax it install's some recorder
so i am stuck on sketchup for now.
and about the 1GB File well someone built a city that is 25GB And counting

Matt

You must have the wrong end of the stick somewhere as that would never work in trainz.
Are you talking about a sketch up file. Any bit of continent over 4 mb starts to taxes trainz.
sorry to not describe about that 25GB file the 25GB File was a route file, and about the 4mb file size i will take into account.

And here is the last update of the night
the signal box is 95% done with the interior done
nWgXoow.png

Matt

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble and call you out on this but there is no way in Trainz that a route file can be 25GB in size - You would have to be running a Cray or some other super computer to just to load it.
sorry to not describe about that 25GB file the 25GB File was a route file, and about the 4mb file size i will take into account.

And here is the last update of the night
the signal box is 95% done with the interior done

Matt

V/Line is a agency of the Victorian Government that run passenger trains and own freight lines too, between 2002 through to 2010 the Government was buying back assets that Kennett sold off.... dunno how hes built a route that excludes V/Line >_>

Cheers.

I would assume he's got the spark lines only currently, and added up the length from FSS-Cragieburn, FFS-Werribee, FFS-Sunbury

I'm not feeling this route to be honest. Somehow I think it'll just be another failed project

Is this track KM's or route KM's

How can you exclude V/line - are they not just a passenger agency that runs trains on the Victorian state track network ?????
Some line's don't have vline and some have vline the line's that have will have the track for 1KM.
The calculation was from Wikipedia.
I would assume he's got the spark lines only currently, and added up the length from FSS-Cragieburn, FFS-Werribee, FFS-Sunbury

I'm not feeling this route to be honest. Somehow I think it'll just be another failed project
I was making a route on MSTS (Microsoft Train Sim) but that failed as it is very hard to make
so i started on trainz i will see if i can get it done :).

I get that vibe to mate - will have to wait to see an in trainz screen shot

Does not seem to answer questions just state more facts = maybe he is a politician

Hi Matt,

It's pretty much going to be impossible for you to even exclude V/Line if your doing just Melbourne area as they run over 90% of the lines, Melbourne area is V/Line's railway hub, you have Freight Yards/Hump Yard, South Dynon for Loco Maintenance, North Melbourne where they shunt the rollingtock, passenger maintenance, and the trains that pass the Melbourne stations every 20 mins or so.

Here's a video of a era I grew up with...

if your my age you'll remember it...

Cheers.

i won't avoid doing the hump and all of the v/line stuff, but if it anyone wants i can do vline
as a update when i finish the game but expect it to be a big file.

Matt

Update time kensington is 50% done i'm now up to the sidings at north melbourne, i need help on the modeling of north melbourne and southern cross.
Here is a pic of a GM class loco in the kensington grain sidings
Screenshot%202014-09-29%2013.43.49.png

Back