Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

Will KRS take advantage of Dual Core CPU’s?
Rail Simulator does take advantage of Dual Core CPU’s so those with these installed will see a benefit. However we understand that not every system in the Train Simulation market is using the latest hardware and thus we are ensuring that as many as possible can enjoy Rail Simulator to high standards.

I will test Rail Simulator with my now many years old Athlon XP 2600+ and 9800 PRO 128MB. Then I will know what I need for the future. March 2008 I will buy/built me my next Computer.

23 days until release here in Germany (4.10.):cool:

There is a difference between taking advantage of ie run the operating system on one cpu at 5% utilisation and the sim on the other and runnig both at 100%, even the Microsoft sim only uses 15% of the second cpu and there is overhead associated with this. Have they any perfmon stats?

Thanks John

There is a difference between taking advantage of ie run the operating system on one cpu at 5% utilisation and the sim on the other and runnig both at 100%, even the Microsoft sim only uses 15% of the second cpu and there is overhead associated with this. Have they any perfmon stats?

Thanks John

I don't know about the difference, but we will see...

No, today I found nothing about performance between single/2-core cpu.
Waiting... for News and Reviews from the users and websites.

Will the physics be scriptable?
Rail Simulator’s physics system is not open to scripting via LUA. The core physics of our simulator is a very integral part its operation and thus the smallest of changes could create large unexpected alterations. Therefore, these types of modification will be protected from the casual user, while for advanced users and add-on developers we intend to work closely together to supply any feasible further enhancements.

What in the hell?:eek:

Why do corporations do this to us? If I want to mess around with the physics and screw stuff up, then I should be able to screw with the physics and mess stuff up! I can always reinstall!

This is really messed up. Really, really messed up.

Why do corporations do this to us? If I want to mess around with the physics and screw stuff up, then I should be able to screw with the physics and mess stuff up! I can always reinstall!

This refers to the core physics of the simulation. You'll still be able to "mess around" with an individual loco's physics settings (power, acceleration, braking, etc) via the loco's config file.

Steve.

Originally Posted by techni

Will the physics be scriptable?
Rail Simulator’s physics system is not open to scripting via LUA. The core physics of our simulator is a very integral part its operation and thus the smallest of changes could create large unexpected alterations. Therefore, these types of modification will be protected from the casual user, while for advanced users and add-on developers we intend to work closely together to supply any feasible further enhancements.

The more control you have the more people have to pay for what they want. Trainz is remarkably open ended. Sort of made by the people for the people. All we have to do is give Auran a bit of cash from time to time to keep the basic engine reasonably current.

Cheerio John

KRS looks good, but a video of trains running tells us little about its functions, what will be available and how user friendly it will be to use. I will be getting KRS, but I'm certainly not rash enough to say that I won't be using Trainz, especially with the additional features slated for TC3.

Agreed. I think the features for both are very good. Providing KRS is stable, of course.

The only thing I'd note is that the video is slightly juddery (technical term) in places. If this is on a high-spec developer's machine, how are our lowly PCs going to cope? :confused: :eek:

The more control you have the more people have to pay for what they want. Trainz is remarkably open ended. Sort of made by the people for the people. All we have to do is give Auran a bit of cash from time to time to keep the basic engine reasonably current.

Cheerio John

Well, you could hardly expect them to do it for free could you? :Y:

Agreed. I think the features for both are very good. Providing KRS is stable, of course.

The only thing I'd note is that the video is slightly juddery (technical term) in places. If this is on a high-spec developer's machine, how are our lowly PCs going to cope? :confused: :eek:

Didn't you know that one of the backers is Intel?

Cheerio John

Release in the US?

I've seen no information about any release plans for North America. Are they not going to try and sell it over here?

From past experience and from having exchanged a few PMs with KujuAdam, I'd say when Kuju say "soon" or "shortly", they actually mean it :)

I'd imagine that an announcement regarding the US version will probably be made a few weeks after the European release, judging by how things have been working so far. Kuju certainly seem to be a lot more forthcoming with information than Auran have been the past few years.

Looking forward to the 5th!

Route Creation

At least this time they are not saying: Well, here's an editor so you can make your own routes, but we are not supporting it!

In fact, they are even using the word "simple" in the description. I have high hopes.

For the moment I think I'll abstain from purchasing KRS till next year, why? Because although they are to some extent targeting the German market all they are including are two German locomotives and a route that most of us German railfans have never heard of. Whereas Trainz already has loads of fab German content out there, payware and freeware, some of which has immensly good scripting (like for Indusi, EbuLa, Sifa) that I have yet to see in KRS engines. Another reason is because I am eagerly awaiting the release of Trainz Classics 3, mostly because I have been wanting the route in it for a long time and I'm a sucker for British diesel;) If Auran can still appeal to my tastes more than a competitior can, than of course I shall stick with a company and a product I know I like.

endofrant

WileeCoyote:D

Edit: Did I just kill the thread?

Last edited:
I am eagerly awaiting the release of KRS in the US. I will not be interested in Microsoft's updated train simulator,because there is no way I am installing Vista! They were very smart to make KRS XP operable. I do not care what routes come installed,just content. If there are GP 38-2's built in that are re-skinable,I'm happy. I love TRS 2004,hate 2006,and still will consider Classic,just waiting for the retail release. My main concerns in any railroad simulator are realism,ease of use to build routes,and realistic physics. My hope is that it is easier to build routes than in MSTS.
Joe S.

Bummer

krs has been put back.

The new official release date is 12th October 2007.

I bet them electronic arts idiots will carry on putting it back evan further to.

Wouldn't be a proper rail simulator unless there was at least one delay. ;)

Having said that ..... bummer. Still only a week.

How about this for a bummer then lol.

Rail Simulator Minimum & Recommended Computer Specs

by KujuAdam on 17 Sep 2007 12:10
Hi Everyone,

We can finally release details about Rail Simulators hardware requirements, so here they are:

In order to install and play Rail Simulator, your system must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements
Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound Card: - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard Drive Space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

In order to play the game as intended, your computer should match or exceed the following recommended system specifications:
Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1.0GB
Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 3.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series from Creative Labs
Hard Drive space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

Of somewhat the same line is an e-mail I got awhile ago from the Railsimulator guys...

Hi Fritz,

We are currently working on the Rail Driver interface so there certainly will be compatibility with Rail Simulator.

Changing gears in a locomotive is present in Rail Simulator; however none of the supplied rolling stock currently requires this function, so you will have to wait for further items to become available before being able to use the gear functionality.

Rail Simulator is compatible with Windows Vista, although the present version is aimed at Windows XP users. Therefore Rail Simulator does not take advantage of any additional features Vista and DirectX 10 have to offer. There will be a later release aimed specifically at Windows Vista users some time in 2008.

Thank you for your continued support.

Rail Simulator Team

Since I have a computer that runs Vista very nicely I think I will wait till next year, who knows, it might have been released by then:p

WileeCoyote:D

Back