GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Contructive critisism on: You got to have a look at the bricks or move the timbers at level with the entry door's window a little up or down. Since everything on a brick built half-timbered house is related to the dimensions of one whole brick (imperial German bricks tend to be slightly larger than modern ones, but the principle holds true), so there should be no horizontal splits.

Otherwise it is a sweet little thing, especially the textures for the timbers are superb.

Question: the X-timbers, is that a regional thing? I am used to seing only one diagonal timber pr. corner, so I was thinking; is that ornamental, or does it serve a purpose? I mean; it is not a large building, so the demand for structural support is limited.

Contructive critisism on: You got to have a look at the bricks or move the timbers at level with the entry door's window a little up or down. Since everything on a brick built half-timbered house is related to the dimensions of one whole brick (imperial German bricks tend to be slightly larger than modern ones, but the principle holds true), so there should be no horizontal splits.

You are absolutely right, the mapping is still a catastrophe, still a work in process

Otherwise it is a sweet little thing, especially the textures for the timbers are superb.

Das geht runter wie Oel :) How to translate this idiom to English?

Question: the X-timbers, is that a regional thing? I am used to seing only one diagonal timber pr. corner, so I was thinking; is that ornamental, or does it serve a purpose? I mean; it is not a large building, so the demand for structural support is limited.

It's purely ornamental. Static demands only one diagonal at each corner in opposite direction.

Mick!

Picked up a couple of nice P&L Locomotives from Jointedrail on Friday and decided to continue my project of Paducah so i built these today pretty simple stuff but still it's a struggle sum times lol.

A Simple sign.

Maintenance Shed.

Rolling Stock Shed.

Loco Shed which i made age's ago. All of these will hopefully one day sit on the PAL Master DEM from Checkrail.com

And finally the yard office.
Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
decided to continue my project of Paducah so i built these today pretty simple stuff but still it's a struggle sum times lol.

Mick - looks like a great success for your "struggle"! Fantastic work! You've made it look easy...but alas I know its not. Good work!

Last edited:
Mick - looks like a great success for your "struggle"! Fantastic work! You've made it look easy...but alas I know its not. Good work!

Thanks Mr Foose wish i could find route building just as easy lol.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

You are absolutely right, the mapping is still a catastrophe, still a work in process

Das geht runter wie Oel :) How to translate this idiom to English?

It's purely ornamental. Static demands only one diagonal at each corner in opposite direction.

Mick!

I have spent so much time researching masonry for some laser cut projects, that it hit my eye like a flash. But now I am not worried any more. :) Precisely my thoughts about the supporting timbers, if it was not brick built there could be some sense to it, but in this case I think the mason was swearing all the way through the project.
As for the idiom, as a Dane I would go for ØL rather than ÖL heheheheh

A generic Traffic Bollard modelled after the T-Top style (without the T-Top lol)

Can also be used elsewhere as demonstrated.

[...]the supporting timbers[...]

Don't get it wrong, but in a half-timbered consruction the timber is not the supporting construction part but the one which carries all alone. What is filled between the timbers (bricks, straw, boards etc.) doesn't carry anything at all...

Here some corrections at the cost of some polygons:

Mick!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I am re working my coaches and the looks of them. Making elaborate 19th century ivy textures can be difficult haha.

825518cad9db6ee49ee77f22ce8475c3.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

Yard Tower that sit's at one end of the yard in Paducah Kentucky not even sure what that yard is called actually as CSX/UP/CN/NS and PAL all use it but this is as close as i could get it.
0e3af1cdd656d3d7a422f7a52bb30b36.jpg

Cheers Mick.

Thanks David they are all done mate pity my route building around these item's did not look as good man i hate route building with a passion.
Cheers Mick.

Yard Tower that sit's at one end of the yard in Paducah Kentucky not even sure what that yard is called actually as CSX/UP/CN/NS and PAL all use it but this is as close as i could get it.
Cheers Mick.

You're on a roll, Mick! Hope we keep seeing more great stuff!

You're on a roll, Mick! Hope we keep seeing more great stuff!

LOL Thanks Mr Foose i just wish my route building skills for the route this all belongs on was on a roll mate, Soon as i get home this weekend i'll throw all this up on our site.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Thanks David they are all done mate pity my route building around these item's did not look as good man i hate route building with a passion.
Cheers Mick.
Reckon the hardest thing to get right is the scenery side... something i worked on this evening:

Cheers
David

Don't get it wrong, but in a half-timbered consruction the timber is not the supporting construction part but the one which carries all alone. What is filled between the timbers (bricks, straw, boards etc.) doesn't carry anything at all...

Here some corrections at the cost of some polygons:

Mick!

Bærende stolper, difficult to translate Danish building terms into something meaningful in English. Agree as far as straw, clay etc goes. Bricks are a somewhat different media. (see http://www.danskbyggeskik.dk/dictionary/Danskbygningsudtryk.pdf pp 15-17 and 35)

Speaking of bricks, have you found any textures or built-in features which match real brick laying? I mean, the available textures are supposed to be seamless, which is fine for blank walls, but once you start adding doors, windows and indeed timbers every thing stop adding up. In my experience this is the case for all except running bond. The magic word is "quarter brick"

Bærende stolper, difficult to translate Danish building terms into something meaningful in English. Agree as far as straw, clay etc goes. Bricks are a somewhat different media. (see http://www.danskbyggeskik.dk/dictionary/Danskbygningsudtryk.pdf pp 15-17 and 35)

That bricks also serve to support the static is out of question. As far as I know are half timbered building always build in almost the same way. The timber construction is raised first and then the gaps are filled. Means the timber doesn't need any support. That the gap material has also it's additional part is naturally out of discussion :)

Speaking of bricks, have you found any textures or built-in features which match real brick laying? I mean, the available textures are supposed to be seamless, which is fine for blank walls, but once you start adding doors, windows and indeed timbers every thing stop adding up. In my experience this is the case for all except running bond. The magic word is "quarter brick"

If I build houses, I always do some simple math first. Starting from the given diffuse texture I determine the size of the bricks. Then I make a precise drawing (2D with AutoSketch) where every part fits to the given texture, even I have to stretch the original sizes here and there. Every length and hight will be a multiple of the brick texture. For special cases I do a lot handwork to create special maps.

Mostly I use the old 'Reichsformat' (0.24 x 0.115 x 0.063 meters) plus 0.01 meters for the joint. As you can see, this causes a lot of work for the mapping process but it pays off as you might see here

Mick!

That bricks also serve to support the static is out of question. As far as I know are half timbered building always build in almost the same way. The timber construction is raised first and then the gaps are filled. Means the timber doesn't need any support. That the gap material has also it's additional part is naturally out of discussion :)

If I build houses, I always do some simple math first. Starting from the given diffuse texture I determine the size of the bricks. Then I make a precise drawing (2D with AutoSketch) where every part fits to the given texture, even I have to stretch the original sizes here and there. Every length and hight will be a multiple of the brick texture. For special cases I do a lot handwork to create special maps.

Mostly I use the old 'Reichsformat' (0.24 x 0.115 x 0.063 meters) plus 0.01 meters for the joint. As you can see, this causes a lot of work for the mapping process but it pays off as you might see here

Mick!

Absolutely out of the question :p

The Reichsformat is very close to the Danish standard 24 x 12 x 20 cm (three shifts vertical) grout being appx 1 cm, but INCLUDED in the measurement. I see your point about calculating and stretching a little, however, it is problematic from a Danish perspective as the running bond is somewhat rare, block and cross bond are the most widespread types and in older houses you find the "munke" (Mönch) bond.

This housing block from Kalundborg is built with cross bond which caused a lot of headaches mapping the space between the smaller windows. The solution was to split the section down the middle and mirror the texture, using the seam as baseline. Luckily the downspout sat on top covering any irregularities.

12657795_1025749524134212_2051677096829274823_o.jpg

Back