Club Car Members - NEW BETA 9/18/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The program reached "Communicating with the Trainz Database [...]"

You aren't the first one with that issue. It shouldn't take more then a few minutes to see a response. Its mostly with the 10 builds. We are trying to figure out how to fix it atm.
Thanks for the input.

Sean

Last edited:
3. Download Manager - This will require the user to enter his/her site login details and retrieve a list of purchased items from our database. The user will then be able to select and install products from the list. This is the only version that will require any kind of user information (just like the site does) and also the only version that will contact JR over the internet to get any content. This version is still in the early planning stages and is still some time out.

Thanks, this clarifies how things are going to progress for the most part. I still would like to know, though: Is (3), the Download Manager version, ultimately going to be the ONLY way to purchase or install JR content, or will content still be available by individual installer (i.e. version 1 or 2) in the distant future?

ETA: Nobody's saying JR intends to abandon or forget about anybody. Nor, I am sure, did Walmart, Amazon, Microsoft, and many other producers and distributors of digital goods intend to leave their customers behind. But, it happens. A lot. Whether intended or not. So, please understand that I'm conducting due diligence by asking ahead of time.

Last edited:
Thanks, this clarifies how things are going to progress for the most part. I still would like to know, though: Is (3), the Download Manager version, ultimately going to be the ONLY way to purchase or install JR content, or will content still be available by individual installer (i.e. version 1 or 2) in the distant future?

The Download Manager will simply be an alternative, freely available on the site and will NOT be required to install JR products. It is intended to give each user a central location to view and install past purchases. 1 will be the standard product distribution should things work out. 2 will be used to apply needed updates to items.

ETA: Nobody's saying JR intends to abandon or forget about anybody. Nor, I am sure, did Walmart, Amazon, Microsoft, and many other producers and distributors of digital goods intend to leave their customers behind. But, it happens. A lot. Whether intended or not. So, please understand that I'm conducting due diligence by asking ahead of time.

Understandable, but there is a difference between being left behind and refusing the move ahead. We will not purposely leave anyone out, as with the evolution of the Trainz series, that will be their choice.

Unlike the Big Guys mentioned above, YOUR opinion is important to us. We want to be able to make the majority of our users happy. If this isn't something that you like or care to use then I will make sure those folks are taken care even if it means sending those folks the files individually. It's my job to make sure you're happy with what we're doing, and I'll make sure that happens. If we have to do it the old fashioned way to keep you as a customer, then so be it.

Thanks!

Mike

Cool, guys, thanks for the clarification. And that's one of the thing I appreciate so much about JointedRail - that you DO care and are so good to your customers! :)

P.S. Off to beta-land! hehe! :)

I had no issues getting the content into Trainz. The installer looks nice with the picture of the cars, so it makes the download a bit better in itself. I've used other games where downloads come like this so it's nothing new to me, and I personally think it's a pretty good idea.

But I'll be fine with whatever way is chosen. Thanks Jointed Rail for letting us try out this beta for you, and looking forward to helping you guys more in the future.

Scott

Guys,

Once again i'm getting "Retrieving Trainz Version Number" and it just stays there and doesn't go any further. I'm having to choose the path of the TS12 install, then it just sits. I need some suggestions!!

-David

Guys,
Once again i'm getting "Retrieving Trainz Version Number" and it just stays there and doesn't go any further. I'm having to choose the path of the TS12 install, then it just sits. I need some suggestions!!

For some people the installer is having issues communicating with the content manager. We are currently fixing this problem and will reissue the .exe. What is the version number of your trainz installation?

Sean

When I installed the .exe file I did not have content manager open. After reading some of the problem some people are having I just wanted to make sure people know that they sould close content manager before installing the .exe file.

Jeff

Whoa! My apologies if I am missing something, but, I don't have the internet on my gaming computer that I run Trainz on. Does this new .exe installer mean that I won't be able to purchase future content? I really hope not! I was/am really looking forward to the upcoming content. Please tell me there are some options. I would really appreciate files being individually sent even if that costs a few more bucks.

Regards.

Last edited:
Whoa! My apologies if I am missing something, but, I don't have the internet on my gaming computer that I run Trainz on. Does this new .exe installer mean that I won't be able to purchase future content? I really hope not! I was/am really looking forward to the upcoming content. Please tell me there are some options.

The installer does not require internet connection to install. You can transfer it via jump drive, cd, floppy disc, beta max, or any other method and it should still work. :)

Sean

Whoa! My apologies if I am missing something, but, I don't have the internet on my gaming computer that I run Trainz on. Does this new .exe installer mean that I won't be able to purchase future content? I really hope not! I was/am really looking forward to the upcoming content. Please tell me there are some options. I would really appreciate files being individually sent even if that costs a few more bucks.

Regards.

No, you should be fine. The internet-enabled download manager is going to be an option, in addition to the non-internet installers.

Edit: Sean beat me to it.

When I installed the .exe file I did not have content manager open. After reading some of the problem some people are having I just wanted to make sure people know that they sould close content manager before installing the .exe file.

Jeff

I tried again with everything closed and had the same problem. It's asking me for the directory of the Trainz install. I'm choosing the path that leads to ....nv3games/ts12.

David

I tried again with everything closed and had the same problem. It's asking me for the directory of the Trainz install. I'm choosing the path that leads to ....nv3games/ts12.

Thats the right path...
It sounds like the program is having problems contacting the file. Since its on the C: drive it might need permission. Try to run it as administrator if possible.

FWIW, I just installed both betas and they worked as advertised.......a job well done guys !!!

DaveL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back