Anyone running Intel Arc GPU's? (Horrid FPS, New Pc)

MAGLEVSX

Hello,

I built A new PC, specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel I7-14700
GPU: Inter Arc A770
Ram: 32Gig DDR4 Ram
MOBO: B760M Project Zero
SSD's only

Wouldn't call it low range by any means.

I copied the Trainz Program file from my old HDD to the new SSD (just copied into some random folder) and booted up trainz, didn't think it would actually load lol, but even with the settings backed down to high from ultra (1080P) the game is %95 unplayable like 3 FPS maybe? Like i could do 13 FPS that's fine but surely this is not the result? my old pc with far less specs than this from 2013 Ran better than this.

Im aware there was concerns about running older games on the ARC cards, and I havent installed the latest driver that has just come out but will shortly, only thing I can think is there some compatability problem as I copied the install off the old pc without actually installing conventionally, I tried to download it properly off the web last night but it was going to take 5 days, yes 5 days just to load a fresh install off the net.

Please tell me all about how I shouldn't have brought the intel card, but someones gotta take one for the team lol.

Thanks.

It has a 3d score of 10,000 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php so it should work reasonably well. For comparison an RTX 3050 has a score of 12,845 and I normally think in terms of an RTX 3060 as the lowest I'd like to use which has a score of 15-17,000.

It should have 16 gigs of memory which works well for some games but 8 gigs seems fine for trainz.

Try setting the sliders back to the left in particular the distance slider.

It could just be the assets you're trying to run. Pick up Middleton for laptops and see how it performs. https://www.jatws.org/johnw/middleton.zip will get you most of the assets need but you'll still need Middleton from the DLS.

Have a look a task manager when running trainz, my suspicion is your CPU will be running below 50%, a n RTX 3060 can normally be fed with an i5 rather than an i7 so you might have done better with an i5 and an RTX 3060.

In general have a look at Dell configurations, they're quite good at matching CPU and GPU for the optimum performance per dollar.

Cheerio John

I've not seen bad reviews of the A770 when playing games. The early drivers had some issues but the newest one seems to be performing well. N3V does make use of a lot of Nvidia code for some items like clutter effects but they are trying to move away from that practice in the last beta of Trainz Plus.

Last edited:
I'd install the latest driver for your GPU and recheck the results, since you mentioned not having the newer drivers.

Reinstalled trainz properly + new GPU drivers still poor frame rate, turned off "process objects behind camera" and Vsync the frame rate has picked up but seems to struggle when alot of different objects are on the screen, the stutter seems very incremental like the camera will move ok for a bit then stop then ok then stop etc.

I see on this other thread here about swapping out a DLL file is this something I should look at?

Last edited:
Back