american drivers in engine cab

"Perhaps that would satisfy the opening poster" : Why putting extra salt in the wound , i've made my apologies for my behaviour .

My posting was in no way related to anything you may have posted.
Cannot state more my train is on approach to my destination station.

Bill

Yes i'm sorry , i'm bad in communication .
I wil leave for a while the forum , it brings me on the moment in to much trouble .

Hi everybody.
Could somebody please explain to me exactly what an American railroad driver is suppose to looks like. The opening poster described an american as someone who would be wearing a baseball cap or such like article of clothing. However, does the op not realise that baseball caps and other such similar head gear is warn extensively in European countries as it is on many other continents as well.

If my visits to the united states and reading serve me correctly then the american nation of today is made up of descendants of many of the original ethnic immigrants who came from countries all over the world, which is being added to further by continued ongoing immigration.

In the forgoing, each group has brought and continues to bring its own culture to the shores of the united states and in that has brought forward the rich mix of individuals that you see in all parts united states today. The forgoing situation is mirrored in many other countries of the world and especially Europe.

Therefore, as much as their is no pro-typical American or American locomotive engineer, so their is no pro-typical English, French, Italian or German individual or rail driver.

However, perhaps those who have the greatest claim to being true Americans would be the ethnic Indian tribes who where already on the continent when the first European settlers arrived. So, perhaps if an American engineer is required in the cab for Trainz, then that individual should be a member of an ethnic tribe such as the Sioux, in full traditional costume including headdress. Perhaps that would satisfy the opening poster

Bill.
Americans don't wear an orange suit coat & a tie !

Bill,

I suspect you are reading a bit much into the original request. I suspect the OP is referring to clothing, not race - we don't have many loco drivers here in the US that wear bright orange jumpsuits. Though to be honest, I'm not sure what the dashing engineer wears here now-a-days :)

edit: What cascaderailroad said ;-)

Curtis

They may wear khaki's and a casual shirt ... but for the most part wear denim, or a drab colored RR coveralls ... possibly a Company required reflective safety

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Could somebody please explain to me exactly what an American railroad driver is suppose to looks like. The opening poster described an american as someone who would be wearing a baseball cap or such like article of clothing. However, does the op not realise that baseball caps and other such similar head gear is warn extensively in European countries as it is on many other continents as well.

If my visits to the united states and reading serve me correctly then the american nation of today is made up of descendants of many of the original ethnic immigrants who came from countries all over the world, which is being added to further by continued ongoing immigration.

In the forgoing, each group has brought and continues to bring its own culture to the shores of the united states and in that has brought forward the rich mix of individuals that you see in all parts united states today. The forgoing situation is mirrored in many other countries of the world and especially Europe.

Therefore, as much as their is no pro-typical American or American locomotive engineer, so their is no pro-typical English, French, Italian or German individual or rail driver.

However, perhaps those who have the greatest claim to being true Americans would be the ethnic Indian tribes who where already on the continent when the first European settlers arrived. So, perhaps if an American engineer is required in the cab for Trainz, then that individual should be a member of an ethnic tribe such as the Sioux, in full traditional costume including headdress. Perhaps that would satisfy the opening poster

Bill.
Posted from the 7:55pm Plymouth to Bristol Temple Meads First Great Western hst sevice, very crowded and running 12 minutes late.

I do believe the OP wants a generic white-tee shirt and blue overalls with white stripes and an engineer's hat that is blue and has white stripes.

Bill,

Though to be honest, I'm not sure what the dashing engineer wears here now-a-days :)

Curtis
It really depends on the railroad. I'm not sure but only except for a few. I know when I see UP crews, they are dressed just like we are, casually. They do wear the highly reflective vest while out of the train and sometimes on board. I've seen a few dressed in denim overalls as well. I've seen a intresting number of them carrying beards as well. Of course I see quite a few wearing ball caps, but actually I've seen more that don't. Not all engineers are old like people think, I've seen several young ones, and I've seen many young conductors. They come in many different sizes as well. I've seen skinny crews, fat crews, and somewhere in between crews. I personally think trainz needs to make a wave driver command, and give it two styles, one where the engineer/conductor just waves, or where the engineer/conductor opens the window, and then waves. Or there could just be a magic key we could hit (You know us people who make videos, we're always looking for a way to make it more real) and they would do as such.

Last edited:
Could somebody please explain to me exactly what an American railroad driver is suppose to looks like.

Yes. Nothing like the driver model that gets inserted into the trainz cab in the game for most default driver characters, thus the desire for a different model.

Hi everybody.
Many thanks to all members will have replied to my request regarding how an American rail Road driver should look. I believe ezol1 posting undoubtedly well sums up the style of dress which has not many similarities to the clothing in Britain and the rest of Europe.

Of course European railways are much more orientated towards passenger movement as against freight in the United States. Therefore, the network train crews are always smartly dressed in airline style uniforms including the driver. That said, the drivers are very often seen in the cabs wearing just the uniform trousers and blue or white button up shirt depending on company colour. When out of the cab the drivers always wear high visibility vests which is a standard safety regulation for any employee who may have to access the track.

Servicing drivers (those who take the consists for refuelling, washing, internal cleaning and checking at terminal stations) always wear full overall reflective garments normally two-piece along with safety shoes, gloves and at times safety glasses when H&S regulations state as such. These garments are known as PPEs (personal protective equipment) and have to be supplied free of charge to the employee under British and European H&S legislation.

Servicing engineers known as vehicle technicians some of whom are also qualified to drive DMU’s and power cars in the vicinity of the servicing areas always wear one-piece high reflective garments known as boiler suits in Britain, along with other “barrier garments” which would include high-grade footwear, gloves and hardhats as needed or regulated.

All the above stated, you very often see on British stations servicing drivers and servicing engineers running around in all sorts of headgear including baseball caps but I believe that is only while they are moving between consists and power cars.

Others than the above the make-up of a British or any European country railway driver will be very similar to how enzo1 so well described American drivers. They are very often young, well qualified (in the case of vehicle technicians highly qualified) and on good pay. They come in all sizes, tall, short, stout, thin and of varying skin tones depending on ethnic grouping.

With the foregoing in mind I would certainly accept that there is undoubtedly a difference between American and European railway drivers in terms of dress based on postings by American forum members in this thread. That said, the drivers we have in trainz do not represent well the modern day British or European driver.

Therefore, perhaps we should just accept what we have and carry on building content and routes with what we have in the way of drivers. I cannot see it being a priority change in T:ane with all the bugs they have to get out of the software before the release date.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Train 20,
I understood you question perfectly, You want a figure in you train cab that looks like an American train engineer. not that french guy lolol. I don't blame you lol.
Yes willie the gimp is the guy you want. As far as you question being raciest in any way? Don't let the trolls bother you, there is always someone trying to stir the pot. Good Luck.

There are four on the DLS by dricketts:

G Stuckey,<kuid:135229:100196>
JT Reynolds,<kuid:135229:100201>
L Simpson,<kuid:135229:100192>
S Witten,<kuid:135229:100199>

How does one go about putting one of these drivers in a loco?

I believe all drivers use Alistair as a main mesh

There are several ways:

Reskin Alistair with another driver image
Disable Alistair (some way) I left him "Open for Edit"

You assign as many drivers in Surveyor "Edit Session"

While the animation of the Auran conductor who shovels coal in some locos is pretty good ... his spiffy Auran logo hat, and tighty wedjie in the the crack jeans, and leather bib, just seems out of place on a US route (I his pants have no back pockets, so they must be girly pants).

Last edited:
Back