I really hope that one day the error would be fixed with the screenshots

You are not alone in that. There have been problems with the Trainz Gallery since just before Christmas 2023. N3V are aware of the problem(s) as bug reports have been posted (at least by myself and possibly a few others).

If the problems are significant (always a possibility) then it may take a major upgrade such as the one that recently occurred in these forums to solve. Meanwhile, life goes on!

There are lots of free image hosting sites on the web. You must remember that the Trainz Gallery is a non-revenue producing function that costs N3V money to offer to users. Storage space on servers cost money, data transfer to and from the server cost money. The gaming industry is going through hard times right now. The boom in business from lockdowns has faded as people have stopped working from home and it is having an impact on game development companies. Lots of programmers and artists are being laid off and some companies are closing down entirely. I expect that the development team focus has already moved to TRS25 and they are quite busy. The sooner they get that out the door, the better for the bottom line.

I suspect at this point the issue is database related and that can be very difficult if not impossible to repair. MySQL simply isn't a robust application capable of holding hundreds of thousands of records. If they don't have a backup and I would be surprised if they did sometimes the only option is to flush the database clean and start again.

There are lots of free image hosting sites on the web. You must remember that the Trainz Gallery is a non-revenue producing function that costs N3V money to offer to users. Storage space on servers cost money, data transfer to and from the server cost money. The gaming industry is going through hard times right now. The boom in business from lockdowns has faded as people have stopped working from home and it is having an impact on game development companies. Lots of programmers and artists are being laid off and some companies are closing down entirely. I expect that the development team focus has already moved to TRS25 and they are quite busy. The sooner they get that out the door, the better for the bottom line.

I suspect at this point the issue is database related and that can be very difficult if not impossible to repair. MySQL simply isn't a robust application capable of holding hundreds of thousands of records. If they don't have a backup and I would be surprised if they did sometimes the only option is to flush the database clean and start again.
If that is the problem with the Gallery, I'd hope NV3 would have the decency to at least acknowledge there's a problem. One easier remedy than NV3 having to pay extra to hold all those screenshots in the Gallery that just sit there and accumulate, would be for NV3 to delete all the screenshots in the Gallery after hosting them for a couple weeks. Problem solved.

Last edited:
OK, background: I made a fair living writing SQL code for some years. To me, it looks like the indices (indexes) are broken, so only the primary search (which isn't really a search, only a list report) by record number functions, the other searches fall out to the error screen (the splash page). There are a number of ways this could happen, one of the more common being that the number of records exceeds the maximum value for the field designated to contain it. Another is that the indices have become corrupted (for example, something crashed during an update). I theorize that the queries and database were a contract job and the company needs to hire another contractor to untangle the mess without dumping the database, having thought they could handle it in-house (a frequent management assumption which is often proven incorrect). Failure to update user preferences such as favorites, likes, and following suggest that while those side databases can be read (unlike the indices), they can't be updated. They may share uncorrupted indices into the main database (posted by, for example).

The whole situation suggests (really blue-skying here) a failed upgrade attempt, either of the database operating system, the database itself, or the hardware it's running on. In a case like that, if no fallback has been planned, the existence of backups may not help. "Just an update" has been the death knell of many; we should be happy to at least have the images saved, but re-indexing them and re-writing the SQL is an expense management was not expecting.

Leaving aside the issue of uploading screenshots via the fast route (which is happening now) or via the indirect route (which still works) I see another problem here and I must agree with JimDep and RobertManley ...
I very rarely enter the Gallery and even less do I upload my own captures ... I only do it exceptionally when I really, really really liked one. And 99% of my shots remain inside my Trainz, it is not mandatory to upload them, on the other hand.
I don't understand the compulsion or apparent need to upload absolutely everything that some people do - without stopping to see if it's pretty or not, if it's very repetitive, or things like that ... let's call it self-criticism.
Frankly, I don't like going in to see and find 5 or 6 shots in a row - almost the same - that were uploaded simply because it's free and there is no established limit or rule or because my son thought of uploading everything he did that afternoon ..
I think the price is being paid for that freedom. Say, for example: "You can upload 5 photos per week." In that case, you simply manage your quota rationally... or wait for next week.
My thought.

Leaving aside the issue of uploading screenshots via the fast route (which is happening now) or via the indirect route (which still works) I see another problem here and I must agree with JimDep and RobertManley ...
I very rarely enter the Gallery and even less do I upload my own captures ... I only do it exceptionally when I really, really really liked one. And 99% of my shots remain inside my Trainz, it is not mandatory to upload them, on the other hand.
I don't understand the compulsion or apparent need to upload absolutely everything that some people do - without stopping to see if it's pretty or not, if it's very repetitive, or things like that ... let's call it self-criticism.
Frankly, I don't like going in to see and find 5 or 6 shots in a row - almost the same - that were uploaded simply because it's free and there is no established limit or rule or because my son thought of uploading everything he did that afternoon ..
I think the price is being paid for that freedom. Say, for example: "You can upload 5 photos per week." In that case, you simply manage your quota rationally... or wait for next week.
My thought.
I sure agree with you on that. Especially all that Thomas stuff , without pointing fingers, would be shot after shot of almost the same thing . It made no sense to me and annoying to go page after page of seeing the same thing.
I've suggested before that limits be put on how many screenshots a person can upload to the Gallery per day. I use the in game system of uploading to share ideas on how to put scenes together, looking for group participation. Most people, like myself who use the Gallery upload less than 10 shots a day, but some people abuse it and keep uploading like their finger was stuck on the upload button.
Two things can be done to help. They can put a limit the amount of screen shots per day and delete all of them in the Gallery every 2 weeks. If people want to save them permanently then they can use their own storage methods.

Slight change of subject:
People have different reasons for using the Gallery, and I get it...usually. I like the in game upload because they are straight from the game itself without getting photo shopped, which I think would be fairer to use in the screen shop competition thread. It should be a Trainz in game screenshot competition , not a photo shop competition. ... but I digress getting a little off topic.
HEY NV3.......what's happening with the Gallery ?

Why would N3V be reluctant to limit the number of screenshots per a period of time?
There would have to be another sub-database to keep track, and they don't have full control of the primary DB at the moment. First things first!

There would have to be another sub-database to keep track, and they don't have full control of the primary DB at the moment. First things first!
They don't have control enough to delete screenshots on their own forum ?

They don't have control enough to delete screenshots on their own forum ?
Think about what the report supporting the rule would have to look like: list records where date posted = today by author where count >5, and their query system currently can't index by author. (Though, interestingly, the query by previously-established "following" thread by logged-in userid is still working.)

The issue with automatically deleting screenshots is that it would mean many old threads where the screenshots were used for educational illustrations would be missing those screenshots.

The issue with automatically deleting screenshots is that it would mean many old threads where the screenshots were used for educational illustrations would be missing those screenshots.
I have experience that with an external image hosting service. The service went from free to subscription only and any existing users who did not subscribe had all their images deleted. So all my images that were posted in these forums also vanished. That would be a risk with any external hosting service, free or not.

I have experience that with an external image hosting service. The service went from free to subscription only and any existing users who did not subscribe had all their images deleted. So all my images that were posted in these forums also vanished. That would be a risk with any external hosting service, free or not.
A few years back, that happened to me too.

OK, so because we transfer the screenshot link from the Gallery to the screenshot forum, if that screen shot in the Gallery gets deleted , then that screenshot in the forum will be deleted too. That would be a problem.
Well, so much for the ingame screenshot to Gallery upload feature from the software.

Does NV3 have control over how many screenshots by one person every .....say 24 hours ...that can be uploaded to the Gallery ? On many occasions, the Gallery will be hogged by one person ( and sometimes just about the same screenshot over and over (with the stuck finger upload addictions )......and that's all you get to see.

HEY NV3........it would be nice to hear from you. How's the wife and kids ?

Last edited:
Back