Escanaba and Lake Superior in the North Woods

OK, cool. I'm sure nobody probably cares about this but those hoppers did not originate with the DMIR - they are either ex-GN or NP cars - I think GN. And the DMIR hoppers have two chutes instead of one. If you guys don't care about that - which I assume you don't - then I'll skin you some.

Heck no man....Skin away with some ELS markings..... :Y:

Appreciate it

The Crivitz to Channing train gets on its way....Lead by the 500 SD40-2 and the SD9 1220

We race it to the overpass at Smith Creek Rd....Looks as though more ballast is needed up around the Pembine area as it will set out the cars there on the siding

Here at Wausaukee we catch him making his way thru town

Up in Pembine we got a lot of action going on....We got the 3 SD9's that will take the ballast cars from the train from Green Bay and work around the area where then the 500 will continue on its way north to Channing....Then we also have the ILSX SD40-2's up at the north end of Pembine with some empty ballast cars which will go south back to Crivitz and grab the cars for Green Bay and head south to Green Bay

Here the SD9's back into the siding to wait for the 500 to clear to wait for the loaded ballast cars

The SD9's will sit in the yard here at Pembine till a crew comes on and works on laying new ballast around the yard and points beyond that

With the crew on board....The train heads south for Crivitz

On the way home from up in Pembine....We get to Coleman and heard the scanner going crazy with emergency chatter...We were wondering what the heck was going on here....So we veered off the hwy and took a spin into town to see what the scoop was.....

Here it was a car accident on which who knows how it ended up to something like this

We race it to the overpass at Smith Creek Rd....Looks as though more ballast is needed up around the Pembine area as it will set out the cars there on the siding

Seems familiar enough... Was there just last week...

8373562279_391037ac23_c.jpg

8373560063_3228dfa22f_b.jpg

Seems familiar enough... Was there just last week...

I was there about a month ago but didnt catch a train but took some pix.....But couldnt find them now at the time when I was working on this area so I kinda went off yours and Jims pix.....

Nice catch there Steve

Heat waves and exhaust rise from the turbocharged exhaust stacks as the locomotives of train #911 accelerate away from a mandatory stop at the Escanaba and Lake Superior crossing here at Pembine.....The signal standards seen here are train order signals....Lighter density lines did not require the installation of home signals at railroad crossings and regardless of its main line status the east-west Soo protected its trains by placing and observing standard highway stop signs on either side of the diamond.....Prior to 1980 when the line was sold to the E&LS the other railroad in Pembine was the Milwaukee Road specifically that the roads trackage from Green Bay north thru Pembine to Channing and then beyond to Champion and Ontonagon...It was the Milwaukees line to Champion and a connection with the South Shore that hosted the interline Copper Country Limited which ran from Chicago to Calumet...This train eventually became the last advertised passenger service offered by the SOO....The Milwaukee line thru Pembine was also one of the last stands for their fleet of EMD freight cab units, these diesels lasted right up to the sale of the trackage to the E&LS

On this early morning at Oconto Falls we see an ELS crew that was busy today switching out loads for empties at the mill.....Today they took a few cars and pulled them to the small yard in town where the Crivitz to Green Bay train will come to town with there power and come and grab these cars and take them to Green Bay

Pulling the loads out from the mill

Spotting the loads in the yard

Breaking for a quick breakfast at good ol Subway before heading back to the mill to load more cars

Not much going on up in Crivitz today...Yard looks pretty empty...Only thing thats plugging it up is the ballast cars on the other end

The Crivitz to Channing train leaves the yard and pulls its train north as it starts out for Channing

Only train left in the yard is the loaded ballast train which will be leaving Crivitz to work north in about an hour or so

So now we got 2 trains headed south, and 1 going north....The 2 that went south are for Green Bay as one was the Crivitz to Green Bay turn and then also went south was the empty ballast train that will get turned over to the CN

Last edited:
ELS 402 heading for Oconto Falls with a cut of empty hoppers, a loaded centerbeam and 2 empty reefer cars

The Crivitz to Channing turn makes its way under Smith Creek Road with 3 of the SD9's

Back