Escanaba and Lake Superior in the North Woods

WCL

Canadian National
Time for another local route...This one is based in the Northeast side of Wisconsin and runs from Green Bay all the way north to Ontonagon Michigan and east over to Wells Michigan when it gets to Pembine.....And also has tracks out of Crivitz....Here is a map that shows where this route will be covered

Here to start it off we will start it out in Stiles Jct where a light snow is falling in the Machickanee Forest as an Escanaba and Lake Superior southbound freight rolls thru Stiles Jct. Power for todays SB is 2 of the SD9's....Train today has 39 loads and 9 empties. Empties were 3 LPG tanks from Crivitz, 3 tanks out of storage and 3 covered hoppers out of storage. Loads were 16 box car loads of OSB from Lou Pac in Sagola, 22 pulpwood loads and an unknown covered hopper load next to the power. CN has about 58 cars for their northbound run when they get into Green Bay

Looks cool. Make sure you get Channing in there and that wye. They do a lot of pulp wood loading in that yard.

Dan

Looks cool. Make sure you get Channing in there and that wye. They do a lot of pulp wood loading in that yard.

Dan

Oh yeah....It will be in there....It will be aways till I get up that far.....Lena will be my next town to cover.....I didnt know what season to cover it in and seeing that winter is to blah cause of all white and such....I decided to go with something like this.....Eventually I will swap everything out with ground textures to trees to ground coverage with more summer stuff down the road when after I get all this done....But as of now I will keep it as a end of fall, waiting for winter theme.....Crivitz will be an interesting area to model as thats like a half way point where a lot of these trains usually like to meet, the train from Marinette (the M&M Job that is) the southbound train from the north and the northbound train from the south all usually meet here and swap cars till they all depart in there directions.......This route should be pretty good as a lot of area will be covered and will be able to run a lot of nice small trains on it as they do in real life.....

Finally someone is modeling this railroad great job and great choice for a railroad to model:D

Yeah I hear ya on that.....This RR is only a few miles from my house and for ever I dont know why I never modeled this RR.....Its so easy to do as a lot of there stuff are bad rails so a lot of the areas wont have to be straight or perfectly done.....A lot of weeds are on this line as you can see some of the pix here I will share to get an idea on how this line really looks ( to some people that dont know what they really look like) There whole line is pretty much 25-30mph if that as it is pretty bad....A lot of the lines now are gone as the Marinette branch has over 100+ cars on it for storage as they dont run out that way no more...Stiles Jct's sidings are all plugged up with storage cars, Wausaukee has a crap load of cars, Pembine has a few cars and I know a few lines way up in Michigan have a lot of storage cars as well......So this line should be a fun one to model.....

All we need now are some of there power that I might have a few people working on already....The SD9's in that picture have to be all redone by a guy as all the markings of the ELS are all in different spots, the headlights on these locos dont work....

Here are some of the pix of just the Stiles Jct and Oconto Falls area.....And this has gotten a lot worse than in the pix now

Oconto Falls

This view here is looking to the cut off to the right where there are warehouses that serve out veggies and the track that goes straight is the lead to the feedmill

This view is looking at the small run-a-round track that they use to shuffle the cars around to shove up to the mill and warehouse

View of the siding

Stiles Jct

This is Stiles Jct looking north to Crivitz...The track on the right is the mainline of course and the track on the left is the connector to Oconto Falls....The RR xing up there is hwy 22 and there is only 1 track...The track where the boxcars are on is another storage track that has about 50+ cars on it to this day

Here is a view of the depot, this shot was taken when the depot actually had a roof....Now the roof is all caved in and the depot is pretty much shot....I will post a pic of what it looks like today

The connector track to go to Oconto Falls

The nice looking depot back in the day and this is looking south to Green Bay

This is the ling that goes west to Oconto Falls for about 8 miles

Last edited:
Here is what the depot looks like today

While I took this one here ....the NB from Green Bay was arriving to do some work

Last edited:
Wow, this looks great! Makes me want to try to recreate the Great Lakes Central that runs through my campus

Took a spin past Stiles Jct on the way home tonight.....Got skunked and not just once...But twice....1, no train and 2, they put up a sign on the depot now for RR fans....

Just like the ELS has done up in Wells Michigan

Today we took an early run up the ELS line...We wanted to get up to Crivitz to see what was running as we got word that the ELS has been borrowing a lot of different power lately.....We got as far as Coleman when we needed some gas but while we were there I guess the SB was already on its way thru...So while we were at the gas station this is what we saw....This is the daily Crivitz to Green Bay train that runs daily...It goes south to Green Bay in the early hours usually and then in the afternoon it makes its north bound run back to Crivitz

We then chased it to Lena

And then onto Stiles Jct where it will set out some cars for the Oconto Falls crew to pick up and take back with them to the Falls....But first the train must cut away from the cars for Oconto Falls at this RR Xing here or it will be blocking one of the main roads

With the cars safely in the siding for the Oconto Falls crew....The train backs down the mainline to grab its cars and then heads south for Green Bay

Some ELS locos....
cattypatty_20130101_0000.jpg

Very nicely done......I finally got the tracks laid up to Crivitz last night....The last tie in that yard went down at 4:24am this morning.....:hehe:

The Reason the E&LS hates railfans is simple. Some "Railfans" Stole parts off the last two RF-16 sharknoses back in the 80's. Now they are inside a shed there, hopefully maintained, as they have been confirmed to still exist back there as of 2010, but the owner doesn't want anyone to take parts off the units, because some dumb*** wanted to "preserve" it like the sharknoses.

They thankfully didn't manage to steal parts off of it. They were caught inside the carbody by the owner, trying to steal the cylinder head. And that is why noone has seen them in years. They are like Willy Wonka.

Southbound E&LS freight rolls slowly through Coleman and about 10 miles north of Lena, WI. It was lead by the 402 a GP38 and the 1223 an SD9....Train looked like 40 loads and 8 empties. 21 loads of OSB (20 bx car, 1 ctr beam) from LP in Sagola, MI, 20 pulpwood loads, an mt tank from LP, 4 mt covered hoppers and an mt tank....The tank next is probably for the waste oil track in the Howard Industrial Park.

Back