When a train and a landslide meet...

Landslides in Alaska often bring down 1500 foot mountainsides of rock, and block a road for a month or more, taking hundreds of workers, hundreds of hours working throughout the 24-7 hour staggered work shift, daylight midnight sun May-Sept.

That train looked like a frail little toy being swept away, by the Earth (BTW: Mayans Doomsday is approaching, then it's gone for another 3000 years, then it's all over).

I saw this on the news yesterday. I was blown away by it! I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it.

You can see the loose earth starting to sift down, a minute prior to the landslide.

Looks like the RR cut a shear bank right through soft earth, and must send inspection crews to survey hillsides for loose shifting soil.

The area just up the track a few hundered feet, looks just as equally in bad shape, ready for another landslide, come the next rain.

Deary Me! That's why it may not be the best idea to double stack, because it would of had more momentum when it went down.

If you look at the video at one point you can see a MOW unit on the track beside the derailed train. In fact it looks like part of the train derailed just in front of it.

Back