So you think you know about Trains? - Pt 2

last week's question said:
When did New Zealand’s first steam railway begin operation?
New Zealand’s first steam railway began operation in 1863.

This weeks question:
Which version of Trainz introduced interactive passenger stations?

The first version of Trainz to have interactive passenger stations was Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004 released in September 2003 which also introduced interactive industries and wagons

Which version of Trainz introduced interactive passenger stations?
Interactive passenger stations were introduced in Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004’s Service Pack 2 (also known as the “Passenger Pack”).

This weeks question:
In what year was the Lithgow Zig Zag railway bypassed by the ‘10 Tunnels Deviation’?

snip This weeks question: In what year was the Lithgow Zig Zag railway bypassed by the ‘10 Tunnels Deviation’?[/QUOTE said:
The Lithgow Zig Zag Railway was bypassed by tunnels in 1910.

Bill69

In what year was the Lithgow Zig Zag railway bypassed by the ‘10 Tunnels Deviation’?
The ‘10 Tunnels Deviation’, which bypassed the Lithgow Zig Zag railway, opened on the 16th of October 1910.

This weeks question:
What articulated locomotive design was Beyer, Peacock, and Company well known for producing?

What articulated locomotive design was Beyer, Peacock, and Company well known for producing?
The articulated locomotive design that Beyer, Peacock, and Company was well known for producing was the Garratt locomotive.

This weeks question:
Which locomotive in the USA is considered the smallest Standard Gauge pacific type steam locomotive in the world?

Which locomotive in the USA is considered the smallest Standard Gauge pacific type steam locomotive in the world?
The locomotive in the USA which is considered the smallest Standard Gauge ‘pacific’ type locomotive in the world is Little River Railroad #110, currently preserved operational in Coldwater, Michigan, USA.

This weeks question:
When was the first Duchess Class locomotive painted into the British Rail blue livery?

I have to comment on Little River #110:
The actual Little River Railroad was not in Michigan, but in Tennessee. The Little River Railroad was a logging railroad based in Townsend, Tennessee that hauled logs out of what would become the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The sawmill was located on, well, the Little River. Late in the railroad's life, they started hauling tourists because of the interest in the beauty of 'The Smokies'. After the Little River Railroad was abandoned, #110 was sold to the Smoky Mountains Railway, which ran from Knoxville to Sevierville. That railroad would also be abandoned. The reason why #110 is so small is because it had to handle the sharp curves found on the Little River Railroad. There is now a small railroad museum with a few pieces of equipment and a Shay located outside of Townsend.

My Answer

Welcome to the Trains Trivia of the Week thread.

This week's question:
When was the first Duchess Class locomotive painted into the British Rail blue livery?
I'm answering March 1946. BR 6234, the Duchess Of Abercorn was given a blue/grey scheme(assuming that would be referring to the BR Express Blue Scheme)

There were 27 locomotives painted BR Blue. The first two in May 1949.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
The BR blue livery first appeared on a Duchess/Coronation class locomotive in may 1949.

This weeks question:
For something slightly different, how much Horsepower is being shown in this image?
Image%20015a.jpg

As a broad guess, I'd say somewhere between 1.5 million and 2 million...:hehe: Although that may be a little on the low side.

Answer 1: None, they're not moving, or pulling anything, there for aren't using, or displaying, any power.

Answer 2: If you mean possible maximum horse Power, then theres 20 rows, with roughly 20 locos on each, except that there are at least 3 rows where you can't see all the locomotives..... So 20 x 20 x 3800 = 1,520,000. Subtract a few locos out of the shot edge and figure about 1.5 Mill. In which case Trainboi1 had the right of it.

Edit, although, recounting again to double check, Im coming up with 18 rows.... which would put it at 1,368,000. Subtract a few and say ball park 1.35 Mill.

Falcus

Last edited:
There are some lines in the back that seem to be missing a few locos. Then there are partial locos in view so should that be a factor? Plus its a TANE image so that probably doubles the available power. :hehe:

But I suspect its a trick question.

As I'm TANE (pre) beta tester, I wonder if it is a test scenario to try and break TANE. It seems likely.

Back