Any Trainzers in Sacramento or Nearby???

I don't supose Union City counts but there is a couple Trainzers in or near Tracy as I recall.

Last edited:
Oakland boy here

Live in San Jose now, born and raised in Oakland in time to see end of steam on the SP, also Alameda Belt Line, Key System trains - on Linden one block from my house on 45th Street, and Sacramento Northern.

What's cooking? A support group for Northern California train-nuts? :hehe: If so, I'm in.

bl4882

cab forward cab pics

hey cowboy

sent you all that i have already taken in the cab
but if you need more let me know exactly what you need and i'll go get them at the museum

thanks john

I'd sure love to go there, but seeing my condition, and distance from it, it's probably just a pipedream!:( Any you guys out there dream of pipes?:eek:

I need some pictures from the cab of this loco to finish it. Any other pictures that any of you in the vicinity may have would most likely come in handy. I bought the actual blue prints for the loco from this website. http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/id27.html It has been very interesting to study the plans in detail and I have made sure all the pieces and parts are within inches or the real thing. I think it will be my best model yet. The bogeys are about 90% done and the body mesh is probably about 90% done, but cab is the challenge as I had very few pictures to model from. John aka placer_railway has sent me quite a few shots.....thanks John... and I probably should be able to get the model finished from what I have, but any other pictures that anyone wants to send my way would be appreciated and if I use your pictures, you can have the model free when it is completed.

Last edited:
I need some pictures from the cab of this loco to finish it. Any other pictures that any of you in the vicinity may have would most likely come in handy. I bought the actual blue prints for the loco from this website. http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/id27.html It has been very interesting to study the plans in detail and I have made sure all the pieces and parts are within inches or the real thing. I think it will be my best model yet. The bogeys are about 90% done and the body mesh is probably about 90% done, but cab is the challenge as I had very few pictures to model from. John aka placer_railway has sent me quite a few shots.....thanks John... and I probably should be able to get the model finished from what I have, but any other pictures that anyone wants to send my way would be appreciated and if I use your pictures, you can have the model free when it is completed.

I think that loco is at the Sacramento Railroad Museum. I actually met the first engineer of the cab forward. He was retired in Roseville and was a german man. He had pics all over his garage. Of coarse i had to talk to him for liek 3 hours about Donner pass and all :)

4-8-8-2 at Calif rail museum

I was hoping the cab forward was what the Cowboy had in mind but thought it was too good to be true.

BTW, 4294 at the California Railroad Museum, http://www.csrmf.org/default.asp
is an AC-12 in pristine visual condition. I have seen railfan photos somewhere on the Internet with what appear to be non-museum staff people in the cab, though I've never asked to go in myself. It may be possible for someone there to get permission to take a few snapshots inside from the museum if they understand it is for a serious project. I'd do it but I can't travel right now.

bl4882

I have some pic's from the book Those Amazing Cab Forwards...
These are some pretty good pic's...
I will send via PM

Hope they help
smokeyjoe
Joe

I have actually been inside the cab of the cab forward about 8 months ago. It's normally open so you can go in and see the inside of the cab as long as a volunteer from the museum is their at the cab forward to watch over the people looking. If no volunteer is present they close it up but you can still look from the outside. Unfortunately the last time I was their the volunteer was leaving for a brake and no one was replacing him so they closed it up. All the pics I got were of the outside. Another bummer is the fact that the cab of the cab forward isn't complete. most all the controls are still in it but many gauges are missing. I remember seeing the cab forward sitting out back of the old SP loco works in Sacramento for many, many years before the museum got it. In that time SP salvaged many parts off it that can't be replaced.

Bill

What a pity

That truly is a pity, slave-driver. I've never been in the cab. But considering what The Cowboy did for the 9000s, I think we can all lick our chops and get ready to spring for the ol' leather once his interpretation of this loco is ready.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be cool to build a route where you could pose the AC-12 with this North Pacific Coast ng beautie?

Thanks to http://www.ironhorse129.com/Projects/Engines/NPC_21/NPC_No21.htm
a very neat site and good starting point for anyone interested in Northern California narrow gauge.

Hint, hint, hint. A selfish one, though.

bl4882

Back