Why use High Poly - Sketch Up ... instead of learnig GMax & Blender

cascaderailroad

Why use High Poly - Sketch Up ... instead of learnnig GMax & Blender

Seems that a rash of super High Poly assets are being created using Sketch Up.

These Super High Poly assets can adversely effect framerates in Trainz.

Personally I believe Sketch Up is for lazy people who don't want to learn how to create the real thing in a quality program, at low poly count ... and are taking the "Easy" way out !

Last edited:
I really like highly detailed assets. I actually do not download anything that is a small file size since I want maximum reality. Now, if the same level of quality can be achieved by other lower poly means that would be great. FPS are less an issue in my case than stutters caused by loading the stuff when the train is in motion.

e8600 DualCore 3ghz, nVidia 240gt 512mb, 8gb memory (1.3ghz), Windows 32bit

Personally I believe Sketch Up is for lazy people who don't want to learn how to create the real thing in a quality program, at low poly count ... and are taking the "Easy" way out !
Good heavens, why on earth take the easy way out. Oh wait a minute, because it's easy?

SketchUp can be used to create low poly models but most people want to pull things off Google Warehouse and claim they are "content creators".

I was looking thru DLS for a bakery and found one made from Google Warehouse and it was truly dreadful.

Harold

I also appreciate a well done high-detail asset, but I rarely saw a bunch of ill-conceived meshes as the ones taken from Google Warehouse: most of these "models" seem to have an inordinate numeber of polys just for the sake of it (400ft buildings made as boxes - 12 polys - with 2 ft chimneys made as 2,000 poly cylinders). LOD, of course is an unspeakably evil practice that should be avoided at all costs :( or - maybe - requires much more skill that simply using a conversion software :D). Last, but not least, textures much too often consist of images taken from Google Maps or Google StreetView: the first are especially awful.

I can only strongly agree with hminky:

...most people want to pull things off Google Warehouse and claim they are "content creators".

Exactly... I would like to see if these wannabe "content creators" are able to make the classic "brick box" :(.

Seems that a rash of super High Poly assets are being created using Sketch Up.

These Super High Poly assets can adversely effect framerates in Trainz.

Or possibly for the same reason as me. The same reason why I don't have a PhD in quantum physics. Lack of both time and skill.

Hmm, I said this before, it's not the question if you can model every crease and ornament, but how to do it within a reasonable amount of polys without losing the original impact of a piece of scenery. I am the last to say you can create a simple house with six polys, I've never done that, but you can have the same result as high poly scetchup meshes when you invest some time to learn what's needed and what can be omitted in a mesh.

It's easy, and free. Case dismissed (always wanted to say that)

jamie

Hmm, blender is free and easy too, if you know what you're doing. (that's what I allways say) :hehe:

Greetings from drizzly Amsterdam,

Jan

Seems that a rash of super High Poly assets are being created using Sketch Up. ... and are taking the "Easy" way out !
Amen to that. There should be a special category on the DLS for these wannabees. Not everyone has the time or skill to create, no shame it that, but don't pretend.

I don't hold with such snobbery! Not everyone is able to master G Max or Blender, but they still want to contribute to the community and the game as a whole. I probably couldn't master Ruby, which is why I do reskins, but those who port into Trainz objects from the Google Warehouse should not be made to feel as second class creators! What is the percentage of those that contribute at all? I, for one will not be holding my nose in the air at those who have figured out a way to bring new models into Trainz. I will select what I can use, and consider the ramifications if and when I decide to make a route. Yes, the models may be high poly, but perhaps you have only one instance of requiring it to be in your route.

All creators should be celebrated, no matter what tools they use.

Sometimes you need something quick 'n' dirty for a project: That's where 3dWarehouse comes in handy. Unfortunately, many people don't realize that many of these assets are high-poly and/or have insanely-oversized textures. The texture size is particularly problematic for many models, and many people don't realize how large they are because initially they are stored in JPG format. Also, I don't think a lot of 3DWwarehouse users realize that a lot of models have interiors. While I like that, and think such models can make for great easter eggs, models with interiors severely raise polycounts and can only be used very sparingly in a route if at all.

I don't hold with such snobbery! Not everyone is able to master G Max or Blender, but they still want to contribute to the community and the game as a whole. I probably couldn't master Ruby, which is why I do reskins, but those who port into Trainz objects from the Google Warehouse should not be made to feel as second class creators! What is the percentage of those that contribute at all? I, for one will not be holding my nose in the air at those who have figured out a way to bring new models into Trainz. I will select what I can use, and consider the ramifications if and when I decide to make a route. Yes, the models may be high poly, but perhaps you have only one instance of requiring it to be in your route.

All creators should be celebrated, no matter what tools they use.
"Pirating" items form Google Warehouse doesn't make you a "Content Creator", not even second class, you are just a "pirate".

Google SketchUp can be used to create good content but stealing it is really lame.

Harold

There's no "pirating" taking place.
The use of someone's model is "pirating". I know the advocates of this practice claim that it isn't because Google Warehouse is a grey area.

Placing it on DLS with your name is "pirating".

Harold

Men are a bit like Pirates: They use/borrow/steal/break others peoples stuff ... leave food crumbs, and beverage spills everywhere ... and track mud all about the house.

Being a Pirate is kinda' fun !
pirate2wn0.gif
pirate2do0.gif
piratewheelgo2.gif
Pirate4.gif
icon_psmiley12.gif
pirate6.gif
psmiley22.gif
12_1_138.gif
smiley4.gif

Last edited:
Section 11.1(c) specifically permits importation, redistribution, etc. It's not a gray area at all.
Putting Google Warehouse content on DLS isn't "Public" it is commercial.

Not acknowledging the original creator is "pirating".

Harold

Back