Warning - a possible scam.

ray_whiley

I've just seen a message at the top of my forums page telling me that I have a new message and asking me to click on a button.

As there are no new private messages indicated in the usual place, I suspect that this is a scam.

Be warned in case you see the same.

Ray

are you seeing this between the blue bar with user cp faq members list and the threads? yeah, definitly dont click that. And it probally a trojan

Thanks for the warning, Ray, I generally get quite excited if I get a PM these days and might click on the wrong button......:hehe:

Now, don't all send me a PM, I can only receive 2 more anyway, my box is full on purpose......:p

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Thanks Ray, for the warning. I haven't seen it, but I did get an E Mail from PayPall again, asking me to click "here" to provide additional information about my account. True story, second request!

This is the time of year for scams!

Everyone, watch out. I've received cyber alerts from some security forums I belong to. There are a ton of Black Friday/Black Monday scams going around.

You click on the link, and you're slammed with one of those many fake AV things going around these days. And sure enough. Today I fixed 5 machines which were all loaded with a similar variation on the same theme.

John

It was there just now.

As it appears to be coming through the officially accepted advertising banner can N3V not take action to either temporarily disable the banner or have strong words with the people who are paying them to host the advertising?

To the less savvy it could easily lead them into clicking on it and ending up with trouble.

While accepting advertising goes some way toward supporting the site, it is not right to have this type of thing in people's faces.

See this here. AdSense.

http://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...inz.com&adT=Trainz+Store&gl=US&rd=1&rd=2&rd=3

From Google apparently. They surf your cookies and use Double-Click to post advertisements based on where you've visited.

I haven't seen the one others have posted about, but instead something on GFI Software, which is an antivirus vendor - they own Sunbelt Software, which I visit often because I use this a/v product (highly recommended, by the way), and frequent their support site for other users.

John

Solution

Never click on ANYTHING you're not sure about, especially 'click here' things that you have not asked about nor anything offered for free that looks too good to be true - because it is...

Blessings and be safe,

Angela

Never click on ANYTHING you're not sure about, especially 'click here' things that you have not asked about nor anything offered for free that looks too good to be true - because it is...

Blessings and be safe,

Angela

The problem is this ad appears to be designed to mislead and could easily be mistaken for a change to the forum software.

I notice N3V/the Board admins have remained quiet on the issue so far, what are you doing about it please?

I got Ad-Blocker extensions for Chrome and Add-ons for Firefox. What white bar? I almost forgot it was there. :hehe:

Cheers,
Joshua

are you seeing this between the blue bar with user cp faq members list and the threads? yeah, definitly dont click that. And it probally a trojan

Yes, this is where it was.

As I don't get many PMs, I might have been taken in. I'm glad to have helped by giving the warning. I learned some time ago, too, not to click 'cancel' on an unknown message as that can cause problems too.

John - thanks for the AdSense link. I will definitely follow that one.

Ray

Back