Blender 2.6

srude

Greetings;

I created a simple cube in Blender 2.6, applied a 512 by 512 tga color then did an export and got nothing but a bunch of errors.

Doing a forum search, the best information I can get, relates to Blender 2.5, telling me to put the .py export file and the Trainz Mesh Importer into the I/O directory. That doesn't exist in Blender 2.6 Instead, one has to use the ADDON feature to load the scripts. I followed instructions but am unable to export into Trainz.

Blender 2.6 has some good features that I would like to use. I make content for TS2010.

I have no such problem with Blender 2.49.

What's up with that?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
srude

I've just moved from 2.49 to 2.6a (which now seems to have a usable, albeit slightly awkward, bevel function, which was the main reason why I've not gone to 2.5), and have no problems exporting to Trainz. My approach was to download the .zip version of Blender, not the windows installer, and just unzip it and run it from the Documents folder (I'm the only user of the program on this machine, and this approach avoids any possible Win7 folder permissions issues).

To install the exporter, simply place the export_trainz.py and TrainzMeshImporter.exe files in the scripts/addons folder. Start Blender, and enable the exporter (File- user preferences - addons, scroll down the list and tick the box to the right of the entry for Import-export: Trainz Exporter, then click 'save as default'). You should find that the exporter will work.

Any other errors are probably as a result of faces without materials or other modelling, material or texture issues, rather than system problems.

Hope this helps. If the above approach doesn't fix your problem, please post more details of the error messages.

R3

srude,

It sounds to me like you did not put the exporter and importer files in the right place. I followed the instructions at

<http://www.mickberg.com/blenderexport1.html>

and had not problem.

ns

Hey guys,

He said he's making contents for TS2010 not TS12.

Or... am I mistaking something like..... does the new exporters work for TS2010????

I know i set it up right but I too have a lot of errors. I am using the exporter I used to make 2010 contents. ver 0.94

rick

Hey guys,

He said he's making contents for TS2010 not TS12.

Or... am I mistaking something like..... does the new exporters work for TS2010????

I know i set it up right but I too have a lot of errors. I am using the exporter I used to make 2010 contents. ver 0.94

rick

There is no difference in Blender or the exporter /importer for TS2010 or TS12.

Cheerio John

srude,

It sounds to me like you did not put the exporter and importer files in the right place. I followed the instructions at

<http://www.mickberg.com/blenderexport1.html>

and had not problem.

ns
Well that's good to know!:D I just updated the tutorial but all I did was change "2.5x" to 2.6x".
Mick Berg.

One note about Blender 2.6: while it is common for the first digit after the decimal point in a version number to imply a more substantive change than the second number, that is, 2.54 to 2.55 is less significant than 2.5 to 2.6, in the case of Blender 2.6, this convention was not followed. Blender 2.6 is more properly thought of as the next minor revision after 2.59.

ns

Yes that is right.

I wrote the tutorial to take advantage of Torsten's exporter's ability to tell you where to put the TMI.exe file. You deliberately export an object with it not installed, and you get an error message in the exporter telling you where it needs to go.

In 2.61, both my exporter files are placed in Documents and Settings//Application Data/Blender Foundation/Blender/2.61/Scripts/Addons (!):eek:

Blender 2.61 is a major revision, although I don't know how many of the changes are relevant to Trainz use. Seems that 2.60 should have been numbered 2.59a, and 2.61 should have been 2.60.

Mick Berg.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck with blender 2.65?

I keep getting this error:

19:18:09 ----- Exporter for Trainz - start -----
19:18:09
19:18:09 SelectionMethod: visible
19:18:09 ExportMesh: True
19:18:09 ExportAnimation: False
19:18:09 ExportScaled: False
19:18:09 ScalingFactor: 0.3048
19:18:09 WriteLog: True
19:18:09 OnlyXML: False
19:18:09 ErrorCorrection: collect
19:18:09 ExportDiffuseAsAmbient: True
19:18:09 ExportMirrorAsEmit: False
19:18:09
19:18:09 collect and check exportable data
19:18:09 INFO: Object "Cylinder" will be exported with Double Sided Faces
19:18:09 ERROR: UV or Reflection Mapping needed for Material "Material", Textu
res(s) "Texture"
19:18:09 data collected and checked
19:18:09 INFO: Error(s) during data collection, export aborted.
19:18:09 ===== Exporter for Trainz = end ===== runtime 0:00:025

Thanks.

Geoffrey

The log is actually telling what the error is. In the texture tab, which is inside the Properties Window, there is a sub menu called Mapping. Just select UV.

The warning is just warning saying that your mesh has double sided faces. Generally you would want them to be single sided. Again in the Properties Window, select the Object Data tab which is the upside down triangle, and there is a checkbox for double sided or not.

I'm pretty sure these were in 2.49 as well. But maybe the defaults were different.

Later versions of Blender require addons, such as Torsten's exporter, to be "registered" before use and there is a special section at the start of the python file. You don't need to change that.

I put the exporter file and TMI.exe in my ...\appdata\roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.67\scripts\addons folder. It may work elsewhere but that is my preference.

Edit: note that the path above is to a 2.67 version. I generally have two or three versions installed in case there is a problem.

Back