Good old days complaint

H222

Hi guys

I don't mind if the Almighty Janitor locks this but I'm wondering why people were talking about 'the good old days' who were in the good old days, and the thread gets locked, because people are talking about 'the good old days'

Jamie

EDIT: I mean this thread http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=76712

Last edited:
The good old days I remember them well....as you get older like me they say the sillier you get .... so what I do remember travelling on steamers around Victoria not these you beaut fangle high sped trains today.... when you could stick your head out the window and get an eye full of coal dust and smoke,,,Oh good were the good old days and it took endless hours to get there.

Just my memories thats why I have Trainz.:cool:

Re Good Old Days

My memories of the good old days were very similar to the memories of oldfartdan. I'm talking about the days of WW2 when everyone pulled together, and you didn't have to make sure your doors were locked before you went out. Crimes were properly punished - not like today -no death penalty, and no-one serving their full sentence behind bars!

My memories of the good old days were very similar to the memories of oldfartdan. I'm talking about the days of WW2 when everyone pulled together, and you didn't have to make sure your doors were locked before you went out. Crimes were properly punished - not like today -no death penalty, and no-one serving their full sentence behind bars!

... and millions were killed in concentrationcamps for the sole reason that they were Jewish or homosexual or gypsies. I am not even mentioning the millions who died on the battelfields and during bombraids and entire cities were blown to hell. The only time when two atomicbombs were dropped on cities with no military strategic importance at all. You have to effing kidding me that you call this the good old days!

Don't drag this thread off topic please,

WW2 was a very stressful time for many but humans can shine in their moment of need

Jamie

In the good old days I remember standing on Peterborugh Station watching the non stop expresses thundering through the station at 20 mph, Deltics (my favourite, class 47,s, 40,s 46,s Pullmans, overnight sleepers, mail trains, travelling post office,s

I don't mind if the Almighty Janitor locks this but I'm wondering why people were talking about 'the good old days'

The "good old days" where when the Trainz community did not spend all its time "whinging" (US translation = "whining") about this or that and no-one was a "gimmee pig".

who were in the good old days

Technically we all are in the "good old days" now - today will be the "good old days" after enough time (and a few too many drinks and brain cells) have passed.

and the thread gets locked, because people are talking about 'the good old days'

More likely the Mod/Janitor was (or was not) an Amy Winehouse fan.

Cheers

@ H222 - Having read the thread, it was locked as it had gone so far OT. The reference to the "good old days" was specifically about the Trainz forum and not about how much better life or railways were 20/30/40 + years ago. There was little if any mention of the forum by the end of the thread. The mod even gave 2 warnings so was quite right to lock the thread when discussion still didn't rejoin the mainline.

Last edited:
good old days aye. would that cover the, what i think, is the proper traction eras. For me that would be either the 50s when steam was king in the UK or the 80s with class 31 37s and the rest of the clag monsters :D

mind you you cant forget the 90s when i was growing up.. :/ long gone the days of NSE, anglia, intercity from my line. i do miss the 86 with dbso and the class 312s! :( its not the same without the blower motors of the 86 in the distance until 86501 (if not on fire....) or a 86/6 comes through :D

trainz wise what happened to the slow server where you didnt need the FCT?

@ H222 - Having read the thread, it was locked as it had gone so far OT. The reference to the "good old days" was specifically about the Trainz forum and not about how much better life or railways were 20/30/40 + years ago. There was little if any mention of the forum by the end of the thread. The mod even gave 2 warnings so was quite right to lock the thread when discussion still didn't rejoin the mainline.

And it appears this thread isn't about the Trainz Forum either. I was a participant in the other thread and got a lot of laughs and fun read out of it. Oh well....I'm IBTL on this one too. (In Before The Lock). Are you a big fan of Amy Winehouse too? :D

Dep...an Anita Bryant fan.

Hi guys

I don't mind if the Almighty Janitor locks this but I'm wondering why people were talking about 'the good old days' who were in the good old days, and the thread gets locked, because people are talking about 'the good old days'

Jamie

EDIT: I mean this thread http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=76712

You seriously need to read the Code of Conduct, specifically number 19.

"Interfering with, criticising and / or publicly commenting about moderation decisions. Messages commenting on or criticizing forum administrative actions will be removed without warning. Any complaints or disagreements regarding forum or chat room moderation should be made by contacting Helpdesk."

Basically, if you wish to comment about a locked thred, you must contact Helpdesk, not post another thread about it, as it is likely to be removed without warning, and possibly one or more users receiving warnings and/or bans.

I have noticed a few posters in this thread that are running very close on that rule.

Shane

Hi Everybody.
If it is the good old days with regard to Trainz and this forum this thread is devoted to, then for me that would be theperiod between the release of TC3 and 2010. I had been using Trainz for a number of years before I realized that this forum even existed.

With the above in mind, when I first joined the forum it seemed to be much more international with British, American and other European posters making it very cross-border with everybody joining in topics and debates no matter where there origins were based

However, that seems to be very much changed in the last year or two. Trainz seems to have become a very American simulator and the forum seems to have gone the same way. Railworks seems to have gone very much in the opposite direction with its content and forum UK dominated with some other European interest.

I find the above a great shame as far as the Trainz forum is concerned. Of course there have always been flaming and closed threads but I felt that because of its wide-ranging international posters the forum had a much lighter feel (if you can call it that) than the present-day.

As an example, a few months ago there was a discussion on the future of American passenger trains. I remember two of us Brits entered the discussion to speak of passenger rail transport in Britain. The opening poster who was American then came in stating that “ as British nationals we should have asked his permission to join the thread as it was American”.

Perhaps these days there should not be so many threads regarding the differences between Railworks and Trainz regarding content etc. it should be the difference between American Trainz and British Railworks. Indeed I would have to say that not being American you sometimes feel unwelcome on the this forum.

Bill
Posted from the 11:10 am Edinburgh to Plymouth cross-country Voyager using Samsung galaxy tab and flex T9 on 3G (I'm not a dinosaur)

Hi Everybody.
If it is the good old days with regard to Trainz and this forum this thread is devoted to, then for me that would be theperiod between the release of TC3 and 2010. I had been using Trainz for a number of years before I realized that this forum even existed.

With the above in mind, when I first joined the forum it seemed to be much more international with British, American and other European posters making it very cross-border with everybody joining in topics and debates no matter where there origins were based

However, that seems to be very much changed in the last year or two. Trainz seems to have become a very American simulator and the forum seems to have gone the same way. Railworks seems to have gone very much in the opposite direction with its content and forum UK dominated with some other European interest.

I find the above a great shame as far as the Trainz forum is concerned. Of course there have always been flaming and closed threads but I felt that because of its wide-ranging international posters the forum had a much lighter feel (if you can call it that) than the present-day.

As an example, a few months ago there was a discussion on the future of American passenger trains. I remember two of us Brits entered the discussion to speak of passenger rail transport in Britain. The opening poster who was American then came in stating that “ as British nationals we should have asked his permission to join the thread as it was American”.

Perhaps these days there should not be so many threads regarding the differences between Railworks and Trainz regarding content etc. it should be the difference between American Trainz and British Railworks. Indeed I would have to say that not being American you sometimes feel unwelcome on the this forum.

Bill
Posted from the 11:10 am Edinburgh to Plymouth cross-country Voyager using Samsung galaxy tab and flex T9 on 3G (I'm not a dinosaur)

As an American, I don't feel that way about Brits and I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans do either. Forget what poison the press spits out. I find Americans quite fond of the Brits. Of course, there are idiots in every culture. 'The good old days' is only relevant from each person's perspective. These will be the good old days for some two years from now.
Mike

"As an American, I don't feel that way about Brits and I honestly don't think that the majority of Americans do either. Forget what poison the press spits out. I find Americans quite fond of the Brits. Of course, there are idiots in every culture. 'The good old days' is only relevant from each person's perspective. These will be the good old days for some two years from now.
Mike"

This forum should be open to anyone from anywhere. Let's keep it that way. As a noobe I received valuable advice and encouragement from Forum members all over the globe, for which I am very grateful. Probably the main reason I am still here.

tomurban

Wholbr.
I must agree with you wholeheartedly on that.
I do remember joining these forums way before the big crash, and had never really spoke to anyone outside of the UK much. The chats we used to have (called waffle then) and the stories that were told and compared from all around the world were always of great interest to me. That is one aspect of the forum that seems to have vanished now, such a shame. The good old days have passed us by. :'(

Hi Everybody.

Bill

Hmmmm....interesting perspective. Although I don't agree with it. :)
For me, the "golden year" of Trainz was 2004.
Newer releases left me pretty lukewarm to feeling downright ripped off. I'm pretty happy with TS2012AE and was glad to pay the extra amount for the gold ticket (haha...I'm joking on the ticket thing). Only disappointing thing for me was the hardware demands and the performance hit of the Speedtrees. I just don't think they are worth it.

I definitely think that the early Trainz was aimed at more of the "international" crowd than Americans. I actually made that comment back in 2006 and got a rather nasty reply from a Euro. Oh well:p . As to newer editons of Trainz being aimed at Americans...I see that as Trainz playing "catchup" after ignoring America in the earlier releases. So it all balances out.
I am a recent user of Railworks 2 and am impressed with the "balance" of locos and roling stock and routes available with that sim. I have had minimal experience on their forum, but I had a problem and folks from England didn't hesitate to help, and their help was quite valuable. I get the impression that people using Railworks tend to be generally be older than those using Trainz. I get this impression from the quality and content of the posts on their forum. I could be mistaken, of course.:)

Let me apologize to you for the terrible conduct of that American. I would NEVER do that to anyone. It's inexcuseable.

However, I don't think you will see less posts comparing Trainz and Railworks. There are very few railroad sims available, and just as there were comparisons of Trainz and MSTS, you will see comparisons of Trainz and Railworks. It's just human nature. It's also a way to improve both sims. The overhead map in Railworks is obviously a copy of the Trainz overhead map. It was something lacking in MSTS. But Railworks did make some nice improvements to the Trainz map.

At any rate, you should NOT feel unwelcome on this forum. We Americans are individuals just like the English. Some are nice and some are...well...can't say that without getting banned;)

Dep

Last edited:
Some of us can't help throwing your tea in the harbor, it's a psychotic compulsion - not to mention being SO much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HOc9WVZbts

Seriously, I did a search for "future of american passenger trains" and came up empty, you got a link or was the thread deleted? Whoever said it, I would think he ended up on a lot of ignore lists. :hehe:

Earlier versions of Trainz did have a more international feel. The good old days was probably 2007/2008 when TRS2006 still largely ruled, TC1 and TC2 were a bit of a distraction and of course along came TC3 very much British orientated, that is if you could get it to run with all those poly-heavy telegraph poles everywhere.

TS12 does of course cater to the UK market along with the US with the behemoth ECML. What's more puzzling to the core audience is the inclusion of the largely fictional and relatively minority interest routes from China, Russia and Romania.

So far as the forums are concerned, maybe it's a preconception but most of the gimmie pig/text speak/gramatically incorrect/I saw a train today style posts do seem to come from "junior" in one of the 49 (or should that be 50?) states of the US.

Hi Sniper and Everybody.
Some of us can't help throwing your tea in the harbor, it's a psychotic compulsion - not to mention being SO much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HOc9WVZbts

Seriously, I did a search for "future of american passenger trains" and came up empty, you got a link or was the thread deleted? Whoever said it, I would think he ended up on a lot of ignore lists. :hehe:

Thanks for that sniper, it was a few months back so I cannot actually remember what the full title of the thread was. However, perhaps I am being a bit disingenuous to the poster who made the remark. The thread had been running a couple of days and there was some fierce argument going on regarding funding and whether passenger trains will ever be at all viable in the states.

As it had been all Americans posting on the topic, I did state on joining the thread that I hoped the participating members would not mind me joining in the thread. Another brit also joined and commented before the opening poster replied with his comment.

It could have been that the thread argument was not going his way, and at that point he was not interested in the wonders of the British railway passenger system. (Perhaps understandable)

Anyway, I did not wish to be disparaging about all or any Americans on the forum particularly the member who made the comment. I was traveling on a crowded train when I typed that paragraph and perhaps I did not convey my thoughts that well.

What I was trying to get across was my feeling that Railworks and Trainz are going there diverging ways both in the simulators and forums which I feel is a great shame.

Perhaps my feeling of being unwelcome on the Trainz forum at times is the fact that there is so much talk now of America railways that it leaves the British forum members who regularly post feeling that we are often on the sidelines. Also there are often so few replies to postings regarding British and European Trainz content or real life trains in general that it strengthens the conviction that the forum has become very American.

Anyway, especially for our British forum members and not wishing to go off-topic for more than a minute. I have traveled down from Edinburgh on a Aberdeen to Penzance cross-country Voyager today in my usual standard class accommodation seat. As the train approached Birmingham at around 5 PM I was approached by one of the train crew who advised me that there would be seats in the first-class accommodation and I was welcome to a free upgrade for the rest of my journey on that train to Bristol.

I nearly fell through my standard class seat and immediately went through to the first-class with all the free coffee and biscuits. I did not know they did upgrades on Trains, so am i the only one to have received this, or are there others out there.

Cannot even begin to think why they did that other than the standard class became very full after Birmingham.

for whatever reason I was very appreciative:D
Bill

Last edited:
Back