Object Shadows ?

boleyd

I saw a wooden bridge in Sniper's latest creation. Looked like there was some "stuff" under it. As I zoomed in it then appeared as a shadow. Moving the goofy sun moved the shadow to verify it was real.

My question is - that is the first time I "noticed" a shadow on an object. Are they rare or am I missing something?

Hi Boleyd
Assets which support shadows has not changed for a number of years. The shadows you are seeing are off bridge assets, that have supported shadows since TRS2004 (possibly earlier?).

Currently only locomotives, bogies, and bridges support shadows.

Would be nice to expand that list with a "stacked option" that allows some selection for performance.

Note, this only works for assets that are kind 'bridge' (aka, spline type bridges that are seen by Trainz as bridges). It won't work for fixed track assets, nor for 'regular' spline tracks.

Never noticed, I don't have the kind of hardware that gets decent framerates even with shadows disabled, so I always have shadows disabled. What do you have, Dick?

Note, this only works for assets that are kind 'bridge' (aka, spline type bridges that are seen by Trainz as bridges). It won't work for fixed track assets, nor for 'regular' spline tracks.

Can you use Pev's quick chadow to create shadows for bridges that don't have them or is it written into the mesh if it supports shadows... Its just I've tried adding shadows of my own (using Pev's shadow tool) but it never seems to work.

:D

Andy

Can you use Pev's quick chadow to create shadows for bridges that don't have them or is it written into the mesh if it supports shadows... Its just I've tried adding shadows of my own (using Pev's shadow tool) but it never seems to work.

:D

Andy

You should be able too, although be very careful of the poly count on bridges :)

Take a look at one of the built-in bridges that has this feature. Note, the bridge needs to be setup as kind 'bridge'. If it is setup as a regular spline, it will not support shadows.

Never noticed, I don't have the kind of hardware that gets decent framerates even with shadows disabled, so I always have shadows disabled. What do you have, Dick?

2.4ghz e4400 Dualcore (overclocked from 2ghz), 4gb memory,
Windows7 32bit, nVidia 512mb video card. My bottleneck is Graphic Processor Unit speed. Overclocked to 685mhz from 512mhz

If things get slow I go to 1500m and some more fair weather fog.

As of Trainz 12 SP1 (3.7) KIND 'bridge' is not supported anymore. Bridges now have to be in a KIND 'track' asset. How can I add shadows to bridges? Auran's example bridge does not include a shadow.

Back