You may or may not know.

fran1

adhesion is a must
Rather than buy an external hard drive you can get a holder for your old hard drive with a USB 2 connecter to your computer.
I was at West Coast Railway Company today and was told of this, only £4+p+p off flea bay.
Just a thought.

Rather than buy an external hard drive you can get a holder for your old hard drive with a USB 2 connecter to your computer.
I was at West Coast Railway Company today and was told of this, only £4+p+p off flea bay.
Just a thought.

These are excellent, Fran. We have a couple of Thermaltake BlacX SATA drive holders.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346

These are great for taking data off of old system drives and backing up the contents, or using brand new drives as a backup device. The drives are hotswappable from the holders, and show up(mount) as an external hard drive.

John

Note you can also get them for laptop drives as well. These normally do not need a power supply although you may need a twin cable to use 2 USB sockets to give enough power.

I have used this for years and now have 160GB, 120GB, 40GB large drives and a 40GB laptop drive available for use.

You can also add spare drives to the PC, most cases will accommodate at least two hard drives.

My spare drives can be conected (up to 2 at a time!) by using a set of connectors with a power supply. No case is needed.
I bought the connecting kit on Amazon.
Look for IOMAH USB to SATA/IDE Adapter.

It works like a charm without any fiddly case to open and close!

Ian

This was my way of dealing with the complete failure (cracked motherboard) of my old computer.

As well as many fairly important documents, the old hard drive contained all my Trainz content (routes, downloads and custom). By installing it in an enclosure, everything was still available. (I did have other backups, of course.)

Ray

This was my way of dealing with the complete failure (cracked motherboard) of my old computer.

As well as many fairly important documents, the old hard drive contained all my Trainz content (routes, downloads and custom). By installing it in an enclosure, everything was still available. (I did have other backups, of course.)

Ray
Me too when I upgraded my desktop (for Trainz of course, why else?). I even kept the old Windows installation, and have actually used some of the system files from it.
Mick Berg.

I also find that some of the applications/programs on the old drive still work - including TRS2004 provided that I put the CD in - at least, it asks for it! Presumably though it would run more slowly than on an internal HD.

Ray

Laptop Harddrives

Note you can also get them for laptop drives as well. These normally do not need a power supply although you may need a twin cable to use 2 USB sockets to give enough power.
Well, at the end of today, I will have a 500gig external harddrive. Big thanks to Microsoft Win7 crashing on it and leaving it usless. Thank goodness that it is being wiped. The 2 cable thing is right. I got a USB splitter that converts 1 port to 4 ports so I am covered on that.

Microcenter here in the States has a case for Laptop drives for about $6.... It consists of a case with a drive contoller,usb cable, and screws for the case. I had an old 500 gig drive that was doing nothing, now it is my backups drive.

Back