RAM usage

fran1

adhesion is a must
Is there a way to increase RAM usage specifically when trainz is running?
Or is it auto allocated.
With no trainz I had 1132mb in use, 1105 mb standby and 3791 mb free.
With trainz, 1768 mb in use,1258 mb standby and 2937 mb free.

I'm using win 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Windows usually auto-allocates memory (as I've found) - there are tools available to free up memory, but they usually slow things down when they are doing so.

Shane

I thought trainz would have used more than 634 mb, more so with 2010 and a 64 bit o/s.
I did a comparison using 2006, 2227 mb in use, 2814 mb standby and 902 mb free.
According to the figures 2006 is using more RAM than 2010 by about 500 mb.

My comparison between TRS2006 and TS2009 was that TRS2006 was using around 1.7-1.8GB, whereas TS2009 was using around 850-900MB (including TADDaemon)

Shane

The less memory use is a good thing actually. This shows the efficientcy of the new code. Less memory used in the beginning means there's more available later for the program and other background tasks.

What you don't want is the system to be stuffed right off because that will automatically force Windows to use page file operations, meaning this will kill the performance.

John

The less memory use is a good thing actually. This shows the efficientcy of the new code. Less memory used in the beginning means there's more available later for the program and other background tasks.

What you don't want is the system to be stuffed right off because that will automatically force Windows to use page file operations, meaning this will kill the performance.

John

thanks John,
I was working on the theory that the system needs 2gb and trainz will use 4gb for all to be happy.
It was bugging me that trainz+system was using 30+% of RAM but no more than 40%.
Actually got to 2933 mb usage at 1 time
Really makes you think that 3.5 gb RAM is the most you need without wasting cash.
I might just try running 2006+2010 at the same time to see the result.

Last edited:
thanks John,
I was working on the theory that the system needs 2gb and trainz will use 4gb for all to be happy.
It was bugging me that trainz+system was using 30+% of RAM but no more than 40%.
Actually got to 2933 mb usage at 1 time
Really makes you think that 3.5 gb RAM is the most you need without wasting cash.
I might just try running 2006+2010 at the same time to see the result.

That's the problem working out the optimum amount. Getting everything balanced is difficult it depends on the layout and the assets used.

It definitely is diminishing returns but remember memory is about 1,000,000 times faster than disk and if you have 12 gigs of memory Win 7 64 bit will cache the hard drive with it and with the price of memory these days I'd go 6 to 8 gigs depending if you have dual or triple channel.

Cheerio John

Back