Multiplayer on "slow" connections

-Basti-

Hey guys,

when i'm on Multiplayer, there is the problem that i got high latencies (never green, mostly yellow or red) between 500 and 2000.
Sometimes the ping goes extremely high and it seems that the connection is lost.
With those latencies, there is a problem with synchronization.

I'm on another position in trainz as the other players can see me, i also can see their trains somewhere else (for example some miles backwards).

I've not the fastest connection (DSL 4000) and it could be more stable, yes.

But I've never had problems with other games and got quite good latencies in other games.

However, the largest problem is the synchronisation between the players, after some time, i have to reconnect to continue playing (every connect takes ~ 10 Minutes).

I hope there will be a fix for that,
i enjoyed playing very much...

Thank you

Basti

PS: Didnt try the newest beta so far, just found that thread.
I will try it!

The displayed latency time is the amount of time it takes data to get from where you are, to our US server, to the Trainz server, back to the US server and then back to you, ie a client-to-server round trip. This is why the times may seem high compared to many other games. Rest assured the gameplay is designed to handle these kinds of ping times. Here in Australia (about as far from the US server as you can get) my latency icon is almost permanently red.

Furthermore Trainz Multiplayer sends very little data and is actually designed with dial-up connections in mind, so DSL should not present a problem.

The new patch contains improvements to multiplayer communication, so you should much more accurate train positioning on the clients. It will also speed up load times slightly, but we may yet make further improvements to loading times. Please let me know how you find the new build, it should be a great improvement.

Terry
N3V Games

That said, we should probably fix the indicator coloring to be more representative of what is actually bad latency :)

Thanks for the report,

chris

Yeah, that yellow and red tells the user, that there is something wrong.

Maybe you could also tell us "normal" latencies, so we can see if there is something wrong.

I didnt check the patch until now (i am at work), but i could not find that point in changelog:
I'm on another position in trainz as the other players can see me, i also can see their trains somewhere else (for example some miles backwards).
Could there be a function to synchronize positions every x seconds / minutes?

Had also a problem yesterday with load.
Had a long train with iron ore, scrap (etc.) and unloaded it.
Another player has only seen a loaded train, i've seen it unloaded.
So I reconnected and I've also seen that loaded train...

edit:
But wouldn't it make also sense, to allow also direct connections from client to host?
Would speed up everything a lot ;-)

Last edited:
Back