Win 7 Home Premium or Professional?

stovepipe

Trainz Member
I'm in the process of buying a new PC, and I was wondering do I need Win 7 Professional to run older XP games in compatibility mode, such as TRS2006? I am going for 64-bit versions this time round.

thanks
#Charles

If your talking about XP Mode in Win7 (which is basically XP SP3 in a VM in Win7), then you'll need 7 Pro or Ultimate, but it's more cost-effective to go with 7 Pro (making sure to get a full install disc of it for the off-chance a rebuild is needed) as the stuff Ultimate has that Pro doesn't (beyond having the Premium Games disabled by default in Pro, which can be fixed later) is all to do with locking out data and spying on users.

It doesnt really matter which version of Windows 7 you use. I have TRS2004 on Win 7 Home Premium 64bit (laptop), and Win 7 Professional 32bit (desktop). The laptop runs TRS04 much better. The ONLY difference between the desktop and the laptop is the OS. In my opinion go for anything with the 64 bit.

Matt

Any software that requires 3d acceleration, eg games won't run in xp virtual mode. If that's your only reason for looking at Win7 Pro then I would suggest against it and save a few bob and go with home premium.

Rob

Any software that requires 3d acceleration, eg games won't run in xp virtual mode. If that's your only reason for looking at Win7 Pro then I would suggest against it and save a few bob and go with home premium.

Rob

I haven't had any problems running any of the old XP programs in Win7 Home premium a couple I had to select compatibility mode for, most just work.
Having used virtual OS's in Linux, it is IMO a complete waste of effort, you may as well install a copy of the OS(s) and multiboot as it takes up the same amount of disk space anyway and usually works far better.

Windows 7 Professional is for multiple hookups and networks of multiple PC's ... You only need Windows 7 Home Premium ... besides the Professional costs way too much more than "Home Premium".

Thanks folks, looks like I will just need Home Premium, which means more cash left for the graphics card..

cheers
Charles

Back