HOW DO YOU ADD A PICTURE TO A ROUTE?

motorbreath

Earth Rocker
I'm building in TRS06. I know how to add a description to a route that shows up in the surveyor and driver menus, but I don't know how to add a picture. How is this done and what size must it be?

Thanks, Jimi.

thumbnail.xxx

You want to add a "thumbnails" container to your config.txt for your route by either using Content Creator Plus (CCP) or by typing it as formatted in my example below.

Here is an example for my "Port of Providence" route:
kind "map"
username "Port of Providence"
workingscale 0
workingunits 1
water <kuid:-1:6342>
description
trainz-build 2.6
world-origin {
latitude 38,53.4,1
longitude 77,1.2,-1
altitude 0
thumbnails {
0 {
image "thumbnail.bmp"
width 256
height 256
}
}

I used a 256x256 pixel .bmp image type. I have also used .jpg and .tga before without issue.

As for 'size' - Most people will be seeing it in a small window so anything over 512x512 pixels may not be worth the effort. I have used screen shots before to make thumbnails but I will reduce the image size to 512 or less (especially if they are going to be uploaded/downloaded).

Last edited:
Here is my config file in it's original state. I tried to put the info in like the example I was shown, and it didn't work. I also added the image (bmp) to the folder when you open the route in explorer. I looked at other routes in explorer thinking I could figure this out. No such luck.

region <kuid:425968:1319>
kuid <kuid:393523:1611>
kind "map"
username "The Docks"
workingscale 0
workingunits 1
water <kuid:-1:6352>
description
trainz-build 2.6
world-origin {
latitude 38,53.4,1
longitude 77,1.2,-1
altitude 0
}

Add this to your config, since you are uploading a 2006 route:

thumbnails {
thumb {
image "thumbnail.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
preview {
image "splash.jpg"
}
}

The "thumbnail.jpg" may be named as you choose and must be a 240x180 jpg file.

The "splash.jpg" may also be named as you choose and should be a 512x512 jpg file.

The thumbnail is what shows in the DLS and the splash is what you see in the main menu of Trainz when you open it.

Add this to your config, since you are uploading a 2006 route:

thumbnails {
thumb {
image "thumbnail.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
preview {
image "splash.jpg"
}
}

The "thumbnail.jpg" may be named as you choose and must be a 240x180 jpg file.

The "splash.jpg" may also be named as you choose and should be a 512x512 jpg file.

The thumbnail is what shows in the DLS and the splash is what you see in the main menu of Trainz when you open it.

Thank you for this tip!

I just tried it in TS 2010 EE and it worked great. The preview "window" for the image is smaller in TS 2010 than in TS 2009, but it is nice to be able to add an image to represent my custom layouts.

Thanks, George, and everyone who tried to help. I got it working, and now my crappy route looks like a professional endeavor until I click on it and get subjected to the unfinished mess that it is.

Back