Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland WIP

Amazing work, as always - I love the colours and the sense of open spaces, especially in - well, in all of them!

I notice that in earlier shots you are using Kevmt's wonderful FR rolling stock - however, in TRS2010EE, I can't get these to show up at all - various different errors, mostly centred around progressive meshes being unsupported and lack of shadow meshes. Any ideas?

On another note, something I find really brings life to a layout - an asset called 'steam effect rapids' - this is an invisible asset which outputs steam in a certain direction, and can be used to liven up waterfalls and other fast-flowing water, very useful in Wales. It's on the DLS: <kuid:78193:7> by Cyberstorm. I've found it can be hard to rotate it into place, mind. I've taken to enabling random object rotation in surveyor settings and hoping for the best...

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the compliments every one, just hope the thing works on other peoples PC's when it's finished!

Fixing Kevin's items is basically a case of working through each one and updating to current standards, converting the pm to an im using pm2im, editing the mesh table, removing obsolete tags, rem's or any text in the config not in the description or licence containers or copying into, most of this can be done by running them through AssetX. Pev's quick shadows will create any missing shadows. Some of the passenger enabled carriages have a couple of missing attachment points, just delete from the config. Think I had to add a line or two to the engine specs for TS12 plus I reset the speed in a couple of engine specs so they didn't exceed WHR line speed plus change the mass in one of the carriages which refused to move over 2mph in TS12. Couple of invisible bogies with faults?? I changed for fault free ones. Was all done quite some time ago now I should add.
Some items after being converted to im turn out highly reflective, in which case pm2im needs to be set to strip or zero the speculars.
The problem with the older items sinking into the track can be resolved by using the position tag in the mesh table. position 0,0,0.07 for most items, the Garratt needs 0,0,0.065
basically this raises the mesh enough to align the wheels correctly, could just as easily be used to lower items for Mike 10's original lower track. I did actually create some replacement bogies myself for the very early ones.

I assume you have found tmz06003's updated VoF on Trainzone? It's a photo realistic reskin with an add-on mesh for some more detail, all done with Kevin's permission.

Cyberstorms rapids etc seem to have problems in TS12 which I haven't got round to looking at yet, I do have one of his waterfall things in use though at Tan y Grisiau though, easier to move around in wire mesh view, then you can see the very tiny indicator, which if I remember is nowhere near the arrows.

Thanks for the speedy reply - I can see I have some work ahead of me if I want to fix those vehicles...

I hadn't heard of pm2im before now - thanks for the heads-up. PEVsoft: 10, Auran/N3V: Nil :hehe:

I had come across the updated VoF - much impressed by it.

Malc, I have no objection to any of my fixed models being uploaded to Trainzone ( as long as Sirgibby is amenable to this).

I've just invested in a copy of 2012 myself, so I'd be interested in seeing them, myself.

cheers,
kevin

I was actually thinking of asking about that Kevin! Otherwise my route is going to look a bit empty when I eventually finish it. Will need to double check everything and make sure all the dependencies are the right build version first. Have to get in touch with Sirgibby I guess. Probably an idea if I have a word with Ben Kelly as well about his reskins some of them needed a slight update, he was very helpful with getting my WHR coaches right or fairly close.

Incidentally a couple of months ago while looking for info on the history of the WHR Kerr Stuart Diesel, I found your model of it, forgotten where now and I'm presuming it shouldn't have been there but I have it here and updated so could upload that as well if thats ok?

No requests for it please, it's Kevins model not mine.

Screenshot below in TS12

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'd forgotten about the Kerr Stuart!!

I made that back in 2004 and I think it was probably only released on the Ffestiniog website, when they used to host my models. I don't think it was ever uploaded by myself, to any others site.

I'm happy for that to be released as well.

cheers,
kevin

Love the route brilliant pipcs

Keep up the good work Clam1952

P.S. love the diesel and you are planning on releasing it, it would be a great addition for the F&WR

Thanks guys,

The Kerr Stuart as with the rest of Kevins FR / WHR items and subject to Sirgibby agreeing, will hopefully be on Trainzone, currently I'm just tidying things up so build numbers are correct for 2010 and TS12 shadows and thumbnails and a few other bits of config tidying are done to get rid of the yellow exclamation marks. Discovered a problem with Steam Engine specs, updating the build and adding the missing bits in the config doesn't work, Britomart shot off at some incredible speed off the end of the Harbour station and ended up on the far side of the harbour wheels furiously spinning! Yet when coupled to anything it just sat there shaking?? I know I'm a lousy Steam Engine driver but I'm not that bad! So I've had to do some readjustments, seems to be OK now in driver. Anyone know what the Horsepower of a Quarry Hunslet is supposed to be?

Will try and put up some more pics in a bit, Trainz PC is currently undergoing its monthly Virus scan only 3 hours so far.

How much is complete? Trackwork, all of it. Need to make a couple of buildings at Caernarfon, Pedestrian bridge and finish off station building at Waunfawr, make correct buildings for Minffordd yard, WHR Heritage Porthmadog station building, signal box or should that be hut, by Ports ground frame, correct buildings and footbridge(s) at Tan y Bwlch, sort out a better canopy for Blaenau and find or make a better Network Rail station building, fathom out some way of getting interactive stations on a slope if that won't work then I'll revert to track marks which are in place anyway. Plus I still have a fair bit of trackside vegetation to plant.

I'm using ATLS for the main road crossings smaller roads won't have traffic but have ATLS signals where applicable. Got Brittania Bridge working well with ATLS after a lot of fiddling.
AI works reasonably well Trains cross at the right places, slight problem getting anything to exit Boston Lodge on AI though.
Currently just finished some point levers, the New Tryfan Junction station building and working on Minffordd Hostel as well as Kevins stuff. Keeps me pretty busy at the moment.

Assuming a starting TE in the range 2,500 to 4,000 lb, the rail horsepower would be about 11 - 18 KW, or if you prefer 15 - 24 Hp. Not very much! You would need to change the rolling stock enginespecs from 'default_wagon' to something more realistic, if you wanted to use prototypical locomotive power. The versions of the FR locos I downloaded, were set up with diesel type enginespecs, which may be part of the problem you are experiencing in converting them?

It's a shame there isn't (to my knowledge) a TC3-quality steam engine sound for NG locos, that could be uploaded to Trainzone. That would allow the steam locos could be properly updated to TC3 standards.

The one I'm having problems with actually has a Steam Engine spec and the erm PB15 cab, I'm actually using Steam Engine Sound 2 cylinder on my own stuff so long as the speed sticks to NG speeds actually it compares quite well to recordings of the Ffestiniog stuff probably a bit louder though, I'm actually using it with the Hunslet at the moment, I don't think Kevin would mind about this one as its using the pb15 engine sound off the DLS / builtin anyway.
I've been using billegulas spread sheet, thus the Horse power question. Really need to fathom out how to make a working cab, animation isn't my strong point, it took me a year to get the running gear for my loco's and I refuse to stick a PB15 cab in my configs!

You are correct in that most of the others have diesel engine specs. The other Quarry Hunslet Lilla and the WHR Baldwin also have the same PB15 cab and spec and a couple of others, but the NGG16, Fairlies and Englands are all diesel.

On the subject of updates to Kevins models i have a complete set of current and future ng16 locos i.e. 87, 109, 138, 140 and 143 they all work in 2009 sp4 without fault, they are not finished though the textures are complete bar plates which i have some material to work with but not a great deal and im having difficulty implementing and engine spec as the old one makes them way to powerful and fast, i do have permission from Kevin to release them on trainzone once complete but unless i get some help on the last remaining problems that may be some time away. Kevin's ng16's look great after re texturing, the only problem is the cab is off centre but that can be lived with.
thanks
Patrick

On the subject of updates to Kevins models i have a complete set of current and future ng16 locos i.e. 87, 109, 138, 140 and 143 they all work in 2009 sp4 without fault, they are not finished though the textures are complete bar plates which i have some material to work with but not a great deal and im having difficulty implementing and engine spec as the old one makes them way to powerful and fast, i do have permission from Kevin to release them on trainzone once complete but unless i get some help on the last remaining problems that may be some time away. Kevin's ng16's look great after re texturing, the only problem is the cab is off centre but that can be lived with.
thanks
Patrick
I'm going to get shot here in the screenshot thread however,
Is this looking from the rear the cab is slightly to the right and doesn't line up with the rear bunker?
I think you can use the position tag to shift it http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?67756-Floating-Bogies&p=731747#post731747, for the moment you could use the espec from my Lyd or Mountaineer they are clamped at 25 mph for DCC and the builtin Steam Engine Sound 2 cylinder don't think there is a 4 cylinder anywhere!

Have you adjusted the bogies with it yet by the way?

You are correct in that most of the others have diesel engine specs. The other Quarry Hunslet Lilla and the WHR Baldwin also have the same PB15 cab and spec and a couple of others, but the NGG16, Fairlies and Englands are all diesel.

Much of my Ffestiniog stock was made in the early (pre 2004)days of Trainz, when there was no support, whatsoever, for steam.

The talk of britomart has reminded me that I did build a new version of Brit for Trainz. This was just prior to my RSI problems :-

brit09.jpg

I might see if I can dig it out and get it working.

cheers,
kevin

i have done the bogeys of the ng16 and there are a the right hieght now i think that it might need to be slightly lower as the front water tank should be in line with the whr coaches roofs.
IL post some screen shots of them during the week.
thanks
Patrick

Back