Trainz - Onboard Graphics Cards

am1969

Does Trainz run on desktop PC's with onboard graphics cards? I've been trying to launch Trainz 2004 with no sucess.

These are the specs for TS 2004 taken from an old Auran webpage

Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
PIII800Mhz • 256Mb RAM • 32Mb video card (Geforce equiv.)
Direct X 9 or higher • Direct X compatible sound card
8X CD-ROM • 56K Modem for Internet access

They are pretty low requirements so TS 2004 should run on a modern machine. Later versions of trainz really require a dedicated graphics card. Check you have up to date drivers for your graphics system. Also post details of any errors you are getting and we might be able to help more.

Edit: Please also post your computer specs and OS version.

Last edited:
Hi

Here's my computer spec's. This is a new PC i put together after the mother board on my old one packed up.

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+.
Memory : 1792MB Ram
Graphics Card : Nvidia GeForce 7050M-M (Onboard Card)

When i launch Trainz2004 i get the splash screen then a blank screen as the video mode is set then it closes down back to the desktop. I don't get any error messages. All my other games run ok with no problems.

I am planning to buy an update to the latest version of Trainz when it's released but would like to still use TrainZ 2004 in the meantime.

Personally I would recommend not using an onboard graphics card. Get a dedicated graphics card that meet up to the specs. However you may do as you wish, this is my own personal opinion and a suggestion to you. :)

Cheers,
Adam

These are the specs for TS 2004 taken from an old Auran webpage

Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
PIII800Mhz • 256Mb RAM • 32Mb video card (Geforce equiv.)
Direct X 9 or higher • Direct X compatible sound card
8X CD-ROM • 56K Modem for Internet access

They are pretty low requirements so TS 2004 should run on a modern machine. Later versions of trainz really require a dedicated graphics card. Check you have up to date drivers for your graphics system. Also post details of any errors you are getting and we might be able to help more.

Edit: Please also post your computer specs and OS version.

TS2009 actually uses less resources than TRS2004 for the same content. The problem is that most of the content is designed for higher than min specs machines. So yes it will run with built in graphics, TS2009 will still give higher frame rates than TRS2004 but the more interesting content will crawl.

Cheerio John

you might try disabling the intro in the trainzoptions file.
Add the following line to the file

-intro=disable

Mike

Thanks Leeferr, that fixed it.

I agree with John that i should use a graphics card.

Thanks all.

Which leads to the question, why did the intro not work?

Good Question. It seems to be a very common experience - there have been many threads with same symptoms, and same solution. Not a great welcome for a first time Trainz user - maybe Auran should look at getting rid of it altogether.

Phil

(For the record, I have not come up against this problem myself. I have to admit to having very little patience, and I have used the -intro=disable for the last few versions!)

Back