Nvidia Beta drivers

john_goddard

Steam freak
Has anyone tried the just released beta drivers for Nvidia cards? I suspect most would leave them alone till properly released! John.

Hi John,

I tend to leave well alone unless there's a really good reason...

One of the older simulations I have doesn't like anything after 94.4....

If you're running Vista or Win 7 ( or a Gefore 7 or 8 card it's likely to be a good idea to update (but they are called beta for a good reason!)

HTH

Colin

Hi John,

I tend to leave well alone unless there's a really good reason...

One of the older simulations I have doesn't like anything after 94.4....

If you're running Vista or Win 7 ( or a Gefore 7 or 8 card it's likely to be a good idea to update (but they are called beta for a good reason!)

HTH

Colin

I tend to leave them alone too. I tried the BETA versions of drivers once and got burned! So now I wait until they're released officially.

The Geforce 6-9 cards seem to be losing some of their umph through the release of the newer drivers. I think that there are some changes in the overall performance as they aim their ongoing support towards the newer 2xx series chipsets.

John

Beta?

:cool: Means your gonna through the thing in the fire & upload results...

It's not about "first-come first-served..."

I'm running the NVidia beta driver (195.39) on my GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 and they're running fine.
I have had some incompatibility issues with my Viewsonic VX2000 monitor at higher res, so I thought maybe the newer drivers would address that issue, but it did not.

You mention that the 9800 series cards have lost some "oomph" with the latest drivers.
That fits my problem. Ever since upgrading the driver last December, my VX2000 monitor displays "noise" when running at higher (greater than 1280 x 1024 @ 60hz) resolutions. I never had the issue with the older drivers (a version released back in Oct 2008 came with the card).
I had been using the old drivers on my Win XP machine, but after installing Win 7 (dual boot on the same machine), I had to use the latest driver, and I had to bump my screen res down to 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz to get rid of the noise.

As for TS, it doesn't matter. I have not seen any performance increase or decrease with any of the driver updates.

FW

I've just re-installed the 94 series driver (6600 GT card) - it's significantly smaller than the later drivers.

I suspect that there's a trade-off between features (of the driver) and the size of the driver.

My card can't actually implement the later features, so I guess the driver's sitting there (taking up memory) and just idling past the biots it can't run.

It does seem that I've got a higher frame rate as well.

Colin

Have Ge Force 7600 GS-256 Mb Driver Version 6.14.10.9371.

Will a later driver improve running 2009?

Have Ge Force 7600 GS-256 Mb Driver Version 6.14.10.9371.

Will a later driver improve running 2009?
Not likely. NVidia is not updating drivers to make the older hardware perform better, unless it just happens to be a side-effect of having done it for the newer hardware.
They, and everyone else in the PC business is trying to provide the best experience for users of their newer hardware.
After all, why give older hardware better performance, when you are in the business of selling new hardware?
The change-out/upgrade cycle for gamers tends to be much shorter than that for other users, and I believe the "normal" non-gamer will go for an upgrade every 3 years. Gamers probably won't last more than a year, since companies like NVidia and ATI (now an AMD owned company) are always coming out with a better card every year.

Aren't you happy that you don't have to "upgrade" your automobile so often as you do your computer?

FW

Back