windows 7 and gmax, 3dsmax 4.2

The only problem I've seen with Gmax and Win7 is an increase of corrupted gmax save files. It seems to be a random event.

John

I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit with TS04, 06, 09, 10 GMax1.2 and Blender 2.49b installed. All seem to work fine although I've been in TS2010 mostly. Blender I'm still learning. The compatability report said my video card doesn't support Aero so I don't know if that is an issue or not. It isn't for me. My previous O/S was WinXP Pro and I just couldn't see a reason to upgrade to Vista.

I'm not much into geeky desktops but the interface in W7 is fine. Though I don't understand why MS keeps trying to hide away Explorer and the DOS prompt is completly buried.

I had a couple of issues with TS2010 and my ATI card but they went away with SP1. My next present to myself is a dual monitor system so I can use window intensive programs like Blender and have the help system open at the same time.

Paul

3ds max 4.2 and windows 7

Got 3ds Max 4.2 working in Windows 7 environment, here is how:

Must have W7 PRO. Anytime upgrade is 89 bucks. Retail upgrade package at the store is 199 bucks. This was a no-brainer, took 10 minutes to upgrade online.

W7 PRO contains the Virtual PC and XP MOdes which are necessary for the ancient C-dilla software lock. First though, you must download the updated c-dilla software version 3.27 from discreet. Here is the link to the help page with download link and description of common error in XP/VISTA/W7:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5582547&linkID=9241177

After extracting the c-dilla 3.27 somewhere you can begin the Max install.

Using XP mode, install 3ds Max from the CD.

After install complete and still in XP mode, run the "cdsetup32" from the extracted c-dilla 3.27 package. Once complete will require a reboot of the Virtual PC - NOT WINDOWS 7. Just let it do it's thing and don't interviene.

Staying in XP mode, run 3ds Max 4.2 and then you will be able to complete the registration process. You may have to get a new authorization code from discreet. http://register.autodesk.com/
If you have a real version of 3ds Max then you should've already done this before at some point. If you are a pirate then you are on your own.

After everything registers, run 3ds Max 4.2 in XP mode either from the W7 start menu or Virtual PC and make stuff.

Disclaimer: Not guaranteed to work on your machine or OS.

Last edited:
Back