windows 7 and gmax, 3dsmax 4.2

slugsmasher

US Narrow Gauge kuid86661
Anyone have experience with compatibility yet?

I have basically quit doing anything Trainz due to broken XP machine and new "hot rod" computer with Vista on it (POS OS). The older Discreet software for content creation we love and hate will not work with Vista. Photoshop 7 works though.

I would like to finish a few...projects. I'm willing to upgrade, buy a new machine or whatever. Share comments on the new Windows 7 in relation to these antiquated programs.

Max only comments ... anything less than Max R9 SP2 won't be supported on Vista .. ( second hand comments say it's working on win7 ) Max 2008 and above are working on Win7 ...

I would like to finish a few...projects. I'm willing to upgrade, buy a new machine or whatever.

It would depend , if you intend to go forward with Trainz ( or other software ) and Win 7 , and are prepared to upgrade software , your best option is Max 2010 with a Sub . AD would have all the info you need on the benefits ( or not ) for this course of action.

Last edited:
Now that Windows 7 is out, many distributers here in UK are selling XP based netbooks at a substantial discount, I presume also in USA ? For something like Gmax these may be good enough. The one I was looking to buy came down by 20% to under £200, but of course the wife wanted a more expensive one because she liked the colour :confused:.

I am looking to install Gmax on this so I can use it on holiday etc. It's an Acer 751 - nice machine, but again the preinstalled software is iffy - they use Mcafee anti-virus which is a pain in the a*!e.

Dave Bird

Be aware there is no max 2010 exporter for trainz, there has already been one dummy spit over that.

Cheers

Lots

Hi Alan :)

That's why I put .. Max 2010 with a Sub ... there are a couple of benefits to be had from subscription .. some free stuff occasionally and some things he'll find out about if he asks AD about different releases.

Cheers Mate

It still beats me why anyone would want to use the latest/last operating system from MS? Vista and to a similar degree Windows 7 are such memory intensive programs, they load up a lot longer, slow down or keep quite a few programs running slower and in general (note the word general) are just a bit more eye candy compared to WinXP Pro (SP3) IMHO the best ever OS for running games and programs.

DirX 10 and 11 are not yet needed for most games and until these are, I will stick to the tried and tested WinXP Pro SP3 for a long time yet.

What's this I hear, you don't believe me? Just subscribe to or look up any tech forum or read some PC mags reviews/comparisons of these OS programs and you will see for yourself. Vista was a fiasco which Windows 7 tries to fix to a certain extend and while WinXP is still able to run 99.9% of games and programs (much faster and better I might add), I do not see a need to change any time soon.

I do/did have Vista installed on one of my PCs, I also tried the prerelease version of Windows 7 prior to its release but neither did change my opinion.

I guess this is me but so be it :p.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Vista was a fiasco which Windows 7 tries to fix to a certain extend and while WinXP is still able to run 99.9% of games and programs (much faster and better I might add), I do not see a need to change any time soon.

Well, I see it more like this:

TRS 2006 was a fiasco which TS 2010 tries to fix to a certain extend and while TRS2004 is still able to run 90.9% of the content, I do not see a need to change any time soon.

And yes, I'm still on XP too :p
(And TRS 04 + Gmax do run on my XP powered Netbook)

Anyone have experience with compatibility yet?

I have basically quit doing anything Trainz due to broken XP machine and new "hot rod" computer with Vista on it (POS OS). The older Discreet software for content creation we love and hate will not work with Vista. Photoshop 7 works though.

I would like to finish a few...projects. I'm willing to upgrade, buy a new machine or whatever. Share comments on the new Windows 7 in relation to these antiquated programs.

I am in the same boat as you. I built a new 64 bit machine last February and all the good old programs no longer worked on Vista (what a POS). I order Win 7 a couple of days ago and plan on doing a clean install of the Professional addition, which supposedly has virtual Win XP. I hope to be able to load the old programs and start creating again now that summer is over. I'll let you know how I come out.

Good to see your still around. I have done nothing with Trainz since Feb and I am getting the itch to finish some projects.

Trainz 2006 is not good on Win7 although you can run small layout fine. big layouts break somewhere in direct X it seams. o4 if fine

Sounds to me from what I've read so far of this Win 7 is factually a pre-overhauled version of asta-la-Vista ? (75% Win 7, 20% Vista, 5% XP) combined.

What are the chances of MS OS packages being slightly modified to suit other countries outside the US ? We read that 3d programs are a positive hit for some Win 7 users in the US, while on the other hand it's a negative miss for others outside the country, it wouldn't entirely come down to the user's system specs. Afterall this is a software package that is being spoken of here.

And surely the future updates to come from MS concerning Win 7 are not suited to all countries practises/standards. I found with Vista didn't run many of my earlier based progams whereas XP Pro had done.

Personally, I'll stick with XP

Cheers!

chuffy :)

Anyone have updated information on any of the old programs?

I have a new WIn7 machine and everything is kicking my butt trying to get installed. TRS2006 is working so far but gmax and 3ds max 4.2 are not getting past the initial extraction point on setup. I am running both in administrator mode and xp sp3 compatablility, no joy.

I've got W7 Home Premium, does anybody have Win7 PRO that has the XP mode? How is it working?

I have a new Win 7 Home Premium machine. I was having trouble loading stuff into TRS2004 so I found the post on how to properly install into Vista / Win 7. Today, when I went to delete TRS2004 to start over, I found an option to make an older program compatable with Win 7. It set TRS2004 to XP SP2 mode. No re-install required. Now to try it.

I'm using Gmax on Win7 with no problem, Windows 7 64 bit runs most of the old 3d stuff Vista couldn't or wouldn't easily out of the box with no need to mess with anything, to be honest here its dramatically faster than WinXP, must admit I was sceptical after the Vista fiasco.:hehe:

My experience is that GMax does not like Aero and the view windows go blank. Operating in Classic mode gives no problems, so I change to that when using GMax.

Other programs that I used to use and now have problems with are:

Fileviewer: It will run but does not show textures. Not a great problem as I really only need it to see where attachment points are, or need to be.

JetView: Will not work at all. The loss here is that I can no longer test animations outside of Trainz since I can use PEV's program to look at the mesh.

To save people replying, I cannot run XP emulation as my computer doesn't have the hardware support (according to Microsoft)

I've got TRS2004, TRS2006, Gmax 1.2 and Photoshop 7.0 so all is good so far. This is with Windows 7 Home Premium selecting compatability and XP SP3 for each.

In order to use some of the other programs like 3ds Max 4.2 I believe that Virtual PC is needed with XP mode because of the C-dilla licensing software lock. You can only do this with Windows 7 Professional. I will probably upgrade soon so I can continue with Max.

If anybody is upgrading to W7 just get the Pro version off the bat and have all the compatability tools up front.

Rich,

You can upgrade in a matter of minutes using the Windows Anytime Upgrade. Use the search feature to find it on your machine. You just get a new key and then download the XP mode and Virtual PC software. No messing upgrade process.

William

Back