Prototype Operations in Trainz

Mike,

I believe it will work in 2004. However, I am updating it to make use of a feature in Pguy's soon to be released QuickDrive rule with enhanced Environment controls. This will allow you to reset the clock to a future time, including the next day. I'm not sure if this will work in 2004. Once it is finished, would you like to test it?

Hi Dap,
I would like to give it a try, you can email the files to me
mikeaust21 at yahoo dot com dot au.
Thanks.
I like the idea of the system you have as I enjoy running freights and have tried paper card systems and spreadsheets.
I tend to run my Trainz in a dispatcher mode, moving from train to train, with sessions that can run for a week or more, with a large number of consists using Portals and Interchange tracks.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Dap,
I would like to give it a try, you can email the files to me
mikeaust21 at yahoo dot com dot au.
Thanks.
I like the idea of the system you have as I enjoy running freights and have tried paper card systems and spreadsheets.
I tend to run my Trainz in a dispatcher mode, moving from train to train, with sessions that can run for a week or more, with a large number of consists using Portals and Interchange tracks.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike,

That's the way I like to operate - the longer the session the better. Check your email and enjoy.

Wow wow wow. Awesome. Something besides CTC for traffic management. This is what I tried to invent on my own with Excel and a pad of paper beside the keyboard. This sounds great. I can't wait to try this.

Don't get me wrong. CTC is great for the mainlines. But this is so much more, inclusive of switching actual customers in a true prototype fashion. Neat.

I imagine that you do not HAVE to send the cars to a portal. Could you possibly have another railroad's transfer job come and pick them up instead? And set out? Rather than model just half of the interchange process, model both sides of it? It reads as though that is possible.

I work in TRS2004.

Hello DAP,

I too have been trying to get prototype operation in Trainz.
I like coal roads like the Clinchfield, and do mine run. I would like too help in any I can in this project.

Ed Lewis (edl)

Wow wow wow. Awesome. Something besides CTC for traffic management. This is what I tried to invent on my own with Excel and a pad of paper beside the keyboard. This sounds great. I can't wait to try this.

Don't get me wrong. CTC is great for the mainlines. But this is so much more, inclusive of switching actual customers in a true prototype fashion. Neat.

I imagine that you do not HAVE to send the cars to a portal. Could you possibly have another railroad's transfer job come and pick them up instead? And set out? Rather than model just half of the interchange process, model both sides of it? It reads as though that is possible.

I work in TRS2004.

Yes, you can use the interchange as you described. You would just set it up in the system as a destination. Basically anything you can do with 2 or 4 sided paper waybills can be done with Dave's system. The logic is very much the same.

William

Hi Dap,
thanks for the files.
I have had a quick read though and can see many hours of enjoyment here, once I can get my head around it all.
The old grey matter is a bit fuzzy at present after 3 major operations in the past 6 months. I have lots of free time so will work through it quietly, but I think I have a general idea of how it works. I can see that it fits in well with my way of setting up sessions.
I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers,
Mike

Yes, you can use the interchange as you described. You would just set it up in the system as a destination. Basically anything you can do with 2 or 4 sided paper waybills can be done with Dave's system. The logic is very much the same.

William

Actually, you can do so much more than 4 sided paper waybills. You can have as many sides to your waybill as you want. I have two set up for LCL operations where one car is routed east with a stop at nine different stations and one car north to 6 different stations, they then return to the Division station for further processing and then one is sent north to the next division and one east to the eastern division.

I guess you could have over 100 sequential moves for a car if the data string will fit into the string-table. I'm not sure if there is a limit to string size.

I work in TRS2004.

Adam,

You do not have to send your cars to a portal for interchange as wreeder has said. But, you do need a CMTM portal on your layout. It sets up the Library Class script that makes everything work.

Hello DAP,

I too have been trying to get prototype operation in Trainz.
I like coal roads like the Clinchfield, and do mine run. I would like too help in any I can in this project.

Ed Lewis (edl)

Ed,

Thanks for the offer of help. Would you be interested in landscaping and texturing my test route?

Actually, you can do so much more than 4 sided paper waybills. You can have as many sides to your waybill as you want. I have two set up for LCL operations where one car is routed east with a stop at nine different stations and one car north to 6 different stations, they then return to the Division station for further processing and then one is sent north to the next division and one east to the eastern division.

I guess you could have over 100 sequential moves for a car if the data string will fit into the string-table. I'm not sure if there is a limit to string size.

Of course you are right, I was just giving a common example to show the flexible nature of your system. I could never think of anything that couldn't be done myself.

For anyone wanting all the details about using the system you can look in the Trainzdev wiki.
From the main page, look under the Community heading and choose Content.
Then choose Category: Operations.
Then choose Operations:Car Movement & Traffic Management

William

After another read of the messages this makes my mouth water. It is exactly what I want to be able to do. Impossible in Rail Works and to complicated in Trainz with present rules. Sounds perfect.

Requested a copy of the demo to be sure I am not dreaming. I anticipate a learning curve but lots of entertainment in the process.

Well, I've been following this thread with growing interest. I think the whole concept of industries ordering products or loading capacity by wagon(loads) is very interesting. Obviously it's based on the american system, but I'm sure other country freight operations are handled in a simular way.
Apart that this idea gives real purpose to train and car movements on a layout, it also will bring the engineer, that creates the (fictional) route, the incentive to create commercial and economical designed trackwork to fullfill the demands posed by the several industries that work the system.
From what I read on trainzdef it looks like a very well thought through system you've develloped, that I would love to give a testdrive. In anticipation of a new pc before the end of this year I'm using trs2006 sp1 at the moment so I hope that will do for now. If so, be so kind to pm me and I'll give you the address to send the bèta files to.

Greetings from nighttime Amsterdam,

Jan

One thing required to implement my version of prototype operations (which like Adam's, involved a spreadsheet), is a much larger number of cars with individual car numbers. I've just created 80 cars in four types (one group of fifty 40 ft boxcars, and three groups of 10 jumbo covered hoppers) each of which has its own number so that I can keep track of what car goes where.
I don't mean to suggest that every car needs to have an individual number. At present, my route does not have any consignees or shippers who handle "stack traffic", so while there will likely be some stack traffic on the route, none of it will stop, and it won't matter if I use six separate cars with the same number, or not.

ns

It seems that I am not getting my email from Auran. Althought my address is correct in my profile, no email is getting through. So, if you would like a copy of the CMTM Test Route, send me a PM with your email address.

Hi David,

Looks like you have invented the Trainz version of British Rail's TOPS (Total Operations Processing System). This was bought in from the Southern Pacific around 1970 and is still in use today, albeit heavily modified. Its primary purpose (then) was the more efficient conttrol of the wagon (car) fleet and it certainly worked. I believe that the SP sold the system pretty widely so versions of it under different names are probably in use all over the world today.

On a different tack, have you found a volunteer to landscape your test route? If not I'll take a look, unless it's 1000 boards! One caveat is that I have no idea about US scenery so would need some guidance (links to photos etc.). I'm running TS 2009 38411.

Chris
(a long time ago TOPS Implementation Team member).

Last edited:
Remove Day Selector?

Is there a way to prevent the Day Selection box from appearing since it blocks the menu? Tried disable of my portal an system as well as originals.

Is there a way to prevent the Day Selection box from appearing since it blocks the menu? Tried disable of my portal an system as well as originals.

Once you click on a day, the window should disappear when you are in Surveyor or Driver. When you are in Driver and you click on a day, the CMTM System will do its set-up thing - assigning a destination to every car on the route, sorting the movement records as needed, etc. Look at the Trainz message window for a completion message.

Hope this helps.

Back