Monorail, Maglev, and other alternate screenshots

Bulldog1653

Hello all,

I think that it's about time we set up a topic for alternative screenshots. These can be the Monorails, Maglev train, or other non traditional forms of rail transportation. Hopefully this takes off and is as successful as some of the other topics like USA Pics, etc.

I will go ahead and start the series.

screen002g.jpg

screen003u.jpg

screen004.jpg

screen005s.jpg

screen008i.jpg

screen010c.jpg

screen012o.jpg

screen013.jpg

screen018.jpg

I don't know why I bother. I'm not the only one using a monorail, Maglev, or other unusual rail equipment for my layout but yet nobdy else wants to post.

Here are a few new shots.
Monorail Blue is shown arriving in the Contemporary Hotel to pick up a load of passengers.
screen002mia.jpg

A view from the passenger cars. One of the great things about the monorail trains is that you can see what it's like to ride as a passenger if you want.
screen003l.jpg

Look for this shot and a few others in the 'Work in Progress' thread. Monorail Blue is shown heading out to make rounds in the city.
screen004i.jpg

This was taken while I was working on adding some new stations and beams. It's pretty difficult to try and add stations and beams (especially monorails given their size) after placing buildings. I tried using the beams going right down the middle of the street and I think it works ok. Here we see monorail green headed south towards Mountain Street Station.
screen005l.jpg

As a footnote for those of you who don't know. The monorails are all identified by the color stripes. The reason I call them 'monorail black, monorail blue, etc' is because that's how Disney identifies them.
If you're interested, I wrote an article about the Disney Monorail system in the May edition of Trainz Magazine. Feel free to download and read more about the monorails.

Last edited:
Mind if I join?
Screen_180.jpg
Screen_127.jpg

Monorail Purple makes it's stop at Tomorrowland station
Screen_114.jpg

There's an unusual quite before the monorail arrives at Downtown Disney
Screen_169.jpg

a Rare opertunity to catch a shot of both monorails

I hope your thread catches on:)

good day

Great shots and thanks for the kind words.
Anybody who is doing a project with the monorail, maglev, or other kind of non traditional type of train are welcome to post in this thread.

I have to say, i like how your freelance monorail metro is comming out....
Is that the WDW monorail shed i spot?

Thanks. Yes it is. I haven't started with how far I plan to go with this. To date, I have connected 2 cities and figure there's about 40 miles or so of track. Check your PM box when you get a minute.

A few more

As I said earlier, I have a few surprises for this route. Here's one of them.

This monorail shop is set to handle 10 monorail trains at one time. At Disney World in Florida, two monorails will stay parked at different stations overnight. In the event of an overnight freeze, then the trains will be parked in the Contemporary resort to keep them protected. No monorail will spend two consecutive nights out of the shop. Monorail red, shown on the far right, is parked in the paint shed and major maintenence bay. All other bays are for general repairs and upkeep.

screen006e.jpg

This is the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) used in Disney World in Florida. In real world operations, the three beams you see take people to hotels, EPCOT Center, or the Magic Kingdom. I'm using it as a major transfer station for people in the city and possibly to other places.
screen014a.jpg

Monorail Purple is shown heading out from the TTC platform 2 into the city. The construction shown is due to the overwhelming popularity and demand for the monorails. There will be a total of 2 (maybe more) large parking garages to handle the car traffic.

screen016m.jpg

Monorail Gold is making a regular stop to pick up passengers.

screen018m.jpg

Notice there are no direct beam crossings. There are 2 reasons for this. The first and most obvious is to avoid collisions and allow the smooth flow of traffic. The second being that I want this to be as realistic as possible.
screen013j.jpg

Another crossing view
screen012b.jpg

Enjoy. I welcome all comments.

Sorry for the double post, the previous post I posted by accident.

Anyways, here are some of my pics:

screen_001_small.jpg

^The day is coming to an end and Monorail Blue makes its way towards the Contemporary Resort.

screen_002_small.jpg

^We stop at the Contemporary Resort to pick up tired tourists.

screen_002_small.jpg

^As we depart, we see Monorail Lime passing by.

screen_004_small.jpg

^Monorail Blue sees Monorail Coral

screen_005_small.jpg

^We arrive at the North Station but Monorail Orange appears to be blocking our way...:confused:

screen_006_small.jpg

^Monorail Orange moves out of the way...

screen_007_small.jpg

^...and Monorail Blue departs.

BONUS PHOTO:
screen_109_small.jpg

^Walt Disney Pictures Presents: 'A tale of two Monorail Lovebirds'. Coming to theatres August 2009 :hehe:

The floating trees found me again!!!!! run!!! haha

Very nice pics:wave:
keep at it....

good day,

Your shots are impressive. No worries on the double posting, I've done that myself.
It's kind of ironic that you mentioned a Disney movie with the monorails. I belong to a Disney forum where somebody mentioned ideas for the next Disney movie. So far they've made movies about 2 different rides (Pirates and the Haunted Mansion) and somebody said they should do one about the monorails (joking of course). That being said, I do think that someone needs to do an in-depth documentary about the monorail system and what kind of benefits it would have in major cities. Can you imagine the monorails replacing the Chicago El train? :eek: It could be interesting.

screen019.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this fits in here, but here it goes:
Screen_126-1.gif

one of my little advertisements for the route:)

Screen_177.jpg

Monorail Purple gets ready to round The Matterhorn
(yes I realize, it is missing supports, i havnt decided where they go yet)

It fits just fine. Cool shot.
One thing I really wish I knew how to make is the tug they use to pull in monorails when they break down. From what I can tell of it, it looks like a large platform with a diesel engine that rides the beam. If that was to be built, I think we could all use it on our monorail layouts. Here's a link for it.

http://davelandweb.com/monorail/popup.htm?images/70s/tug2.jpg

The other thing I'd love to see is the newest monrails that are used at Disneyland. I have no clue how to make them but it would be a cool thing to see. It might just be me, but those are some slick looking trains. Here's a link: http://davelandweb.com/monorail/popup.htm?images/2000/DSC_1736.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, that thing is so funny, when it goes by, it just chugs along..... and the poor guy that has to sit in the top is just paraded around:hehe:

Nice monorails, guys. Bulldog1653, do I see TRS2006 menu buttons on the side there? Not that it's a problem, I actually have 06, and I want that thing. Would it be under 'monorail' in the DLS, by any chance?

A+ though, people, top work:Y:

Back