Your Favorite Preserved Unit?

Hmm...
C&S SW8 No. 2019 (Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum, Calera, AL)
N&W J-Class No. 611 (Virginia Museum of Transport)
Nickel Plate S-2 No. 765 (Fort Wayne, IN)
Frisco No. 1522 (National Museum of Transportation, St. Louis, MO)*
NKP PA-4 190 (Brooklyn Roundhouse, Portland, OR)

*Note: Actually, it's in Kirkwood, but that's splitting hairs. ;)

Engine number 54 baby! It is an exBAR BL2, one of two left in the world. It is currently operating on the Stourbridge Line, between Honesdale, and Hawley, PA, the birthplace of America's railroad. I actually got to work on it over the summer, it is a beautiful locomotive.

Edit: Wow, that first sentence sounds really flambouyant lol.

Well, since you guys posted yours, I will post my two favorites Wabash F7#1189 and Illinois Central GP-11 #8733 both are at the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello Illinois and are in running condition. Now, I know everyones probably tired of hearing about MRM but honestly they are my favorites!

My favourite is the prototype Deltic locomotive. I love it because it was so different when built, using naval engines that rev at much higher speeds, and so much more powerful than anything that had come before and so faster too. It also looked fantastic in the limited colour shots I've seen of it at work and when I've seen it at the NRM(york) it just has an aura surrounding it. Currently on display at the NRM facility in Shildon.

In the picture here http://thisistheageofthetrain.fotopic.net/p53318288.html it can be seen with two other preserved locos in period colours, and you can just see how it shouted out to be noticed

Matt Wilson

Of course Southern Railway Ms Class 2-8-2 4501 which is here in Chattanooga (Getting her boiler surveyed too!)! But I would also have to Ps-4 4-6-2 1401 at Smithsonian too.

UP #833 (4-8-4) because it's the only real steam locomotive I've ever seen (ouch), apart from UP #46** (0-6-0) Both are displayed at the ex-Union Pacific Depot at Ogden, Utah.

Last edited:
My favorite would be Ohio Central Railroad's Ex. Canadian Pacific G5d 4-6-2 1293: http://ocsteam.com/1293/index.html All 3 times I've ridden on the OC, she was the loco! Once in 2002, in August I think... It was SO hot that day, in the 90's I think. :eek: Then in October of '04 when we took the train (pulled by a pair of ex CN FP7s) to their shops, and once in 07 at the Byesville Scenic Railway. Their website is http://www.bsrw.org/.

Mine would be:
UP 844
UP 4466 California State Railroad Museum
SP 4449
SP 4294 California State Railroad Museum
SP 1 C.P. Huntington California State Railroad Museum
Granite Rock 10 Califonia State Railroad Museum
WP 913 California State Railroad Museum

Matt

Last edited:
WHAT !! No aussies posted yet, can't have that * goes back to cave *

Probably D5917 preserved and run by the mob at Lauchlan Valley Railway.
Then 3830 by the Powerhouse museum.

Yea and thats it:)

Hard to pick number one. I think I would lean more towards the second one, but it is hard to decide.
Atlanta & West Point 290 - Southeastern Railway Museum, Duluth, GA.
This 1926 Lima Pacific is, to me, the epitome of modern steam. It is a USRA Heavy 4-6-2 copy, which shorter drivers and a Delta trailing truck. The A&WP didn't apply many new appliances to it, so the excellent proportions and lines that the USRA designers created back in 1919 are still apparent.
I've always felt that the USRA group of locomotives are a better representation of modern steam than the Berkshire, Texas, Hudson, and Northern. The USRA locomotives were sold to many more railroads and in higher numbers than the super power designs. Though the designs were almost forty years old, the USRA locomotives were still around to the end of steam, in some cases lasting longer than 4-8-4s built during the 1940s.

Red River & Gulf 104 - Southeastern Railway Museum, Duluth, GA.
This 1919 Baldwin American is kind of an oddball. There were very few 4-4-0s built this late. The RR&G had a reason to build it- they needed a passenger locomotive. I have never been able to compare dimensions, but the boiler of 104 looks like it was roughly the same as their 4-6-0s in logging service; they probably ordered it with that boiler to keep it light enough to run on their tracks. I think other parts were shared between the two types, which allowed them to standardize their parts inventory. 104 has a sand dome for each direction, which leads me to believe that there were no turning facilities on the RR&G.
Even though it is an oddball, it had the family look of Baldwin short line steam. If it is restored to its original or Louisiana Eastern condition, it could be a representative short line passenger locomotive. After all, that's exactly what I've done with it.
An interesting note, since Baldwin classes were defined by the cylinders, RR&G 104 is the same class as Virginia & Truckee's Genoa, Reno, and Inyo.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
NKP 587

My favorite is the NKP 587, owned by the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville, IN. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.itm.org/equipment/nkp_587.htm

It's my favorite because I used to live in Broad Ripple, and it sat in Broad Ripple Park for many years. Vandals had broken out the glass on the gages, grafittied it, and more. Then, cerca 1987 the picked it up, put it on the Monon (now a linear park) and sent it off to be refurbished. It ran for something like 15 years until it was due for another refurbishing.

Another favorite is what's known informally as the "Flagler Car"

http://www.itm.org/equipment/flagler.htm

One day when we were visiting the museum, a docent slipped out from behind a car and said, "Psst! Wanna see something really neat?" He took us to the back of the grounds, unlocked a pole barn, and led us into the darkness. From the outside, it looked like just another old car. But when we got inside, it was the most opulent train car I had ever seen!

The windows don't have sash weights. They are so finely built that when you raise one and let go, it just goes "Psssssshhhh!" and slides slowly down. The whole thing is wooden on the inside, and they wipe it down in lemon oil every month.

In the state room there is a closet in the corner. The closet door clears the bedpost by 1/16 inch! When you try to slam the door, it goes "Psssssh!" and latches gently shut.

In the dining room is a buffet with intricate carving on it. There's a niche on the buffet with a mirror. They even carved the trim that faces the mirror so that it's reflection would be pretty. Nobody sees that face directly.

The dining room also has a fireplace with a marble inlay. It's the same inlay as you'll find in the Flagler Mansion in Jacksonville, FL.

I believe the car cost $3.5M when it was built back at the turn of the 20th Century.

-- Russ

Back