Researching

Trainz Legend
Hey All ,

Yes this won't last long i realise but i have no idea about it.

What does it mean to call people a " troll " when the spam ? Ive tried researching but nothing and id like to know since i was called a troll myself in my noobish years.

Like i said sorry for starting this and please Don't ruin this thread but fighting and all that i honestly do not know what it means.

Anthony

A troll is a fearsome member of a mythical race from Norse mythology. Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of England (also called Trolls at times, see Troller's Gill) – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In the Faroe islands, Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

Here is Wikipedia's definition which is more relevant to the question:
"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

Bob

Oh ok so basicly its just a person who's being annoying?

Hmmm i don't like the fact i was called a troll now:) .

Thanks
Anthony

Last edited:
There's also the fishing term "to troll" or "trolling" where you tow a fishing line behind a boat - the line has a "spinner" attached to it which simulates a fish.

You wait to see what bites (hoefully not Moby Dick!)

This is probably a good description of the activity - post something as bait and see who bites !

Colin

Colprice, your
There's also the fishing term "to troll" or "trolling" where you tow a fishing line behind a boat
Is a good example of an internet "Troll", as it also describes a poster who follows or "Trolls" another poster, just to cause trouble or annoy. :D

Back