Australian screenshots

No reason we cant have 2 versions :D

I guess someone has yet to supply the large scale accurate plans? Your site is great and I noticed google finds a wealth of information on QR locomotives. I wish the old blokes had done as much here in Victoria.. You should pm Bilegulla, as he will need some fellow conspirators that know what they are talking about to check his build as he goes.. But don't forget the plans :eek:
Cheers
Rod

An old man remembers his youth!

When I was a lad cleaner back in 1930, I was never going to get on an engine like S301. She was VR's latest and greatest engine. A 3 cylinder brute who could put its big driving wheels a'dancing on the track as it quickly got up to 70 MPH and moved passengers along with ease. The best part about them, was that it held its feet when lifting a 700 ton Goods train up a 1:40 out of Dysart near Broadford on the North Eastern lines.
At the time old George took these pictures we were lucky to see her under load testing at Bunee Bunee. When George retired he allowed me to copy some of his pictures.
Well at least I got out of the shed tonight. In fact old George Lynch has taken a bit of a likening for me I think. Well it is always hard to tell, as I am sure that a smile would crack is cellulose collar Ha Ha! But anyway I was asking him about his camera a month ago, and as I am really interested in this new art. He actually told me a bit about it. Even invited me to help him one Saturday set up some shots. The tripod is really hard to manage on your own, and it has to be so steady when you mount the Eastman Kodak frame on top. Then set up the bellows attach a lenses adjust the focus and then uncover the glass plate. Then at exactly the right moment uncover the lenses.. wait wait that's it cover the lenses, cover the plate and remove it to a dark bag in the box.
Then lug the whole thing over the other side of the yard and set it all up once again. I read in the Argus last Saturday that Eastman have invented a film that will replace the glass negative and reduce the size of the whole camera so that one man will easily operate it. As well we should get 8 pictures to a roll of film.
Hell these 6 pictures took us 3 days to set up and get and another 3 weeks to paint the colours! But we did good! This is the original....
Screen_187a.jpg

Screen_001.jpg

This is our home for the next 12 hours! 716 has full tanks and I will move it up to the loader to top up the coal as soon as I help old George put his camera away.

Screen_002.jpg

716 loaded with coal is ready to head down the yard to get the local pass cars, and push them into the platform after the S departs.

Screen_187.jpg

K103 came up on the empty Stock early this morning, having placed its loading it is waiting the departure of the early morning pass before setting back and across to the shed for coal and water. She will run the local later this morning.

Screen_188.jpg

S301 is out on time, bloody George has got the shed man up the coal tower setting up the camera for this shot! George has missed his calling, I'm thinking!

Screen_190.jpg

Looks like old George is not the only one slacking off. The signalman was slow cranking the gates across.

Screen_191.jpg

The new coaling Tower is starting to stain up nicely as the mighty 3 cylinder quickly accelerates the train down to Town.

Screen_192.jpg

All greens and already hauling 360 tons at 55 MPH!

Screen_193.jpg

As the sun rapidly lights up the Eastern sky, the van is lost in the foliage as another day begins in Bunee Bunee.
Old George has packed the camera in the side car of his motor cycle and returns just as the shunters come out to play, with the stock train out in 2 arrivals

(anonymous)
old George did drive the mighty Spirit S301 many times I guess. He did exist. I fired for his son (Young George) And I put this together from things he told me before he retired age 60 in 1978.
Cheers
Rod

ps I wonder if this is where the name "Spirit" started...
Screen_189a.jpg

We got this picture setting up the camera.. I tell you CREEPY!!

Last edited:
The real George Lynch (Senior)

S_CAB2.jpg

I new I had a picture somewhere of George. He really was a photographer and one of Wodonga's great engine men.
This picture, obviously scanned from a magazine, is interesting. It appears to show a platform through the window, and it would not be Albury as that has no buildings on the BG end. George is wearing his work uniform and never drove the mighty S Class without his celluloid collar. It could have been old Spencer Street Station, and some time before departure. He and his mate, would wash the cab and controls down, before George would remove the coat and "sweaty" ,fit the collar and then he was ready to take his be-loved train home to Albury.
In reality I never drove steam on the "5 foot 3" only on Diamond Valley's little 7 1/4" :D But it is interesting to note George is watching the duplex air gauge. I presume it shows the Main Reservoir pressure and the Brake Pipe pressure. Both needles are near zero, which probably means their is a compressor test being conducted. On Diesels not possible, but it may be that the main reservoir has been drained ,the Simplex compressor shut down, and he is counting the time it takes to gain working pressures once more? Possibly a way of learning how he is going to handle the beast today? Guessing here, someone might know?
Unfortunately I was informed most of his glass negatives were taken to the tip when young George passed away around 1981. It is really sad when ones passion is not respected by one's own family.
Cheers
Rod

Last edited:
My first reskin:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know all the colours are wrong but it looks close enough for me( I used VR Blue since i can't find "Royal BLue" )

myfirstreskinom2.jpg

Anthony:wave:

Last edited:
G'day from Amsterdam, everybody!

It's fantastic to see so many great shots from everyone. Since I've left the dry and dusty country I've kept track of little in the Aussie trainz world, but it's really fine to see it's all still alive. All the new VR content is really shaping up to a comprehensive package. Lovely.

Bill, you expressed interest in making a QR loco such as the BB18? Well, I've searched for countless hours to find a high-res plan of the loco with no luck. I don't know of any books which will have any comprehensive plans. There might be some out there, but so many books on QR steam are very hard to find, even on Biblioz.com or Ebay.

At the Zig Zag Railway however, there is a very detailed plan of the BB18 (as well as a C-17 and an AC16) on the wall in the workshop there. I'm sure there must be someone near the Zig Zag who could ask to scan or copy it for you, or try to find the source. I tried to take photographs of them, but they were a little too distorted. From memory, the diagrams they had on the wall were at least A3 size with very fine print.

I don't know if this is any interest to you, since I have many weeks before I return to Australia and am so many miles away, but I have a partially complete model of a BB18 on my computer. It's probably half finished, as accurate as I can make it. I was using three hundred odd detail photos of it. When I get back, I will happily send that to you, though it won't happen for at least two months.

To everyone else, if you think Cityrail has issues or the suburban Melbourne network is problematic, you need to pay a visit to Egypt. So many of the windows in their carriages were riddled with what could only be bullet holes, and the grime on their locos and stock seemed so permanent, and almost a part of their livery. Most of the locos I saw had steel bars on their front windows, and all trains had armed guards accompanying every trip.

On the express train from Cairo to Aswan, the train was stopped for fourteen hours due to a derailment about a hundred miles away from Luxor, roughly doubling the journey time.

When I got to England, I really missed traveling on the trains in Egypt. Though they were lousy, dirty and inefficient, they didn't have patronising voice messages telling me that the doors were closing, and I could have a satisfying cigarette in the vestibule and chat in broken English (or Arabic) and meet some amazing personalities.

We really have it good in Australia.

Enough of this rant, anyway. I hope everyone across those many oceans is doing well, and it's great to see the rambunctious fever driving content creation is still strong.

Peace all, don't eat that yellow snow.

Jim.

I'm going to ZZR tomorrow and will ask about those plans, Hey bill, if your interested in making a C17 I know of a few ZZR members who would probably be more then happy to see 934 sent to your door:p

Tom

G'day from Amsterdam, everybody!

It's fantastic to see so many great shots from everyone. Since I've left the dry and dusty country I've kept track of little in the Aussie trainz world, but it's really fine to see it's all still alive. All the new VR content is really shaping up to a comprehensive package. Lovely.

Bill, you expressed interest in making a QR loco such as the BB18? Well, I've searched for countless hours to find a high-res plan of the loco with no luck. I don't know of any books which will have any comprehensive plans. There might be some out there, but so many books on QR steam are very hard to find, even on Biblioz.com or Ebay.

At the Zig Zag Railway however, there is a very detailed plan of the BB18 (as well as a C-17 and an AC16) on the wall in the workshop there. I'm sure there must be someone near the Zig Zag who could ask to scan or copy it for you, or try to find the source. I tried to take photographs of them, but they were a little too distorted. From memory, the diagrams they had on the wall were at least A3 size with very fine print.

I don't know if this is any interest to you, since I have many weeks before I return to Australia and am so many miles away, but I have a partially complete model of a BB18 on my computer. It's probably half finished, as accurate as I can make it. I was using three hundred odd detail photos of it. When I get back, I will happily send that to you, though it won't happen for at least two months.

To everyone else, if you think Cityrail has issues or the suburban Melbourne network is problematic, you need to pay a visit to Egypt. So many of the windows in their carriages were riddled with what could only be bullet holes, and the grime on their locos and stock seemed so permanent, and almost a part of their livery. Most of the locos I saw had steel bars on their front windows, and all trains had armed guards accompanying every trip.

On the express train from Cairo to Aswan, the train was stopped for fourteen hours due to a derailment about a hundred miles away from Luxor, roughly doubling the journey time.

When I got to England, I really missed traveling on the trains in Egypt. Though they were lousy, dirty and inefficient, they didn't have patronising voice messages telling me that the doors were closing, and I could have a satisfying cigarette in the vestibule and chat in broken English (or Arabic) and meet some amazing personalities.

We really have it good in Australia.

Enough of this rant, anyway. I hope everyone across those many oceans is doing well, and it's great to see the rambunctious fever driving content creation is still strong.

Peace all, don't eat that yellow snow.

Jim.

Oh, right, almost forgot, good to see you back Jim, Ed, Dirty Bugs, whatever your being called these days, oh, right James :p

I look forward to meeting up with you again, perhaps at ZZR on that driver experience thingo we talked about, Dirty train men, blowing up engine one at a time:hehe:

Tom

Tisk Tisk....Looks like QR is the flavour of the month ...!
The Boobless_one is overseas as far as I know He didnt get time to slip me his latest mesh n textures to release on his behalf...oh well I myself are slack and have been involved in work matters for ages now and dont have much gmax time at the moment if I do I generally get side tracked n put the time into so many other half finished items.
As for my unfinished QR fleet ............................? You Ask?
:eek: ....................................................................................
Works in 04 06 n TC......."Yet to purchase TC3 (but will)"
And People I wish I could do Layouts like you Guys ...Might inspire me to finish a few things ...I will get a screen of the latest versions this week ....not started trainz for a while too busy with other things ;)

An other hotel coming to your area soon,

qnlk7.jpg

qn2qb4.jpg

previous content shown has been uploaded to the DLS.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Willem2 & Dreddman,

Willem2 your doing excellent work with your buildings. Even though they're QLD ones, I can still see them being used in our Narrandera_Tocumwal branch Line Project. Between you & VinnyBarb, there's some great 'niche' areas of the Trainz paraphernalia being covered. Thank you!.

Dreddman I 'hear what you say' (ie your pretty busy with stuff), so I will sit down & tremble as quietly as I can, in this corner. I still haven't re-installed FSX Flightsim, but will try & get stuck in to our (Craig "Seeseeme") project mentioned above.

:wave:

Thanks for the response, if you want anything "southern" Noel let me know. (If you can send me VB or Fosters textures I can make a Victorian version.)

jpereira, yes we have some rooms empty and for the rest of the day free beer.

Bill.

Last edited:
Back